Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree3Likes

Has my phal got mold issues?

This is a discussion on Has my phal got mold issues? within the Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; Hi I recently bought a phal from the roadside and it looked really healthy. The ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Susie11's Avatar
    Susie11 is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipediums, paphiopedilums
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    London U.K
    Posts
    679
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Has my phal got mold issues?

    Name:  The culprit.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  15.5 KBName:  mould on stakes.jpg
Views: 3193
Size:  19.9 KBName:  phpFYqwJwAM.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  15.5 KB

    Hi I recently bought a phal from the roadside and it looked really healthy. The next day I saw that there was some white stuff growing on it on the stakes. I have now seen that this mold like substance has spread to the roots too. It has already affected one of my other phals so I would just like to know how to deal with this issue? Sorry if this is a double post.

  2. #2
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I have had this problem too. It is a great indicator you need to lay off watering. You can actually use the sticks to tell you when to water and when not to water. If the part in the medium is darker than the rest when it is pulled out, you dont need to water. If it is the same colour as the rest of the stake, water it.

    I always water my Phal when the top 3rd of the medium looks dry. They grow quite hapily like that.

  3. #3
    gardenguysorchids's Avatar
    gardenguysorchids is offline Don't be afraid to color outside the lines
    Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,526
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Looking at the pictures closely it looks like mealy bugs to me. If so you need to eradicate them quickly. I have been in battle with them all summer.

  4. #4
    Hoanui is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Posts
    152
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    In a word, yes. Try to give the seven day treatment when watering it. It wont die if it's a day late in being watered but you have to keep an eye one it and not let the leaves wrinkle by under watering it. As Kiwiorchids says, use the stick method if that's easier for you. In the mean time I would give it a spray with any of the fungicides you can buy on line or at a well stocked garden center. I use Murphy's Traditional Copper Fungicide easily available here in the UK.

  5. #5
    Susie11's Avatar
    Susie11 is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipediums, paphiopedilums
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    London U.K
    Posts
    679
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiorchids View Post
    I have had this problem too. It is a great indicator you need to lay off watering. You can actually use the sticks to tell you when to water and when not to water. If the part in the medium is darker than the rest when it is pulled out, you dont need to water. If it is the same colour as the rest of the stake, water it.


    I always water my Phal when the top 3rd of the medium looks dry. They grow quite hapily like that.
    So I'll get an anti fungal and stop watering for a while then. Thanks for the advice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Quote Originally Posted by gardenguysorchids View Post
    Looking at the pictures closely it looks like mealy bugs to me. If so you need to eradicate them quickly. I have been in battle with them all summer.
    What do you use to get rid of them? Are these bugs tiny little white wormy things?
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoanui View Post
    In a word, yes. Try to give the seven day treatment when watering it. It wont die if it's a day late in being watered but you have to keep an eye one it and not let the leaves wrinkle by under watering it. As Kiwiorchids says, use the stick method if that's easier for you. In the mean time I would give it a spray with any of the fungicides you can buy on line or at a well stocked garden center. I use Murphy's Traditional Copper Fungicide easily available here in the UK.
    yeah I think I will use thay method from now on. I'll get some Murphys as well but in the mean time is a garlic bath a good substitute?
    Posted via Mobile Device

  6. #6
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I found Copper Oxychloride has a detrimental effect on orchids. It can slow down or even stop growth, because they simply dont like the stuff. I use a liquid copper solution.

  7. #7
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Here are some mealy bug pictures:

    Name:  mealy bug 2.jpeg
Views: 1105
Size:  6.5 KB

    Name:  mealy bug.jpeg
Views: 3341
Size:  8.6 KB

    And the mealy bug surely wouldnt colonise the stakes, only use them as a pathway to get from one point to another. I would expect to see a number on the plant.
    Unfortunatly my stakes are too dry atm because of a short dry period i am giving the orchids. so no mold/mildew on them atm!

  8. #8
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I would wonder by the burns on the roots if the white residue on the stakes is chemical/ salts settling out of the fertilizer.

    Cheers,
    BD

  9. #9
    gardenguysorchids's Avatar
    gardenguysorchids is offline Don't be afraid to color outside the lines
    Real Name
    Bill
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Oncidium,and Catts
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,526
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiorchids View Post
    Here are some mealy bug pictures:

    Name:  mealy bug 2.jpeg
Views: 1105
Size:  6.5 KB

    Name:  mealy bug.jpeg
Views: 3341
Size:  8.6 KB

    And the mealy bug surely wouldnt colonise the stakes, only use them as a pathway to get from one point to another. I would expect to see a number on the plant.
    Unfortunatly my stakes are too dry atm because of a short dry period i am giving the orchids. so no mold/mildew on them atm!
    Yes, great pics of heavy mealy bug infestation. Looking at the second picture the two white spots on the leafs look like a mealy bug. I have also had them lay their eggs on the stakes of some plants and even on the bark. That is why it is recommended that all that be removed and discarded to get rid of them. I agree with Bruce that the other residue looks more like salt build up.

  10. #10
    kiwiorchids's Avatar
    kiwiorchids is offline Plant Nut
    Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,382
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    hmmm...now you guys mention it, it looks like it could be salt residue. I still dont think it is mealy bug though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Phal with identity issues
    By nabakov5 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM
  2. Mold on Phal roots
    By emeraude1484 in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 14th, 2010, 10:31 PM
  3. Phal Issues: bugs, repotting and spike ?'s
    By dps62a in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
  4. HELP...MY PHAL HAS MOLD!!!
    By DSHoll0426 in forum New Growers: Ask the Senior Members
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
  5. I'm having Phal Issues
    By Diane in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.