Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
Like Tree22Likes

Freaking out about my New Cattleya!!!! help!

This is a discussion on Freaking out about my New Cattleya!!!! help! within the General Orchid Culture forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; Well you now have a plethora of advice to pick from. I use cinnamon on ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Dazed's Avatar
    Dazed is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Barbados, West Indies
    Posts
    737
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Well you now have a plethora of advice to pick from. I use cinnamon on cuts only, I take a little on a q-tip and dab it on the injury only, as said before it will harm healthy tissue. The peroxide I pour it on the cut and let it sit until it stops bubbling, then repeat that until it doesn't bubble any more. I'm antsy with the bleach water as bleach and I haven't reached a workable understanding on a whole, we're still in negotiations. You just have to pick what you want to try and trial and error your way out of any orchid anxiety you still have.

  2. #12
    orchidbaby's Avatar
    orchidbaby is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of my own :)
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    335

    Post

    Thanks I guess it is all about Trial and error for beginning orchid lovers like me

  3. #13
    orchidbaby's Avatar
    orchidbaby is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of my own :)
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrchidAddict View Post
    Great advice from everyone here. If you are looking for a simple and easy way to disinfect your plant before you repot it, I highly recommend giving it a bleach bath. It scared the heck out of me the first time I did it, because really, it sounds ridiculous to stick a plant in bleach...but it kills everything...mold, bacteria, fungus...and leaves the plant unharmed. I use 9 parts water to 1 part bleach. I just get a bucket and use a 3/4 cup kitchen measuring cup. I fill it 9 times with lukewarm water and once with bleach. Then I dunk the roots and leaves in and use the measuring cup to pour the mixture over all the parts of the plant (except the flowers, if there are any on the plant.) Since yours doesn't have flowers right now, you can just soak the whole thing.

    Anyway, soak for 5 minutes or so, then rinse off well with lukewarm water. You will have a clean, disinfected plant that will be no worse for wear because of the bleach. I also like to use SuperThrive whenever a plant is in trouble like this. So if you decide to repot it right away, I would mix some SuperThrive in when you water to help nourish the plant while it regrows.

    Good luck! I hope it bounces back for you! And don't worry...we've all been through things like this. Keep us posted!
    Maybe I'll try the bleach.....where do you get SuperThrive? PM please!

  4. #14
    Dazed's Avatar
    Dazed is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Barbados, West Indies
    Posts
    737
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orchidbaby View Post
    Thanks I guess it is all about Trial and error for beginning orchid lovers like me
    Trust me, I've only been into orchids just under a year but I joined OT a few months into it and I learned ALOT since then. There are no dumb questions. There is always someone who knows the answer here. If it is happening to you then it has more than likely happened to one or more of us and there is a thread on it somewhere on here. Keep us posted on you catts' progress.

    BTW I also learned on OT that hydrogen peroxide is just oxygen and water, so if you pour it all over the root and plant it will clean it but make sure it dries out of the crown.

  5. #15
    OrchidAddict's Avatar
    OrchidAddict is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orchidbaby View Post
    Maybe I'll try the bleach...........where do you get SuperThrive? PM Please!
    I couldn't find it at any of my local garden stores, so I bought it online. Just do an online search for it, and it will pop up. It comes in various sizes...the smallest is under ten dollars I think, so it won't break your budget, and I've had good results with it. It seems to be more of a product that people "in the know" use, rather than the general public, which is why I think I couldn't find it at the mass-market garden stores...they looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they had it. LOL!

    But the good news is that you can use it for ALL of your orchids...it's not a fertilizer...it's a vitamin and nutrient supplement so that plants don't have to spend their energy manufacturing their own nutrients and can focus on growing and blooming and recovering, etc. I use it regularly in addition to my fertilization routine.

    And don't worry...if you have to order it online, your Catt will be fine for the few days you have to wait for it to arrive. There's so much great advice in this thread, you've got a lot of options!

    When I get into a situation like this (which I actually just did yesterday...I bought an orchid at a clearance warehouse...it was blooming beautifully, but as soon as I got it home and took the plastic bag off it, the orchid just toppled over. Most of the roots were completely worthless and only went about half an inch into the media)... but anyway, when this happens to me, I always start with the simplest and easiest option.

    So here's what I do with a plant that's falling to pieces from the roots up:

    First, give it a bleach bath. Rinse it off, then gently repot both of the chunks into one clay pot that's just slightly bigger than the plant so it has some room to grow roots, but not too much room. When you repot, pot the plant a bit "high," so that some of the healthy roots are actually sitting at the top of the media, or even just above the media. Mist those roots daily until they turn green so you know the plant is getting water while the rest of the roots are recovering inside the media. This allows you to water your orchid without soaking the whole root system each time, which can encourage more root rot.

    When you do water your plant thoroughly, use the SuperThrive. Give the orchid a good watering first to allow the roots to expand and soften so they can absorb the nutrients, then about ten minutes later, use a watering can to pour a the SuperThrive mixture through the media. I don't think you can really "overdo" it with the SuperThrive like you can with fertilizer...so you can use it with confidence on a weak plant...just make sure you don't water thoroughly too frequently...those roots need to recover.

