Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Stonehenge

This is a discussion on Stonehenge within the Eye Candy forums, part of the Land Plants category; *envious sigh* That looks like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Thanks for sharing with ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    mtequine's Avatar
    mtequine is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    947
    Member's Country Flag
    Recipes
    2

    Default

    *envious sigh* That looks like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Thanks for sharing with us!

  2. #12
    Kerry's Avatar
    Kerry is offline Too much to learn, let alone re-member!
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vandas, Catts, Paphs
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South West London
    Posts
    1,318
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clintdawley View Post
    I've never been..but I will go someday...and Kerry and I can have proper fish and chips and I'll wash my face in the same place
    oh, the pressure! .... it's only 6.37am and I am starting to worry whether or not the local chippie would be a good enough example to showcase the delights of english fish and chips... I have to make sure that your first taste of fish and chips is as good as my first taste of fried catfish and hush puppies!

    And I'll try to make sure that it rains so there is a puddle for you to wash your face in....

  3. #13
    sadie's Avatar
    sadie is offline Senior Member
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal Vanda Aer Angrm Catts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    I'm so envious--Stonehenge is on my list of must-visit locations. I'm not sure I'd drink the water off them, but then again they've been out there in the sun for hundreds of years, cleaned by the rain etc--it was probably cleaner then my glass. The photo of you and Louis is great.

  4. #14
    jfrizz743 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoffrey Melton
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like I could really choose...
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    561
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I went to Stonehenge once, about 13 years ago, but didn't get to go inside, that's so cool! And was it not just incredibly windy out there?

  5. #15
    JUDIUK is offline Senior Member
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Harpham in East Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    You can go off some people! I've only been the once, but we seemed to be miles from the stones! Lucky hound! The thing that really fascinated me was the difference in temperature between the different stones.

  6. #16
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrizz743 View Post
    I went to Stonehenge once, about 13 years ago, but didn't get to go inside, that's so cool! And was it not just incredibly windy out there?
    There was some wind, but for the most part it was really pleasant. I had half expected rain and soggy-cold conditions. We were lucky that the sun was out and the winds were calm while we were there.

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDIUK View Post
    You can go off some people! I've only been the once, but we seemed to be miles from the stones! Lucky hound! The thing that really fascinated me was the difference in temperature between the different stones.
    I felt the stones, but did not notice a difference in temps between them. I did see the different colors between the 'blue' stones and the others.

    The most mystical thing about the place was the ravens. Because we had a private tour, there were not any other tourist around. We were there before the site officially opened. The ravens (about 200 that live there in and around the stones according to the security guard on duty) were very strange. The watched us very closely; even swooping down around us when we would kneel or sit next to the stones. My students made up stories about how they were the Druid's souls or guardians. I personally thought that they just found a cool place to live.

    Cheers,
    BD

  7. #17
    mtequine's Avatar
    mtequine is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    947
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    The most mystical thing about the place was the ravens. Because we had a private tour, there were not any other tourist around. We were there before the site officially opened. The ravens (about 200 that live there in and around the stones according to the security guard on duty) were very strange. The watched us very closely; even swooping down around us when we would kneel or sit next to the stones. My students made up stories about how they were the Druid's souls or guardians. I personally thought that they just found a cool place to live.

    Cheers,
    BD
    Oh, I don't know, Bruce....I may have to disagree with you here. I think there is something very intense and magical and cool about ravens! They are truly one of my favorite birds!

  8. #18
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtequine View Post
    Oh, I don't know, Bruce....I may have to disagree with you here. I think there is something very intense and magical and cool about ravens! They are truly one of my favorite birds!

    LOL - I said that I thought they were the most mystical part of Stonehenge. hehehe... At least, that is what I thought I said. I meant it anyway. lol!

    Cheers,
    BD

  9. #19
    JUDIUK is offline Senior Member
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Harpham in East Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Ah now I expect you know the story about the ravens at the tower of London? If they leave then the country will fall. So they clip their wings (it doesn't hurt) Mind you if you were fed everyday non-stop by tourists would you fly away?

  10. #20
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUDIUK View Post
    Ah now I expect you know the story about the ravens at the tower of London? If they leave then the country will fall. So they clip their wings (it doesn't hurt) Mind you if you were fed everyday non-stop by tourists would you fly away?
    Yes, I got to see the ravens and hear about why they must stay at the tower. I had such a wonderful time in London. I would love to go back someday.

    Cheers,
    BD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.