I realized after my last post about sequestering an orchid with thrips that by isolating it like that and preventing adult thrips from traveling around I had confined them to breeding in a single plant. Sure enough, the last time I watered (on Saturday) the water was thick with larvae thrashing around. Given the deadly effect of rubbing alcohol on adults, as an experiment I sprayed the top of the water with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water and the larvae were killed almost instantly. Because of the great number of larvae, last night I soaked, for 2 minutes, the orchid pot in the same type of mix. All visible (under a loupe) larvae were killed. The orchid was then flushed with warm water to counteract the cooling effect of the rubbing alcohol. I realize this is a stark departure from the norm and even though it killed the thrips only time will tell if the orchid itself was damaged. I am hoping it was not.