    These simple steps have always worked well for me when I've had a plant in trouble (which happens fairly often because I regularly buy orchids from a clearance warehouse--because they're only $6 and I can support my orchid habit without going broke--and most of them have been neglected for a long time and need rescuing and rehabilitation). So root rot is something I encounter frequently. I always take those plants out of the pots as soon as I get them home to assess the damage. The bleach trick and procedures I mentioned above have been really effective for me!

    Good luck! You're doing great, and you've got a fabulous team here to walk you through this plant's rehabilitation!

  6. #16
    King Kjeldz is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Kjeldsen Affoon
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Trichocentrums,Local Species
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    698
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Physan is used as welll,,,,do not pour it....mix with water and immerse it.....listen to Dazed dats sound advice...... i wud like to see pics of how to mount those catts pretty please Dazed......

  7. #17
    King Kjeldz is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Kjeldsen Affoon
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Trichocentrums,Local Species
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    698
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    i cannot cannot will not use bleach....its chlorine right???? and isnt it true u shud let water de-chlorinate ur water by leaving it standing over night( if ur not using RO or well water) because orchids hate chlorine???????

  8. #18
    Dazed's Avatar
    Dazed is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The ones that are alive
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Barbados, West Indies
    Posts
    737
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Sure King Kjeldz, I'll post em as soon as I can get some pics. Thanks for the compliment on the advice but I'm just repeating what I learned here.

  9. #19
    orchidbaby's Avatar
    orchidbaby is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of my own :)
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    335

    Default

    I bought Greenworks bleach today, chlorine free...98% organic....soaked my roots for 5 minutes, then used clean water and rinsed off....I am leaving my plant unpotted over night to dry out.....or is this not a good idea?? I have nothing to "tie" the psuedopods together, well I gently used a bread tie! lol thats all i have....the plant seems to be supportive in the ceramic pot i put it in, isnt wobbling about (the pot is smaller in size as it goes towards the bottom) But I will return it to the clay pot with my mix tomorrow morning. Im just using trial and error here!

  10. #20
    orchidbaby's Avatar
    orchidbaby is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of my own :)
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrchidAddict View Post
    I couldn't find it at any of my local garden stores, so I bought it online. Just do an online search for it, and it will pop up. It comes in various sizes...the smallest is under ten dollars I think, so it won't break your budget, and I've had good results with it. It seems to be more of a product that people "in the know" use, rather than the general public, which is why I think I couldn't find it at the mass-market garden stores...they looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they had it. LOL!

    But the good news is that you can use it for ALL of your orchids...it's not a fertilizer...it's a vitamin and nutrient supplement so that plants don't have to spend their energy manufacturing their own nutrients and can focus on growing and blooming and recovering, etc. I use it regularly in addition to my fertilization routine.

    And don't worry...if you have to order it online, your Catt will be fine for the few days you have to wait for it to arrive. There's so much great advice in this thread, you've got a lot of options!

    When I get into a situation like this (which I actually just did yesterday...I bought an orchid at a clearance warehouse...it was blooming beautifully, but as soon as I got it home and took the plastic bag off it, the orchid just toppled over. Most of the roots were completely worthless and only went about half an inch into the media)... but anyway, when this happens to me, I always start with the simplest and easiest option.

    So here's what I do with a plant that's falling to pieces from the roots up:

    First, give it a bleach bath. Rinse it off, then gently repot both of the chunks into one clay pot that's just slightly bigger than the plant so it has some room to grow roots, but not too much room. When you repot, pot the plant a bit "high," so that some of the healthy roots are actually sitting at the top of the media, or even just above the media. Mist those roots daily until they turn green so you know the plant is getting water while the rest of the roots are recovering inside the media. This allows you to water your orchid without soaking the whole root system each time, which can encourage more root rot.

    When you do water your plant thoroughly, use the SuperThrive. Give the orchid a good watering first to allow the roots to expand and soften so they can absorb the nutrients, then about ten minutes later, use a watering can to pour a the SuperThrive mixture through the media. I don't think you can really "overdo" it with the SuperThrive like you can with fertilizer...so you can use it with confidence on a weak plant...just make sure you don't water thoroughly too frequently...those roots need to recover.

    These simple steps have always worked well for me when I've had a plant in trouble (which happens fairly often because I regularly buy orchids from a clearance warehouse--because they're only $6 and I can support my orchid habit without going broke--and most of them have been neglected for a long time and need rescuing and rehabilitation). So root rot is something I encounter frequently. I always take those plants out of the pots as soon as I get them home to assess the damage. The bleach trick and procedures I mentioned above have been really effective for me!

    Good luck! You're doing great, and you've got a fabulous team here to walk you through this plant's rehabilitation!
    I checked online....and a little 4oz of the superthrive is 11 bucks! thats a lot for a little bit....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cattleya Hardyana (Cattleya warscewiczii s\a 'FMB' x Cattleya dowiana)
    By Nataliwind in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 5th, 2017, 12:18 AM
  2. Cattleya mossiae, Cattleya lawrenceana, Cattleya dowiana, Cattleya gaskelliana,
    By Nataliwind in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
  3. Cattleya Miss Harris (Cattleya mossiae x Cattleya schilleriana)
    By Halloamey in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM
  5. Cattleya Amelia (Cattleya intermedia x Cattleya cinnabarina)
    By Halloamey in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.