Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
Like Tree48Likes

Fern Invasion

This is a discussion on Fern Invasion within the The Jungle forums, part of the Land Plants category; Originally Posted by LeeOrchids I once had a morning glory vine sprout in with my ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Pindar's Avatar
    Pindar is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Eltham, London. England
    Posts
    484
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeOrchids View Post
    I once had a morning glory vine sprout in with my C. Leah Liedke x C. claesiana alba and it even began forming buds. I was going to pull out the morning glory vine after it fiished blooming because I thought the two blooming together would make for an interesting photo op. Lo and behold, one day I walk into the greenhouse and the morning glory vine was gone. I couldn't figure it out. Later that day, my husband (who randomly gets "interested" in my orchids) tells me "I pulled a weed out of one of your orchids for you." I was SO pissed!
    Gosh Leslie- that would have been a crazy sight! I am sure your poor hubby meant well... but oh my word! I'd have loved to see the photo of such unlikely neighbours. Thank you for sharing this recollection.

  2. #12
    pavel's Avatar
    pavel is offline change is the only constant
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,643
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeOrchids View Post
    I once had a morning glory vine sprout in with my C. Leah Liedke x C. claesiana alba and it even began forming buds. I was going to pull out the morning glory vine after it fiished blooming because I thought the two blooming together would make for an interesting photo op. Lo and behold, one day I walk into the greenhouse and the morning glory vine was gone. I couldn't figure it out. Later that day, my husband (who randomly gets "interested" in my orchids) tells me "I pulled a weed out of one of your orchids for you." I was SO pissed!
    Well his heart was in the right place, Leslie. Gotta give him credit for 1) recognizing a weed when he saw one (and they ARE weeds! LOL); 2) looking out for the orchid's welfare; and 3) trying to do something to help you out. Up at my folks' place, if I see something interesting and unfamiliar coming up in their flowerbeds while visiting there, I now make it a point to mention it to both of my parents about the plant and request it be left alone until I can figure out what it is. I found from long experience that if I don't my father will most likely either pull the plant up or hit it with the lawnmower or weedwhacker if I don't say something.

  3. #13
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeOrchids View Post
    I once had a morning glory vine sprout in with my C. Leah Liedke x C. claesiana alba and it even began forming buds. I was going to pull out the morning glory vine after it fiished blooming because I thought the two blooming together would make for an interesting photo op. Lo and behold, one day I walk into the greenhouse and the morning glory vine was gone. I couldn't figure it out. Later that day, my husband (who randomly gets "interested" in my orchids) tells me "I pulled a weed out of one of your orchids for you." I was SO pissed!
    i would have to agree with him there...its such a noxious weed! We have a constant battle with the Morning Glory (Convolvulus sp) in our garden behind the pond-it creeps from the sound barrier embankment behind us. The council currently dont have it in their budget to go round weed spraying either, which is one thing this stupid council NEEDS to do lol...the gardens around the city look a disgrace! But yer, morning glory is not even on my 'pull out later' list, let alone the 'let it flower' list lol, if i do that im likely to find several hundred more plants spring up everywhere....

  4. #14
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar View Post
    Hello friends. I often find that ferns appear out of nowhere growing as guests in my orchid pots... uninvited but not unwelcome. Bruce says the same happens at his place. Does anyone else have the same experience? I am interested in how common (or uncommon) this is.

    It further intrigues me that there are ferns whose spores are able to germinate AND their prothalli to develop and fertilise, AND the resulting juvenile sporophytes flourish... all in the harsh environment of the surface of orchid compost. These fern species must be very hardy and adaptable!

    Here are a few examples... as you can see, the colonisation has spread from the orchids to the Dicksonia.

    Attachment 49275Attachment 49276Attachment 49277
    hehe! I bought three native orchids (Dont tell DOC (Dept. of Conservation), otherwise they will be knocking at my front door with a $50,000 fine and a court notice) from a fern nursery about an hour away, and there are little teeny Dicksonias sprouting in the baskets lol! I carefully weeded them out and put them into some Fern fibre-they are doing well so far. Also found plenty of Rabbits Foots and Maidenhairs too, and some Spleenwort ferns in there too....a nice little mixture in a pot smaller than a dinner plate, AND filled with Earina autumnalis! As for the nursery, if you bought one fern, ie a 3m Dicksonia, you can bet your bottom dollar, you would also be taking home 30 other species of ferns....

  5. #15
    Gurj's Avatar
    Gurj is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Gurjeet
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever I can grow/care for.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    380
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I don't see it as a problem at all, maybe there is a mutual benificial relationship between them. I fancy the idea of a fern's rooting system to embrace the orchid's rooting system. There is a lot of chemistry between them I suppose; exchange of foods and minerals. I like the idea totally. But yeah, got to keep it in check.

