Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree5Likes

Encyclia (Gay Rabbit)

This is a discussion on Encyclia (Gay Rabbit) within the New Growers: Ask the Senior Members forums, part of the New Growers category; Hello again Most Knowledgeable Ones, From what I can tell from post about Encyclia, they ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Miller's Avatar
    Miller is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    611
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Encyclia (Gay Rabbit)

    Hello again Most Knowledgeable Ones,

    From what I can tell from post about Encyclia, they prefer to be mounted. Do you think it will be a good idea to mount my Gay Rabbit? It has one nice Pbulb and two really small one. I just recently tried my hand at mounting so not a lot of experience. Also, I travel for work so it would be difficult for me to water regularly on a consistent basis.

    Thanks for any input

  2. #2
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    If you are not able to water regularly, I would not mount your orchid. It will dry out pretty quickly when mounted and the p-bulbs will begin to shrivel and the orchid will go downhill. JMHO. Grow it potted.

    cheers,
    BD

  3. #3
    Miller's Avatar
    Miller is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    611
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks for the reply Bruce. When I travel it is normally for about 2.5 days out of the week. That is the most they will go without water unless I am traveling internationally. Would mounted orchids need to be watered more than every 2.5 days. I am not dead set on mounting it, I just want to give it the best chance to thrive.

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bruce. When I travel it is normally for about 2.5 days out of the week. That is the most they will go without water unless I am traveling internationally. Would mounted orchids need to be watered more than every 2.5 days. I am not dead set on mounting it, I just want to give it the best chance to thrive.

    Regards,
    Oh! I thought you meant for a week or more at a time. 2.5 days should be fine depending on the temperature and air movement. You should try mounting it if this is the time schedule. Good luck Miller!

    cheers,
    BD

  5. #5
    tucker85's Avatar
    tucker85 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Plantation, Florida
    Posts
    2,446
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Although many mounted orchids need to be watered daily, that's not the case with many encyclias. I water a mounted cordigera once a week during the winter and twice a week during the spring and summer. I don't have any experience with 'Gay Rabbit' though. Like Bruce said, it may be easier to manage in a pot.

  6. #6
    Miller's Avatar
    Miller is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    611
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks again, I will give mounting a try. It has a flower spike now, most the flowers have begun to fall, I will wait until they all fall then mount. I have a nice piece of cork bark from one of my snake cages that will be nice for it. I will post pics of the mounting once done.

    Regards,

  7. #7
    Miller's Avatar
    Miller is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    611
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thank you for the additional insight. I have not mounted it yet but I did pick up a new den today and a Cattlaya today.

    Regards


    Quote Originally Posted by tucker85 View Post
    Although many mounted orchids need to be watered daily, that's not the case with many encyclias. I water a mounted cordigera once a week during the winter and twice a week during the spring and summer. I don't have any experience with 'Gay Rabbit' though. Like Bruce said, it may be easier to manage in a pot.

  8. #8
    coeruleo's Avatar
    coeruleo is offline Night Bloomer
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    gay rabbit is a hybrid of Encyclia cordigera, so culture might be similar. i recently got a cordigera myself, and LOVE the scent, i hope the gay rabbit smells as nice. it really is my first encyclia, and i do notice the bulbs begin to shrivel pretty quickly. i would hesitate to mount it unless you use a lot of moss/padding or something a little more than just nailing it to cork. maybe use a fern fiber plaque, that you can dip into water before you go out of town, that will give it a little more water than a cork or wood mount i think. i have been experimenting with treefern pots, and after my cordigera is done flowering (might be another month?? i love this plant!) i'm going to put in in a nice big treefern pot with some orchid mix and moss. i find the treefern fibers trap a bit of water without being too waterlogged, and help cut down the demandingness of some orchids.

  9. #9
    Miller's Avatar
    Miller is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Miller
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Onc, Dens, Catt's, Schoms
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    611
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    gay rabbit is a hybrid of Encyclia cordigera, so culture might be similar. i recently got a cordigera myself, and LOVE the scent, i hope the gay rabbit smells as nice. it really is my first encyclia, and i do notice the bulbs begin to shrivel pretty quickly. i would hesitate to mount it unless you use a lot of moss/padding or something a little more than just nailing it to cork. maybe use a fern fiber plaque, that you can dip into water before you go out of town, that will give it a little more water than a cork or wood mount i think. i have been experimenting with treefern pots, and after my cordigera is done flowering (might be another month?? i love this plant!) i'm going to put in in a nice big treefern pot with some orchid mix and moss. i find the treefern fibers trap a bit of water without being too waterlogged, and help cut down the demandingness of some orchids.
    I was looking at the tree fern pots but it seems they only come in small pots. That would be fine for the encyclia, but wish they came in larger sizes. I have not mounted it yet. Typing from my iPhone so apologies for any typing mistakes!
    Posted via Mobile Device

  10. #10
    coeruleo's Avatar
    coeruleo is offline Night Bloomer
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    i put my cordigera in the 8" treefern pot. used some bark mix with pearlite and treefern fiber. it started to look shrivelly, but it is very dry here... so i have tucked sphagnum around the nest of aerial roots. seems to be keeping it from drying out too much, but i still need to spray almost every day. the loose sphagnum seems to hold enough mositure for the roots to have a drink. now as long as i don't get the poor thing rotting, it might be ok. it is rooting into the pot, and i could nto remvoe it now without some damage. but it took a few months to get the roots growing. i did assume i would kill the poor thing, but so far, so good. i have even ordered a hybrid between cordigera and encyclia alata, hoping to keep that one outside all winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Encyclia ???
    By Lizgeo in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 8th, 2016, 04:49 AM
  2. Encyclia Cordigera var purpurea AND Encyclia Auza? (Aromatica x atropurpurea)
    By RedEcho in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
  3. Encyclia with no ID
    By GRMRA-GUA in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
  4. I think the rabbit died!
    By Bikerdoc5968 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
  5. Rabbit Dropping Fertilizer
    By Alplily NH in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.