Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
Like Tree52Likes

Cattleya bloom(s) on the way!

This is a discussion on Cattleya bloom(s) on the way! within the Cattleya Information forums, part of the Frequently Asked Questions category; I do agree with the above is not catt but more toward native Dendrobium from ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    11,157
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I do agree with the above is not catt but more toward native Dendrobium from Papua New Guinea and Australia looks to me like Jack said D. speciosum or maybe others.

  2. #12
    Lin Goncalves is offline Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & indigenous
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Posts
    93
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Just googled the Dend. speciosum and it does look like this is what's on the way - watch this space!

  3. #13
    Sheryl's Avatar
    Sheryl is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    968
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traci View Post
    Excited to see what blooms. I don't have a single cattleya. Not sure exactly why- maybe I'm nervous about opening up those floodgates
    Traci, I only have one and it's never bloomed for me in 4 years.

  4. #14
    Chris in Hamilton is online now Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,495
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Traci, I only have one and it's never bloomed for me in 4 years.
    Now, this is why you're supposed share your problem. So you can be helped as in an intervention. Why don't you give some info regarding name, growing conditions and a picture or two?

  5. #15
    Traci's Avatar
    Traci is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    562
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    Now, this is why you're supposed share your problem. So you can be helped as in an intervention. Why don't you give some info regarding name, growing conditions and a picture or two?
    Sheryl I feel your pain. Hope these folks can help out. I'm sure they can.

  6. #16
    JDT's Avatar
    JDT
    JDT is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    2,416
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    A landscaper friend gave me the one I have back in 2009 that he had gotten out of a yard he was redoing and the customer did not want the orchid any longer. He did not know what it was and at first I treated it as a Cattleya then after a few years decided that it was not a Cattleya, then I thought it was a Schomburgkia so I mounted it and put it in direct sunlight for most of the day. It finally bloomed for me last year and that is when I figured out that it was a Dendrobium speciosum, it did not bloom for me this year even with the new PB's that have grown. I did notice last year that the blooms came from more mature PB's not the new ones. I decided several months ago to take it off the mount and put in a pot that I still keep in the direct sunlight. If I am right on the name you are going to enjoy what blooms!
    Name:  Dendrobium speciosum.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  379.5 KB
    Name:  Dendrobium speciosum macro.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  304.0 KB

  7. #17
    ksriramkumar is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bangalore,India
    Posts
    4,872
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Very nice story. I wanted to grow this but hard to come by and don't have too many landscaping friends. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    A landscaper friend gave me the one I have back in 2009 that he had gotten out of a yard he was redoing and the customer did not want the orchid any longer. He did not know what it was and at first I treated it as a Cattleya then after a few years decided that it was not a Cattleya, then I thought it was a Schomburgkia so I mounted it and put it in direct sunlight for most of the day. It finally bloomed for me last year and that is when I figured out that it was a Dendrobium speciosum, it did not bloom for me this year even with the new PB's that have grown. I did notice last year that the blooms came from more mature PB's not the new ones. I decided several months ago to take it off the mount and put in a pot that I still keep in the direct sunlight. If I am right on the name you are going to enjoy what blooms!
    Name:  Dendrobium speciosum.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  379.5 KB
    Name:  Dendrobium speciosum macro.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  304.0 KB

  8. #18
    Chris in Hamilton is online now Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,495
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    Very nice story. I wanted to grow this but hard to come by and don't have too many landscaping friends. LOL
    Me too! We have kingianum (7-8 varieties) coming out the wazzoo where I am but no speciosum.

  9. #19
    Sheryl's Avatar
    Sheryl is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    968
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Very beautiful flower Jack and a good story!

    ---------- Post Merged at 06:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    Now, this is why you're supposed share your problem. So you can be helped as in an intervention. Why don't you give some info regarding name, growing conditions and a picture or two?
    Thanks Chris. I'm pretty sure I just wasn't giving it enough light. I moved it in the spring and it has grown 2 new pb. In the pic you can see the 2 older pb have two sheaths from last year that dried up. The plant is a Bullara Redland Sunset.

    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  139.3 KB. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  128.6 KB

  10. #20
    Chris in Hamilton is online now Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,495
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    ---------- Post Merged at 08:56 PM ----------

    imho,1st impression, is that its over potted. Was it a seedling when you got it? That is a Den. we can see in the pot to the right behind it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cattleya - will it bloom?
    By katemcgt in forum Cattleya Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 24th, 2015, 04:27 PM
  2. All green but no bloom - how to bloom cattleya orchids
    By Velamen in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
  3. Various cattleya in bloom
    By wolf71758 in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM
  4. cattleya when will it bloom
    By iwang in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM
  5. My first ever Cattleya in Bloom
    By salvador1970 in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.