Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 829
Like Tree924Likes

Wild orchids

This is a discussion on Wild orchids within the The Jungle forums, part of the Land Plants category; nice pictures. Peter...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #551
    harvey's Avatar
    harvey is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Peter
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    316
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    nice pictures.
    Peter

  2. #552
    Clivedude is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Clive
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All Orchids
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Intersexed
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    548
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Very beautiful photos...and thanks for showing them to us..Its nice to see them in the wild in their natual state...Awesome

  3. #553
    nen's Avatar
    nen
    nen is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Nenella
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    France, Atlantic coast
    Posts
    182
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Super as usual! I really enjoy seeing your photos of your forest trips! Thanks again!

  4. #554
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,585
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    nice pictures.
    Peter
    Thanks Peter.

  5. #555
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,585
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clivedude View Post
    Very beautiful photos...and thanks for showing them to us..Its nice to see them in the wild in their natual state...Awesome
    Hi Clive thank you very much.

  6. #556
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,585
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nen View Post
    Super as usual! I really enjoy seeing your photos of your forest trips! Thanks again!
    Thanks Nenella maybe one day you can come to Malaysia to enjoy yourself the beauty of our natural forest so interesting.

  7. #557
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,585
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Cont 182

    P1 another view of the sea
    P2 I took this opportunity my photo with the sea background my last day in Miri and end of my session there. See you again in the jungle of West Malaysia soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #558
    Rence is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Metro Manila,Philippines
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jef09071984 View Post
    Hi Zainal,


    Yes we have same climate but in some other areas here in the Phil. in highlands....
    we live in the city, wich is kinda polluted and hot which makes me taking more care for my orchids at our garden....
    Hi Jef09071984 , If you lived in Novaliches areas. According to some old -time residents of the area, 60 or more years ago. They can still see wild orchids like Dendrobium crumenatum , Dendrobium anosmum, Vanilla colapogon , Pholidota species, Nervilla , Habenaria, Cymbidium finlaysonianum and common lowland orchids before roads , subdivisions and trees were cleared which paved way to the rapid development of the area now divided into 2 cities Caloocan and Quezon City.

    I also read a book about Philippine orchids published about 50 years-ago . The author described having gathered some orchids species in present day La Mesa watershed area or Novaliches area ( maybe near the border of San Jose Del Monte , Bulacan province ) . Mona Lisa Steiner ( RIP) . If you have access to the watershed area, you can still see about a dozen or so wild orchids still in its natural habitat, Although much reduced than what the author had experienced 50 or 60 years ago. I still have her book and although a lot of genus names was changed , you can still chronicle what happened to Novaliches areas - just barely 20 kilometers away from Manila had happened in the last 50 or so years. Kindly PM me if you want to borrow my book .

    That is why there is a group of advocates which wanted to replant native Philippine trees around the La Mesa watershed area so that the native orchid species can reclaim their former range .

    I am very impress with the number of native orchid species and thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I have the chance to explore secondary areas , cleared areas and coconut plantations with a lot of orchids ferns, hoyas in the Philippines ( mostly Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Bulacan , Aurora , Subic areas.

  9. #559
    Real Name
    Deepak
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mysore, KA, India
    Posts
    361
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    This is nice place .. Hope there are plenty of wild bettas and cryptocoryne there.. Thanks for sharing..

  10. #560
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,585
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rence View Post
    Hi Jef09071984 , If you lived in Novaliches areas. According to some old -time residents of the area, 60 or more years ago. They can still see wild orchids like Dendrobium crumenatum , Dendrobium anosmum, Vanilla colapogon , Pholidota species, Nervilla , Habenaria, Cymbidium finlaysonianum and common lowland orchids before roads , subdivisions and trees were cleared which paved way to the rapid development of the area now divided into 2 cities Caloocan and Quezon City.

    I also read a book about Philippine orchids published about 50 years-ago . The author described having gathered some orchids species in present day La Mesa watershed area or Novaliches area ( maybe near the border of San Jose Del Monte , Bulacan province ) . Mona Lisa Steiner ( RIP) . If you have access to the watershed area, you can still see about a dozen or so wild orchids still in its natural habitat, Although much reduced than what the author had experienced 50 or 60 years ago. I still have her book and although a lot of genus names was changed , you can still chronicle what happened to Novaliches areas - just barely 20 kilometers away from Manila had happened in the last 50 or so years. Kindly PM me if you want to borrow my book .

    That is why there is a group of advocates which wanted to replant native Philippine trees around the La Mesa watershed area so that the native orchid species can reclaim their former range .

    I am very impress with the number of native orchid species and thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I have the chance to explore secondary areas , cleared areas and coconut plantations with a lot of orchids ferns, hoyas in the Philippines ( mostly Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Bulacan , Aurora , Subic areas.
    You are welcome Rence.Thanks for those info actually very valuable for future generations.

Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wild orchids of Sweden
    By Thomas in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: September 28th, 2016, 10:22 AM
  2. Do we need to fertilize wild orchids
    By raindeepak4u in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
  3. English terrestrial orchids in the wild
    By bedt in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
  4. Slovak Wild Orchids
    By xristie9 in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
  5. orchis orchids in the wild
    By kfir from israel in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.