Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

This is what I have to work with

This is a discussion on This is what I have to work with within the General Orchid Culture forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; I took a photo of the area I can make into a *grow room*. Any/ ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default This is what I have to work with

    I took a photo of the area I can make into a *grow room*. Any/ all suggestions welcome. Yes, this is a basement.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Heather is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    OT - is this also your kitchen? Or like, a second finished kitchen? Just curious. I was surprised to see your appliances in the basement. You know if you got to a point where you wanted more serious (HPS) lighting, not having it in a living space would be better. So, I was curious!

  3. #3
    sgratrix's Avatar
    sgratrix is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    83

    Default

    It looks nice and bright.
    Suggestions:
    Move the phone
    Line the wall with shelves and lights
    Happy Happy Day

  4. #4
    Paphraguy is offline Former User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Get yourself a HPS system and you can then just about grow and bloom anything you want!

  5. #5
    Forrest is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    404

    Default

    that area is massive compared to mine! There is a ton of things you can do there. Of course there is the 4 ft cart with flourescents. That option is nice cause you could wheel it over to the sink come watering time. Or as Peter suggested go with a HPS light or two and turn that whole room into a jungle! Lots of potential there!

  6. #6
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paphraguy
    Get yourself a HPS system and you can then just about grow and bloom anything you want!
    Tell me more please, I have an allowance to work with. I thing the cheap part will be building the structure.

  7. #7
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    OT - is this also your kitchen? Or like, a second finished kitchen? Just curious. I was surprised to see your appliances in the basement. You know if you got to a point where you wanted more serious (HPS) lighting, not having it in a living space would be better. So, I was curious!
    The only reason it is a 'living space' is because that is how it was when Kevin bought it. The sink and mircowave works, the dishwarsher does not. That is the unused living quarters, Sad isn't it? Kevin wants the best lighting system (he doesn't believe in cheap when he knows it is more than a passing phase) so if Peter lets me in on some info, that is probably what I'll end up with.

  8. #8
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest
    that area is massive compared to mine! There is a ton of things you can do there. Of course there is the 4 ft cart with flourescents. That option is nice cause you could wheel it over to the sink come watering time. Or as Peter suggested go with a HPS light or two and turn that whole room into a jungle! Lots of potential there!
    I have about 8 feet wide X 4 feet deep to really get alot of use out of. I totally cleaned it out today. Before there were boxes filled with baby cribs and other garage sale stuff. It does look pretty huge now.

  9. #9
    Forrest is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    404

    Default

    whats your budget? If we have a better idea what kind of money you are going to spend we can point you in the "right" direction.

  10. #10
    Heather is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrchidTraci
    The only reason it is a 'living space' is because that is how it was when Kevin bought it. The sink and mircowave works, the dishwarsher does not. That is the unused living quarters, Sad isn't it? Kevin wants the best lighting system (he doesn't believe in cheap when he knows it is more than a passing phase) so if Peter lets me in on some info, that is probably what I'll end up with.
    Oh cool! I can live vicariously through you and watch and learn and be ready to go on my own next!

    Here's a useful link...also do an HPS search here and you'll turn up all of Pete's old posts - (I happened to do that today...got a bit sidetracked and lost my eye on the prize earlier, but am back on track! Lol!) Anyway here is some HPS pricing info...Bon appetit!

    430W HPS System...and others...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will this lighting work for my orchids??
    By jap42 in forum Semi Hydro / Lights / Greenhouses / Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
  2. Whistle while you work
    By IdahoOrchid in forum The Outback Terrace Bar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM
  3. So I went back before work
    By JUDIUK in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
  4. Stuff from work...
    By sake of silence in forum **NOT IN BLOOM** All Genera
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.