Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

First Cymbidium

This is a discussion on First Cymbidium within the Genus Specific forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; Hello everyone! I'm SO excited!! I finally found a different type of Orchid beside a ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Real Name
    Rachelle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    56
    Member's Country Flag

    Wink First Cymbidium

    Hello everyone! I'm SO excited!! I finally found a different type of Orchid beside a Phalaenopsis!! I found a Cymbidium!! It is SO big and beautiful!

    As much as I love this beautiful new addition, I have no Idea how to properly care for it and was hoping that someone could help me understand how to keep it happy and healthy.

    The tag that came with it says:
    Light: Medium light
    Water: keep evenly moist
    Fertilizer: Feed monthly
    Temperature: Average room temperature

    When I purchased it the other day I made sure that it looked healthy and the medium was moist. I did notice that it was in soil and not bark and was a little concerned with that since my Phalaenopsis are all in bark . I also don't know weather this orchid should be in filtered, full, or shaded sunlight. All in all I am very unsure how to care for my new Orchid and I am hoping someone out there can shed some light on this situation.

    P.S I have looked at a few different websites that explain how to care for Cymbidiums and all of those sites say that they should be cared for differently, and I'm left confused!

    All I do know is that they are "cold weather" Orchids and I live in Ontario, Canada. the room I have it in right now ranges from about 15-23 degrees celcius

    Rachelle
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Rachelle-Lapensee; February 6th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.

  2. #2
    cakedaddy's Avatar
    cakedaddy is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    I am fairly new to cymbidiums, but I think that they appreciate temps even a bit cooler than that, at least at night. I do know that in cold weather, they will take and love full sun. In warmer weather, a bit shadier. Lots of water and ferts in the growth season (warm). Only enough water to prevent drying out in winter. Glad you found something you love!

  3. #3
    Real Name
    Rachelle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    56
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakedaddy View Post
    I think that they appreciate temps even a bit cooler than that, at least at night.
    These Temperatures are during the day, It gets to a high of about 23 in the day when the sun is coming through the window, but at night it dips to 15 or lower... In the summer I plan on having it outside, but I don't know If it will be OK in summer weather, our hottest days can be about 30 degrees Celsius but besides that they stay in the 20's for most of the summer. Is that to hot for my plant or should I try to keep it on the north side of the house were it will not get the hot midday sun and will probably stay on the cooler side? What temperature are your Cymbidiums growing in right now???

  4. #4
    espranch is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    N. East Texas
    Posts
    2,747
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    That is really beautiful, Rachelle! Just a suggestion...I'd get rid of the foil paper that is around the pot, so that the plant can get some air, and properly drain. I'm pleased that you can grow these cold weather beauties up there... Congratulations! Betty :-)

  5. #5
    Real Name
    Rachelle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    56
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espranch View Post
    That is really beautiful, Rachelle! Just a suggestion...I'd get rid of the foil paper that is around the pot, so that the plant can get some air, and properly drain. I'm pleased that you can grow these cold weather beauties up there... Congratulations! Betty :-)
    Thank-you Betty! I'm glad that I have found an Orchid that likes my climate!

  6. #6
    cakedaddy's Avatar
    cakedaddy is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelle-Lapensee View Post
    These Temperatures are during the day, It gets to a high of about 23 in the day when the sun is coming through the window, but at night it dips to 15 or lower... In the summer I plan on having it outside, but I don't know If it will be OK in summer weather, our hottest days can be about 30 degrees Celsius but besides that they stay in the 20's for most of the summer. Is that to hot for my plant or should I try to keep it on the north side of the house were it will not get the hot midday sun and will probably stay on the cooler side? What temperature are your Cymbidiums growing in right now???
    I only have one very large cymbidium...yours is very pretty btw. I haven't brought it inside since I got it. It stays on my front porch and gets full sun for a good bit of the day. Temps are typically around 40F nights and 60-70F days. It does have a bit of a roof over its head, so I left it out when temps dipped below freezing over a few nights. It's fine for them as long as they are dry and close to a relatively warm wall. In summer, I plan to move it onto my back deck...the deck faces northeast and against the wall, there is shade. I will get full sun on most of the deck for a good part of the day, but I put up shadecloth.

  7. #7
    Real Name
    Rachelle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    56
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakedaddy View Post
    I only have one very large cymbidium...yours is very pretty btw. I haven't brought it inside since I got it. It stays on my front porch and gets full sun for a good bit of the day. Temps are typically around 40F nights and 60-70F days. It does have a bit of a roof over its head, so I left it out when temps dipped below freezing over a few nights. It's fine for them as long as they are dry and close to a relatively warm wall. In summer, I plan to move it onto my back deck...the deck faces northeast and against the wall, there is shade. I will get full sun on most of the deck for a good part of the day, but I put up shadecloth.
    Thank-you for helping me out with this! Inside the house It dose not get to 4C at night I may be able to open a window at night if I really need to. I do have the daytime temps. I have only one more question that I would like to ask you... what would the daytime and nighttime temperatures be in the summer for you were you are??

  8. #8
    cakedaddy's Avatar
    cakedaddy is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Just checked averages for my area...Daytime average in midsummer is 82F. Nighttime low is 53F.

  9. #9
    Real Name
    Rachelle
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    56
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakedaddy View Post
    Just checked averages for my area...Daytime average in midsummer is 82F. Nighttime low is 53F.
    Thank-you so much For your help with this! That is roughly what are summers are like here as well... I think I just might have the perfect conditions for this species of Orchid!!!

    This is my areas Monthly average:
    Month________Max ~ Min_______
    January-------[]-5C ~ -15C]
    February------[-4C ~ -13C ]
    March---------[2C ~ -16C ]
    April----------[11C ~ 0C ]
    May-----------[19C ~ 7C ]
    June----------[24C ~ 12C ]
    July-----------[26C ~ 15C ]
    August-------[25C ~ 14C ]
    September---[20C ~ 9C ]
    October------[13C ~ 3C ]
    November----[5C ~ -2C ]
    December----[-3C ~ -11C]

    The only thing is we get a high humid-ex that can make it feel allot hotter!

  10. #10
    cindiras's Avatar
    cindiras is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,766
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    the cymbidium will love the high humidity. Looks like you can set it out in a shaded, protected spot in late spring, move it into a sunnier location for the summer (maybe shade at high noon) and into autumn. Place in a protected area in early autumn and bring inside just before heavy frosts are expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cymbidium lancifolium and Cymbidium dayanum
    By PhilsDC in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM
  2. Cymbidium Golden Elf - warm tolerant cymbidium
    By catttan in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM
  3. cymbidium help
    By luckygirl in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
  4. Cymbidium quibeiense or Cymbidium kanran ???
    By cxcanh in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
  5. My First Ever Cymbidium
    By Mehera in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.