  6. #16
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
    I don't see it as a problem at all, maybe there is a mutual benificial relationship between them. I fancy the idea of a fern's rooting system to embrace the orchid's rooting system. There is a lot of chemistry between them I suppose; exchange of foods and minerals. I like the idea totally. But yeah, got to keep it in check.
    Its actually not a good thing-and as far as i know, they dont exchange any minerals etc...
    there is a thing called Allelopathy, where a plant will produce one or more biochemicals that influence the growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms. These biochemicals are known as allelochemicals and can have beneficial (positive allelopathy) or detrimental (negative allelopathy) effects on the target organisms. With alot of plants, ferns in particular, when they are young, the allelochemicals have a detrimental effect, and actually stop other plants nearby from growing and/or reproducing. This is (in some peoples opinions) to reduce the competition, and increase the survival rate of said plant, in this case, ferns. However, not all plants use this sort of bio-chemical warfare, only some do, and it is thought to be important in the success of many invasive plants. I weeded most of the ferns out of my native, but the bonus is, the orchid is larger than the single fern that is left....so its allelochemicals can stop the fern from growing rapidly.

  7. #17
    cdayinflorida's Avatar
    cdayinflorida is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Riverview, Florida
    Posts
    5,701
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I would take the ferns over Oxalis corniculata. Those darn seeds pods explode and fire seed all over the shade house in every direction. You will find the seeds everywhere, stuck on plants and pots. I was out there yesterday and found them stuck to the plastic sides.

  8. #18
    Pindar's Avatar
    Pindar is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Eltham, London. England
    Posts
    484
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiorchids View Post
    hehe! I bought three native orchids (Dont tell DOC (Dept. of Conservation), otherwise they will be knocking at my front door with a $50,000 fine and a court notice) from a fern nursery about an hour away, and there are little teeny Dicksonias sprouting in the baskets lol! I carefully weeded them out and put them into some Fern fibre-they are doing well so far. Also found plenty of Rabbits Foots and Maidenhairs too, and some Spleenwort ferns in there too....a nice little mixture in a pot smaller than a dinner plate, AND filled with Earina autumnalis! As for the nursery, if you bought one fern, ie a 3m Dicksonia, you can bet your bottom dollar, you would also be taking home 30 other species of ferns....
    Lucky beggar! Nice assortment there for free- actually it's better than free: it's a cool bonus, like an unexpected gift. My Dicksonia came yrs ago with no hitchikers at all, oddly- they all appeared recently. Whatever!

    As for the Convulvulus- too right! It is pretty but deadly: spreads like fire. It is another usage issue: we poms know it as Bindweed, a word that sends shivers down the spine. Morning Glory for us is the sibling genus Ipomoea- vigorously seeding annual alright, but we are just a bit too frosty and it slowly loses its vim and disappears over a couple of years, so we normally grow it or start it off under glass. Some forms have huge flowers of the dreamiest blue- highly treasured and sighed over! I assumed this was the unexpected guest. I used it to shoot up the trellises when first put up. Here are Dad and Chi in front of some I rubro-coerulea from a cheap pack of seeds. No rocket science but always fun and so rewarding!

    Name:  019.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  185.0 KB

    Name:  073.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  213.5 KB

  9. #19
    Pindar's Avatar
    Pindar is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Eltham, London. England
    Posts
    484
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiorchids View Post
    Its actually not a good thing-and as far as i know, they dont exchange any minerals etc...
    there is a thing called Allelopathy, where a plant will produce one or more biochemicals that influence the growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms. These biochemicals are known as allelochemicals and can have beneficial (positive allelopathy) or detrimental (negative allelopathy) effects on the target organisms. With alot of plants, ferns in particular, when they are young, the allelochemicals have a detrimental effect, and actually stop other plants nearby from growing and/or reproducing. This is (in some peoples opinions) to reduce the competition, and increase the survival rate of said plant, in this case, ferns. However, not all plants use this sort of bio-chemical warfare, only some do, and it is thought to be important in the success of many invasive plants. I weeded most of the ferns out of my native, but the bonus is, the orchid is larger than the single fern that is left....so its allelochemicals can stop the fern from growing rapidly.
    I can vouch for this. Over the border there are whole hillsides exclusively covered in gorgeous Rhododendrons- escaped from gardens and finding the natural environment to their liking. Unsurprisingly. Welcomed at first for the splendour they bring, now there is panic and a struggle by the authorities to try and remove them. It has been realised that Rhododendrons colonise by ousting ALL competition with biochemical aggression in the soil- poisoning other plants and altering, or impoverishing (or destroying) the natural environment.

    On the other hand cooperation exists everywhere too- it turns out that about half the functional vascular tissue in the root system of a temperate broadleaf forest is actually mycorrhizal mycelium! It then follows that the trees are linked together into something like a single organism, not just an ecosystem...

  10. #20
    Pindar's Avatar
    Pindar is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Eltham, London. England
    Posts
    484
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Sorry friends, by "over the border" I meant Scotland. Sometimes the local lingo can slip through by mistake. My bad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mealy bug invasion
    By paphanatic in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
  2. The orchid invasion has arrived
    By Phyrex in forum **NOT IN BLOOM** All Genera
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM
  3. Invasion of the Black Balls
    By Bikerdoc5968 in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
  4. Invasion of the fire ants.
    By Bluefirepegasus in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 16th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.