The first photo is of the second compot I have yet to attack. It's the same size as the first, so it will give you an idea of the relative size and crowding of the seedlings.
I worked slowly and carefully, but the roots were a woven mass that were slow to untangle. Still, seedlings are very fragile and I didn't want to tug. I flushed with a lot of water and wiggled and bounced and shook the root mass until small pieces worked loose.
By the time I finished, I had 33 seedlings awaiting potting. Umph! The second photo is the graduating class of 9/9/06!
Now I've promised a few to friends. Nine out of the 33 seedlings. So I thought a lot about which ones to choose. My goal is to grow up most of the seedlings and document the differences between siblings from a same cross. Keeping two dozen seedlings for myself from each of two different crosses is insane no room, no room! but that's my goal.
It's very tempting to keep the biggest seedlings with the most impressive roots. But that only insures vigor. It's flower form and color at the end of the day that matter most. And that can come from slow-growing runts. Still, I'd hate to send a slow-growing runt to a friend.
So I decided that the third of the litter that I'd promised to others would come from the good-looking medium sized seedlings. There all I've potted, as I write this, so I'm back into the kitchen for round 17...to pot my seedlings!
The final picture contrasts the size difference within the same compot. Quite impressive!