Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree24Likes

Lopophora williamsii

This is a discussion on Lopophora williamsii within the Eye Candy forums, part of the Land Plants category; i killed one of this when i was teenager, when i first started with cactus. ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Lopophora williamsii

    i killed one of this when i was teenager, when i first started with cactus. in fact i killed many of them. the sad thing is many of those cactus that i killed is getting harder to find nowadays.
    i found this one in Sungai Buloh nursery, left unattended under the rain, the media is soaked with water and filled up with moss. bought if for two years and finally discover that it was flowering when i was back from the Chinese New Year break.
    next to hope for is for my Pleiospilos to bloom...hahahaa....always asking for more
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    stateless's Avatar
    stateless is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    great looking plant and blooms, love cactus

  3. #3
    Chris1140's Avatar
    Chris1140 is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    702
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I believe that is the Peyote cactus, hallucinogenic when chewed, used by native Americans and hippies.

  4. #4
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1140 View Post
    I believe that is the Peyote cactus, hallucinogenic when chewed, used by native Americans and hippies.
    yeap, that is the Hispanic name. other common names that i also like are the devil's root or the diabolic root. =D
    this is one of the lopophora species, the williamsonii. hope i can get one or two more different types

  5. #5
    pavel's Avatar
    pavel is offline change is the only constant
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,643
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Cute lil devil.

  6. #6
    Chris1140's Avatar
    Chris1140 is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    702
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
    yeap, that is the Hispanic name. other common names that i also like are the devil's root or the diabolic root. =D
    this is one of the lopophora species, the williamsonii. hope i can get one or two more different types
    Possession of this species is illegal in the U.S.--unless you are a member of the Native American Church and are an ethnic Native American. It grows wild in the Rio Grande valley in southern Texas and northern Mexico.
    Last edited by Chris1140; February 13th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

  7. #7
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1140 View Post
    Possession of this species is illegal in the U.S.--unless you are a member of the Native American Church and are an ethnic Native American. It grows wild in the Rio Grande valley in southern Texas and northern Mexico.
    Yikes and thanks for the info. is this succulent really that potent?? just an coincidence i was watching a movie yesterday and the captain was telling one of his soldiers " No peyotes". hahahaha.....

  8. #8
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,775
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Cool flowers and very weird cactus look like pumpkin.

  9. #9
    Chris1140's Avatar
    Chris1140 is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    702
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
    Yikes and thanks for the info. is this succulent really that potent?? just an coincidence i was watching a movie yesterday and the captain was telling one of his soldiers " No peyotes". hahahaha.....
    I don't know from personal experience, but yes, it's pretty potent. The tops are cut off even with the ground and dried (the plant will grow more) and several are chewed resulting in a "trip" that will last half a day or more. People claim to have intense spiritual insights, etc. The active ingredient is mescaline, and as I said it is illegal in the U.S.

  10. #10
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1140 View Post
    I don't know from personal experience, but yes, it's pretty potent. The tops are cut off even with the ground and dried (the plant will grow more) and several are chewed resulting in a "trip" that will last half a day or more. People claim to have intense spiritual insights, etc. The active ingredient is mescaline, and as I said it is illegal in the U.S.
    interesting.......whiel i was 'google-ing' for mescaline, i found out that the member of the echinopsis cactus, especially the perviana and pachanoi species. AND so happens i got an Echinopsis that look almost alike the two here growing in my balcony. hahaha....seems like i had been growing 'grass' all the while without knowing,,,,,,hahahaha.
    thx for the info...always excited to learn more about botanical knowledge (not only those psychotropic related =D )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bulbophyllum williamsii
    By ntgerald in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.