Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree10Likes

Is this a sheath and a spike on my Blc. mem. grant eichler 'lennette?'

This is a discussion on Is this a sheath and a spike on my Blc. mem. grant eichler 'lennette?' within the General Orchid Culture forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; I just bought this orchid in December. It looks like it's putting up a spike ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    chloeasha's Avatar
    chloeasha is offline Junior Member
    Real Name
    Julianna
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    18

    Default Is this a sheath and a spike on my Blc. mem. grant eichler 'lennette?'

    I just bought this orchid in December. It looks like it's putting up a spike and then it put out this sheath-looking thing as well (which is empty at the moment). The "sheath" looks like it is turning a tad more yellow-green at the moment. I was surprised by both occurrences. Does it look like I may have 2 blooms? I've never had a blc before, so I'm sort of new to them. I had a NOID catt-alliance orchid for years that I had to give away in a move, and it never put out these sheath things, just bloomed like the "spike" I photographed. Ideas? Thank you!

    Julianna

    Name:  100_3887.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  138.9 KB

    Name:  100_3888.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  154.5 KB

  2. #2
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    The first photo is a photo of an old blooming point. The Sheath in the second photo is where you will get blooms as they develop.

    Cheers,
    BD

  3. #3
    chloeasha's Avatar
    chloeasha is offline Junior Member
    Real Name
    Julianna
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    The first photo is a photo of an old blooming point. The Sheath in the second photo is where you will get blooms as they develop.

    Cheers,
    BD
    Re: the first one-- that's what I thought too, but recently it has started growing. It's gotten 3mm longer and has greened up in the process. So the change was making me wonder.

  4. #4
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I concur with Bruce.

  5. #5
    tucker85's Avatar
    tucker85 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Plantation, Florida
    Posts
    2,446
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I agree with Bruce also but occasionally a cattleya can form buds without a sheath. If you're saying that the area in the center on the first picture is getting longer, it may form some tiny buds. If buds do form, they may or may not mature to blooming size without a sheath around them. Normally buds grow inside the sheath like the one in your second picture.

  6. #6
    chloeasha's Avatar
    chloeasha is offline Junior Member
    Real Name
    Julianna
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker85 View Post
    I agree with Bruce also but occasionally a cattleya can form buds without a sheath. If you're saying that the area in the center on the first picture is getting longer, it may form some tiny buds. If buds do form, they may or may not mature to blooming size without a sheath around them. Normally buds grow inside the sheath like the one in your second picture.
    Well, if I had been patient one more day I would have been able to say they are both definitely buds and sheaths! So The sheath now has a bud that sprung up overnight inside of it (after being vacant for many, many weeks) and is about 1cm long. Overnight as well the other one grew to the point where it is longer than the one in the sheath and has distinct buds forming. Thanks you guys! I just kept looking at them both for several weeks and thinking to myself that they both looked like they were doing something, but as soon as I lost patience and asked, they decided to make the answer clear on my end. I think they have a sense that I went through the trouble to photograph and post about them.

  7. #7
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chloeasha View Post
    Well, if I had been patient one more day I would have been able to say they are both definitely buds and sheaths! So The sheath now has a bud that sprung up overnight inside of it (after being vacant for many, many weeks) and is about 1cm long. Overnight as well the other one grew to the point where it is longer than the one in the sheath and has distinct buds forming. Thanks you guys! I just kept looking at them both for several weeks and thinking to myself that they both looked like they were doing something, but as soon as I lost patience and asked, they decided to make the answer clear on my end. I think they have a sense that I went through the trouble to photograph and post about them.
    Orchids teach us patience.

    cheers,
    BD

  8. #8
    chloeasha's Avatar
    chloeasha is offline Junior Member
    Real Name
    Julianna
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Haha, yes! Out of all the years I have had them, they definitely do that!

    Thanks again, guys!

    Julianna

  9. #9
    tucker85's Avatar
    tucker85 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Plantation, Florida
    Posts
    2,446
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chloeasha View Post
    Well, if I had been patient one more day I would have been able to say they are both definitely buds and sheaths! So The sheath now has a bud that sprung up overnight inside of it (after being vacant for many, many weeks) and is about 1cm long. Overnight as well the other one grew to the point where it is longer than the one in the sheath and has distinct buds forming. Thanks you guys! I just kept looking at them both for several weeks and thinking to myself that they both looked like they were doing something, but as soon as I lost patience and asked, they decided to make the answer clear on my end. I think they have a sense that I went through the trouble to photograph and post about them.
    Congratulations on the buds. I'm afraid you'll still need plenty of patience. That cross has a large flower so the buds can take many weeks to form. By the way, I've found that with cattleyas you don't want to change anything while buds are forming. Don't move the plant or change your culture or anything. Just keep it right where it was when the buds started to form and give it the same care you were before with the possible exception of fertilizer. Don't use a lot of fertilizer while it's in bud. Once the flowers open, you can move it anywhere you want and it won't hurt it. Good luck.

  10. #10
    chloeasha's Avatar
    chloeasha is offline Junior Member
    Real Name
    Julianna
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, catts
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker85 View Post
    Congratulations on the buds. I'm afraid you'll still need plenty of patience. That cross has a large flower so the buds can take many weeks to form. By the way, I've found that with cattleyas you don't want to change anything while buds are forming. Don't move the plant or change your culture or anything. Just keep it right where it was when the buds started to form and give it the same care you were before with the possible exception of fertilizer. Don't use a lot of fertilizer while it's in bud. Once the flowers open, you can move it anywhere you want and it won't hurt it. Good luck.
    Thanks! Yeah, I have had Catt-types before, but they never were ones that made a sheath (or at least mine never did in 4 years) so that was my source of novice with this one! I had no plans to move it. I only have one window. Well, I have two windows, but the other is recessed and facing north. So effectively for these guys, I only have one window.

    It needs to be repotted, but I also have no plans to do that until I figure out if we're moving (possibly April or so). If we move, I have to completely remove the pots and substrate-- so I figured it's not worth it to disturb the little guy just to disturb him again.
    Julianna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Blc. Memoria Grant Eichler 'Lennette'
    By Cjcorner in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
  2. Blc. Mem Grant Eichler 'Lenette'
    By jeffrey6115 in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM
  3. Blc. Mem. Grant Eichler 'Lennette' HCC/AOS
    By jeffrey6115 in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
  4. Phal Equestris v Rosea 'Lennette #4'
    By harveyd in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
  5. change from w/o sheath to w/sheath
    By KC C in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.