Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree17Likes

Cattleya: seedling to maturity

This is a discussion on Cattleya: seedling to maturity within the New Growers: Ask the Senior Members forums, part of the New Growers category; Hello all! Would someone be so kind as to explain to me how to determine ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    JackiePS is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt., Phal., Dend
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    124

    Question Cattleya: seedling to maturity

    Hello all!

    Would someone be so kind as to explain to me how to determine when a seedling Cattleya reaches maturity? Is it based on the amount of pb's & their size? How can I tell?

    This has been nagging at me because I purchased some plants that are NBS. I've since discovered that 'near blooming size' can mean as long as 2 years to bloom! For those of you who've been chatting with me and have gotten to know me a bit.... I'M NOT THAT PATIENT! LOL! I'm just really desperate for a blooming catt. I have about 2 dozen of them and none in bloom currently, 2 in sheath, 1 confirmed w/ buds in sheath. I'm hoping these are all autumn bloomers (but I am pretty sure that I'm going to have to wait for winter for many of them). I do know for sure that about 6 of them are NBS so I'd like to be able to have some insight as to what to look for, etc.

    I just really want to learn as much as I can about Cattleyas. As much as they make me crazy, it makes me love them all the more!

    Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, it's greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    ksriramkumar is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bangalore,India
    Posts
    6,796
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Relax Jackie.You have adopted a right hobby. sure you will become more patient with orchids. Coming to your question on maturity, there are many species that range from a small size (C.walkeriana) to large (C.maxima, C.amthestoglossa) and hence it is quite difficult to ascertain by looking at the size. you might want to look at the parentage of the hybrid to cross verify the maturity.

    secondly, flowering and maturity is bit different in my opinion, you could have a mature cattleya but not flowering and a small sized cattleya flowering. this is largely controlled by the cultural and environmental aspects of growing (light, humidity, day length).

    name of the hybrid and posting a picture might help

  3. #3
    Yug's Avatar
    Yug
    Yug is offline Mostly-Species Snob
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    559
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I've seen some large type cattleya's go from seedling to blooming size in about 7 yrs, but I've also seen mini-cats do it in 2 to 3 years. It depends on the type of plant, and your growing conditions. You should see how long some vanda's take.

  4. #4
    JackiePS is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt., Phal., Dend
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksriramkumar View Post
    Relax Jackie.You have adopted a right hobby. sure you will become more patient with orchids. Coming to your question on maturity, there are many species that range from a small size (C.walkeriana) to large (C.maxima, C.amthestoglossa) and hence it is quite difficult to ascertain by looking at the size. you might want to look at the parentage of the hybrid to cross verify the maturity.

    secondly, flowering and maturity is bit different in my opinion, you could have a mature cattleya but not flowering and a small sized cattleya flowering. this is largely controlled by the cultural and environmental aspects of growing (light, humidity, day length).

    name of the hybrid and posting a picture might help
    Thank you ksrir I will post pics of the ones that I'm wondering about.

  5. #5
    chingjervis's Avatar
    chingjervis is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jervis
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph, Ctsm., Crths., Stan.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,708
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Like most members said...relax...patience is a virtue. Dont rush with orchids, they will bloom in their own time...unless you have a weather controlled greenhouse.

    Currently just get to know how to take care of them properly in you area.

    I could just imagine how ecstatic you will be when you see spike and eventually bloom...hahaha

  6. #6
    JackiePS is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt., Phal., Dend
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chingjervis View Post
    Like most members said...relax...patience is a virtue. Dont rush with orchids, they will bloom in their own time...unless you have a weather controlled greenhouse.

    Currently just get to know how to take care of them properly in you area.

    I could just imagine how ecstatic you will be when you see spike and eventually bloom...hahaha
    I have really come to appreciate all new growth on the plants! Of course, the best are buds but I am getting a great deal of satisfaction out of watching them grow. It's such an odd obsession isn't it?

  7. #7
    78Terp's Avatar
    78Terp is offline An Avant Gardner
    Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    6,036
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackiePS View Post
    Of course, the best are buds but I am getting a great deal of satisfaction out of watching them grow. It's such an odd obsession isn't it?
    Are you saying I'm odd? You probably wouldn't be the only one saying that!

    Quite methodical in their growth habits!

  8. #8
    JackiePS is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt., Phal., Dend
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Terp View Post
    Are you saying I'm odd? You probably wouldn't be the only one saying that!

    Quite methodical in their growth habits!
    I LOVE all things (& people) odd! I am an oddball myself!

    Oh, I meant to ask you... do you do seed pods? Svetlana thought you might.... I have 2 phal pods forming and I am very excited about it! I'm not that into phals right now but I feel like I may have created something new so it's pretty cool!

  9. #9
    Carolla's Avatar
    Carolla is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Eastern WA State, USA
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    As for waiting for my orchids to bloom, if it takes too long, I just buy one locally that's in bloom to keep me going... So, I have a lot of orchids, but usually something in bloom to keep me happy until something else comes in!

  10. #10
    JackiePS is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt., Phal., Dend
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    As for waiting for my orchids to bloom, if it takes too long, I just buy one locally that's in bloom to keep me going... So, I have a lot of orchids, but usually something in bloom to keep me happy until something else comes in!
    Yep, this is one of the reasons why I cannot seem to stop buying plants!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Psygmorchis pusilla seed pod maturity time!!!
    By King Kjeldz in forum Breeding & Hybridization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 26th, 2014, 08:19 PM
  2. Seedling cattleya care?
    By Orchids&Unicorns in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 10th, 2012, 12:41 AM
  3. cattleya seedling
    By drew33998 in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
  4. Repoting Cattleya seedling
    By Bdelfiero in forum Cattleya Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
  5. New Cattleya seedling
    By Roy in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 5th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.