Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree8Likes

Using Spring Water

This is a discussion on Using Spring Water within the General Orchid Culture forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; Has anyone used spring water on their orchids? I was wondering what it would be ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    nicki is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    803
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Using Spring Water

    Has anyone used spring water on their orchids? I was wondering what it would be comparable to, rain water, well, tap... And if fertilizing would be any different. We have a couple local roadside springs.

  2. #2
    gabi_borza's Avatar
    gabi_borza is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Borza Gabriel Mircea
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catts, phals and paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    336
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    It really depends on what minerals water gathers untill it comes out of the ground. The quantity of minerals is different from one spring to another. It is no way you can tell if it is good for your orchids untill the water is tested. I have here a spring wich contains water so rich in minerals (mostly calcium ) that the soap doesn't foam at all!

  3. #3
    Halloamey's Avatar
    Halloamey is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    5,363
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    In general you can compare spring water to well or borewell water. Both categories are waters that have seeped through the earth collecting minerals on its way and then resurfaced due to pressure changes or the topography. But as Gabi pointed out you cannot be certain of the dissolved salts unless it is tested. I have personally seen vast differences between the well waters just a couple of hundred feet away. Using it before testing is not very safe.

  4. #4
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Our well water, originally tapped for the lawn, is what I am currently using on my orchids. It stinks, and when I fill a bucket with it there is yucky stuff floating in there. It smells like rotten eggs pretty much...when the lawn sprinklers go off my yard smells like it until the grass dries off. I started by only watering a couple orchids with it and when they didn't dry up and die I used it on a few more. Eventually I discovered it works okay and between it and my sunny new location, my orchids are growing nicely. Just be careful at first. Some orchids are very sensitive to fertilizers and metals in well water.

  5. #5
    jai_star's Avatar
    jai_star is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium , Phalaneopsis
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    342
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    How about water from dehumidifier for your orchids?
    Posted via Mobile Device

  6. #6
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    Our well water, originally tapped for the lawn, is what I am currently using on my orchids. It stinks, and when I fill a bucket with it there is yucky stuff floating in there. It smells like rotten eggs pretty much...when the lawn sprinklers go off my yard smells like it until the grass dries off. I started by only watering a couple orchids with it and when they didn't dry up and die I used it on a few more. Eventually I discovered it works okay and between it and my sunny new location, my orchids are growing nicely. Just be careful at first. Some orchids are very sensitive to fertilizers and metals in well water.
    That doesnt sound very healthy....lol thats what our tap water smells like when the council flushes the city's pipes!

    I have used dehumidifier water before, i even bottle it in 2.25L coke bottles to use later. Its pretty free of anything here in NZ at least....

  7. #7
    panam's Avatar
    panam is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Patty
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    What isn't?!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Yuma, AZ: The little corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet.
    Posts
    3,094
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    Our well water, originally tapped for the lawn, is what I am currently using on my orchids. It stinks, and when I fill a bucket with it there is yucky stuff floating in there. It smells like rotten eggs pretty much...when the lawn sprinklers go off my yard smells like it until the grass dries off. I started by only watering a couple orchids with it and when they didn't dry up and die I used it on a few more. Eventually I discovered it works okay and between it and my sunny new location, my orchids are growing nicely. Just be careful at first. Some orchids are very sensitive to fertilizers and metals in well water.
    I think that goes with the "benign neglect" philosophy. If we let our orchids know they're strong and healthy enought to last without constant primping, they sometimes accept that and respond accordingly! I used to only water mine with RO or distilled water, but have tapered into giving our yucky old tap water (hard Colorado River stuff that's destined to go to Mexico if I don't use it) and guess what - they don't mind at all!

  8. #8
    nicki is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    803
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I can try and find out the content of the spring water, I do believe it is tested on a regular basis. I generally use rain water. And tap when I don't have rain water. If I remember I set the tap out overnight to get rid of chlorine. I've even collected snow in the winter to use. I still consider myself new to orchids in that I'm still getting the hang of it and have a somewhat small collection. I'm sure as it grows I'll be less fussy and they will eventually all get tap

  9. #9
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicki View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I can try and find out the content of the spring water, I do believe it is tested on a regular basis. I generally use rain water. And tap when I don't have rain water. If I remember I set the tap out overnight to get rid of chlorine. I've even collected snow in the winter to use. I still consider myself new to orchids in that I'm still getting the hang of it and have a somewhat small collection. I'm sure as it grows I'll be less fussy and they will eventually all get tap
    I used to collect rainwater...carefully measured out the exact fertilizer...and the orchid pouted. Then, back this past fall I had a spell where I rarely watered, never used a drop of fertilizer and generally didn't do much other than look at them once in awhile. I got buds and spikes....so I decided unless it's a vanda it gets neglected. It's sort of insulting that they'd really rather you just left them alone...sort of like teenagers. But I got used to it...leaves you more time for looking at orchids to buy. lol

  10. #10
    panam's Avatar
    panam is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Patty
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    What isn't?!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Yuma, AZ: The little corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet.
    Posts
    3,094
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    I used to collect rainwater...carefully measured out the exact fertilizer...and the orchid pouted. Then, back this past fall I had a spell where I rarely watered, never used a drop of fertilizer and generally didn't do much other than look at them once in awhile. I got buds and spikes....so I decided unless it's a vanda it gets neglected. It's sort of insulting that they'd really rather you just left them alone...sort of like teenagers. But I got used to it...leaves you more time for looking at orchids to buy. lol
    See - they just don't want for you to become co-dependent. They're looking out for your psychological health. Such lovely little things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rain Water / Dehumidifier Water
    By dougroc in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM
  2. RO water, Rain water, Tap water
    By drew33998 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
  3. Spring....
    By Bikerdoc5968 in forum The Jungle
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM
  4. Spring!
    By Gin in forum Eye Candy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
  5. distilled water vs. RO water
    By Cinderella in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 11th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.