Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums
The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!
OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"
Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.
Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.
This is a discussion on Renanstylis Azimah x Renanthera Bangkok Flame within the Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Originally Posted by Dorsetman I love this genera , and buy all I see offered, ...
Twice a year blooming is about average for renantheras and hybrids here, while some bloom 3 times a year.I've had my fair share of renantheras and hybrids and have killed off most of them. Btw I still have 2 varieties of Rnps Lena Rowold, very temperamental bloomer; and what I thought to be Ren Nancy Chandler which actually is Nancy Chandler x storeii after checking and deciphering the very faded name tag.
Do you have the Ren Singaporean ? This is very popular at the moment and appears to be easier to grow. I have given up on Ren Prince Akihito after 3 failed attempts.
Congrats and syabas on your success with the vandaceous orchids.
Thanks everyone for looking in and for your comments.
@ Betty: Thanks, Betty. I just hope it blooms in my lifetime - whatever is left of it.
Thanks for your response to my questions Yew Sung. I wish I had a Renanthera that bloomed four times a year! Oh well I have only had most of my orchids for a few to several months (not even close to a year). I am still learning......time will tell. AL
Hi Yew Sung ; here's a pic of my Nancy Chandler ( acquired 30/10/10) in a 4.5inch pot. Has a new root growing, so it has started on the long road to flowering. How long do you reckon ?
My suspicion from what I see and what I hear, is that in your conditions they grow too well, and don't get stressed - and conversely in UK the opposite may be true, which will be why I flower them easily. But I suspect it will take me at least two years to get this big enough for the optimistic me to look for spikes. I see that it is 25% R.monachica, which blooms for me on a plant only inches high , and the other 75% is R.storei - mine is maybe 20 inches or so and has bloomed two or three times. So I am thinking that I should not have to wait until its 3 feet .
In case you wonder - the ghostly finger and thumb are mine - I always wear latex gloves in the greenhouse , otherwise constant exposure to water gets my skin chapped.
Thanks Yew for sharing this very attractive plant. I am still looking for my first renanthera.
Wow: I want this one!
@Geoff: I think I must have bought Nancy Chandler from the same vendor. I have two, which are the same size and are doing well.
this must be a prolific bloomer, judging by the number of old spikes in the photo. A lovely bright red too.