Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
Like Tree9Likes

Is this a sheath

This is a discussion on Is this a sheath within the Cattleya Information forums, part of the Frequently Asked Questions category; I don't know..but I didn't notice that until you brought it to my attention...my first ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #21
    clintdawley's Avatar
    clintdawley is offline Wrapped in metal..wrapped in ivy...
    Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    2,743
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I don't know..but I didn't notice that until you brought it to my attention...my first impression is a virus...


    Quote Originally Posted by wetfeet101b View Post
    I just noticed that two of the flowers have color streaks on the backs.
    Is that normal for that cultivar?

  2. #22
    nyortiga's Avatar
    nyortiga is offline Member
    Real Name
    Nancy Ortiga
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, vanda, dendrobiums
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    50
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Clintdawley, I sincerely hope its the wrong impression.. If it were virused, wouldn't that mean it will be sickly, deformed and not growing well? As you can see the plant is normal and healthy, in fact another sheath is about to put out a spike.
    I think the color streaks are just imperfections on the bud cover. Anyhow what would Bruce and other experts say?

    I don't know..but I didn't notice that until you brought it to my attention...my first impression is a virus...

  3. #23
    clintdawley's Avatar
    clintdawley is offline Wrapped in metal..wrapped in ivy...
    Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    2,743
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Not necessarily. Some virused plants can appear healthy. On the next blooming cycle, check for the streaks again..if they appear on the flowers, have the plant tested.


    Quote Originally Posted by nyortiga View Post
    Clintdawley, I sincerely hope its the wrong impression.. If it were virused, wouldn't that mean it will be sickly, deformed and not growing well? As you can see the plant is normal and healthy, in fact another sheath is about to put out a spike.
    I think the color streaks are just imperfections on the bud cover. Anyhow what would Bruce and other experts say?

  4. #24
    LAVIE's Avatar
    LAVIE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    The light will always let you know however, sometimes it can be hard to see it light or not. Caution when you do have a sheath; do let water get inside the sheath or your bloom will rot & will not form.

    To prevent water from staying inside you can one of two things. First option, make a small cut at the base of the sheath, right where it comes out of the pseudo-bulb, or your second option is to make very thin a cut along the outside of the sheath to let water out. I have waited for 2 years to another bloom because the blooms from the year before rotted on me. I am actually waiting on a cattleya I bought 2 years ago with bloom with light blue/cream color and a great fragrant.

  5. #25
    wetfeet101b's Avatar
    wetfeet101b is offline It's not dead! It's just permanently dormant.
    Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,332
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clintdawley View Post
    Not necessarily. Some virused plants can appear healthy. On the next blooming cycle, check for the streaks again..if they appear on the flowers, have the plant tested.
    To add to that, there are several different kinds of viruses that could afflict a plant.
    Several conditions need to be met in order for the virus to manifest its symptoms.

    A particular orchid might be infected with a cymbidium mosaic virus and never show any symptoms, leading the grower to think that it is virus-free. It then comes into contact with a healthy cymbidium plant and ends up infecting the cymbidium.
    The cymbidium then begins to manifest the obvious signs and the grower wonders where the virus came from.

    As a precaution, keep the plant away from any other plant until you get definitive results on whether it is a virus or not.

    Just because a plant looks virused, does not mean that it is.
    Just because a plant does not look virused, does not mean that it is not.

  6. #26
    jfrizz743 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    561
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wetfeet101b View Post
    To add to that, there are several different kinds of viruses that could afflict a plant.
    Several conditions need to be met in order for the virus to manifest its symptoms.

    A particular orchid might be infected with a cymbidium mosaic virus and never show any symptoms, leading the grower to think that it is virus-free. It then comes into contact with a healthy cymbidium plant and ends up infecting the cymbidium.
    The cymbidium then begins to manifest the obvious signs and the grower wonders where the virus came from.

    As a precaution, keep the plant away from any other plant until you get definitive results on whether it is a virus or not.

    Just because a plant looks virused, does not mean that it is.
    Just because a plant does not look virused, does not mean that it is not.
    To this end, I know of a company that sells testing strips you can use at home to test your plants for Cymbidium mosaic virus (CymMV) and Odontoglossum ringspot virus (ORSV), commonly referred to as Tobacco mosaic virus - orchid strain (TMV-O).

    Anyone who would like further info, just pm me...

  7. #27
    wetfeet101b's Avatar
    wetfeet101b is offline It's not dead! It's just permanently dormant.
    Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,332
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Geoffrey,

    I have read about those kinds of home test strips as well. It would be good for testing one or two plants that is really bugging you. However, to test my entire collection, it would cost me between $500 to $900.00. And this is only for a collection with 200 plants.

    Imagine how much it would cost Bruce (or anyone else with really large collections) to test all their orchids.

  8. #28
    jfrizz743 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    561
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wetfeet101b View Post
    Geoffrey,

    I have read about those kinds of home test strips as well. It would be good for testing one or two plants that is really bugging you. However, to test my entire collection, it would cost me between $500 to $900.00. And this is only for a collection with 200 plants.

    Imagine how much it would cost Bruce (or anyone else with really large collections) to test all their orchids.
    well, yeah, I wouldn't suggest you test all your plants, especially ones that have given you no problems. However, if you have a plant that just doesn't seem to want to grow when others of its genus do well, that may be a candidate for testing. And then of course, if it blooms and its flowers have strange color breaks that would also be a candidate. Or if its leaves are mottled or streaked, and you've ruled out fungus...

  9. #29
    nyortiga's Avatar
    nyortiga is offline Member
    Real Name
    Nancy Ortiga
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleya, vanda, dendrobiums
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    50
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Hi,
    Going back to the topic of sheaths, attached is the picture of the same sheath now shriveling and drying out. Notice however the brown spots- is this a sign of the viral or fungal infection? Its been raining here, so thought that might have affected the sheath. I still have to search for a lab that can do the virus testing here in Manila. Perhaps the local Orchid Society can help.
    Anyhow, note also a new sheath that has produced 4 new buds!!
    Thanks for your advise!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  10. #30
    rich63's Avatar
    rich63 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Columbus OH.
    Posts
    952
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks Nancy for this thread,it has been very helpful to new growers.Clint,candling the sheath is a very smart idea. Take care,Rich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. change from w/o sheath to w/sheath
    By KC C in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
  2. *screech* IT HAS A SHEATH!
    By sand_tiger86 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
  3. Cattleya in Sheath?
    By Cjcorner in forum Genus Specific
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 11th, 2007, 03:46 AM
  4. Could my Catt be in sheath?
    By Elena in forum Genus Specific
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
  5. Sheath to cut or not to cut that is the ?
    By WolfinKW in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.