Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree21Likes

Cattleya quadricolor

This is a discussion on Cattleya quadricolor within the Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Cattleya quadricolor also known as Cattleya chocoensis and Cattleya candida. This species is producing beautiful ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Horst is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Horst Dieter Eisele
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul
    Posts
    639
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Cattleya quadricolor

    Cattleya quadricolor also known as Cattleya chocoensis and Cattleya candida.
    This species is producing beautiful flowers with large segments but with a poor shape.
    Petals and sepals are forming a bell shape and normally don't spread out.
    This flower is a good example why it has the name quadricolor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Such a pretty color. Pity it doesn't fully open up.

  3. #3
    gavstang's Avatar
    gavstang is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Gavin Tang
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can u limit yourself?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    565
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Lovely colours...ditto on the not opening up..

  4. #4
    Halloamey's Avatar
    Halloamey is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    5,363
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Yes I see what you mean. I have one with a pink flowers and a better form but that beautiful spot on lip is not so dark in my plant, also the plant is currently recovering from a bad case of rhizome rot, just two pseudobulbs and 1 new growth. I also find that this specie is not so vigorous under my warm climatic conditions.

  5. #5
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Wow, such a beautiful orchid bloom. The center is so mesmerizing.

    CHeers,
    BD

  6. #6
    Dorsetman's Avatar
    Dorsetman is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England, South coast.
    Posts
    3,249
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    This idea that all flowers must lie flat is one which raises my hackles . Bell shape or cupped is a perfectly nice shape , Nothing wrong with it at all . This nonsense is all the fault of judges of course, trying to set standards by which flowers can be judged. The standards are completely arbitrary. I could go on in this vein for pages and pages...

    Lets just say that I think it is a beautiful flower, and to h*** with judges.

  7. #7
    gavstang's Avatar
    gavstang is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Gavin Tang
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can u limit yourself?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    565
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    This idea that all flowers must lie flat is one which raises my hackles . Bell shape or cupped is a perfectly nice shape , Nothing wrong with it at all . This nonsense is all the fault of judges of course, trying to set standards by which flowers can be judged. The standards are completely arbitrary. I could go on in this vein for pages and pages...

    Lets just say that I think it is a beautiful flower, and to h*** with judges.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suppose judging is the act of trying to ascertain the relative merits of the specimen based on a limited set of criteria without taking into account the multiplicity of opinions and views. A non exhaustive list of judging criteria would be rather confusing I suppose. However, to say Blondes are preferable to brunettes is rather ignorant as I can attest to the merits of both! Sorry for the hyperbole and analogy...Im not sure if everyone understands me..

  8. #8
    Dorsetman's Avatar
    Dorsetman is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England, South coast.
    Posts
    3,249
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavstang View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suppose judging is the act of trying to ascertain the relative merits of the specimen based on a limited set of criteria without taking into account the multiplicity of opinions and views. A non exhaustive list of judging criteria would be rather confusing I suppose. However, to say Blondes are preferable to brunettes is rather ignorant as I can attest to the merits of both! Sorry for the hyperbole and analogy...Im not sure if everyone understands me..
    But what about red-heads ? So much more fire and passion... ( if only I were 21 again)

  9. #9
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by gavstang View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suppose judging is the act of trying to ascertain the relative merits of the specimen based on a limited set of criteria without taking into account the multiplicity of opinions and views. A non exhaustive list of judging criteria would be rather confusing I suppose. However, to say Blondes are preferable to brunettes is rather ignorant as I can attest to the merits of both! Sorry for the hyperbole and analogy...Im not sure if everyone understands me..
    Weeell. I think this was before your time, Gavin. Actually it was 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' - ordinary men,not the 'gentle' type couldn't care less as long as it was either Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell. Come to think of it some would care even less as long as it was a girl! Orchid judges are just like the 'gentlemen' - ordinary orchid folks like us will settle for what we can get or like but that won't stop us for wishing for the perfect one.

    In case I might offend Geoff or redheads I must also include Maureen O'Hara - now there was fire and passion!

    Sorry, folks for having to go such a long way back - I was 21 then. LOL

  10. #10
    gavstang's Avatar
    gavstang is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Gavin Tang
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    How can u limit yourself?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    565
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Weeell. I think this was before your time, Gavin. Actually it was 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' - ordinary men,not the 'gentle' type couldn't care less as long as it was either Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell. Come to think of it some would care even less as long as it was a girl! Orchid judges are just like the 'gentlemen' - ordinary orchid folks like us will settle for what we can get or like but that won't stop us for wishing for the perfect one.

    In case I might offend Geoff or redheads I must also include Maureen O'Hara - now there was fire and passion!

    Sorry, folks for having to go such a long way back - I was 21 then. LOL
    Maureen who?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cattleya White Crystal Cattleya harrisoniana and rhy digbyana new orchids
    By jeffrey6115 in forum **NOT IN BLOOM** All Genera
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
  2. Cattleya Snow Blind 'Snowflake' x Cattleya Violacea 'Muse' FCC/AOS
    By rich63 in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
  3. Cattleya Maikai x Cattleya Maxima 'pearly shell'
    By Cjcorner in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
  4. Cattleya Old Whitey x Cattleya gaskelliana 'Nitsuga's White' HCC/AOS
    By hoanglong in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
  5. C. quadricolor 'Elly' AM/AOS
    By lienluu in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.