Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Water Snails

This is a discussion on Water Snails within the Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; I have been growing orchids for at least 35 years, but theirs always something more ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Mike Amies is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Angry Water Snails

    I have been growing orchids for at least 35 years, but theirs always something more to learn.
    I have been growing my orchids mostly in moss with a small amount of charcoal and Hortag (little volcanic beads). Upon seeing slugs I would get some slug clear liquid and water all my plants with it. My orchids have grown better than ever this year and I have around 40 in bloom at the moment. However, I lost some orchids from one supplier and upon speaking to them they said that "slugit" kills the roots of Odontoglossum and their alliances and they advised I get some Nematodes and treat everything with that and it would kill the slugs and the water snails. I rang a company who supplied me with the nematodes but they said that they would not kill any snails because they cannot get through their defences. I rang another orchid supplier to get a further opinion and they said that they used "Slugit" themselves and have not had any problems. Another firm said that they grew their orchids in bark and did not have either any slug or water snail problems.

    ? Does anyone know how to get rid of Water snails on the whole range of orchids including Odonts. as they are my favourite and these little snails are crawling up my spikes and feeding on all the soft bits until the tips falls over.

    Best regards Mike Amies

  2. #2
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Hi Mike,

    I have never had that problem with my orchids, but to get rid of snails in my fish take, I just drop in a couple of pennies. I think it is the copper that kills the snails. I am not certain how it works, but a pet store owner told me about it and it worked for my fish tank. It took awhile, but they all died and no more hatched out. Not sure if this will help with your orchids, but maybe a starting place.

    Cheers,
    BD

  3. #3
    clintdawley's Avatar
    clintdawley is offline Wrapped in metal..wrapped in ivy...
    Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    2,743
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Diatomaceous Earth is really good for slugs/snails and won't harm orchid roots. Just sprinkle some around the potting medium.

  4. #4
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I need some of that diatamacious earth to put all over my yard. I find slugs that look like someone lost their tongue, out in the front flower beds all the time. Ick! Florida has some big crazy bugs!
    Connie

  5. #5
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    ...I find slugs that look like someone lost their tongue, out in the front flower beds all the time. I...Connie
    That sounds just horrible!

    Cheers,
    BD

  6. #6
    wetfeet101b's Avatar
    wetfeet101b is offline It's not dead! It's just permanently dormant.
    Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,332
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Are the slugs and snails actually living inside the pots? or do they travel from the ground and up to your orchids?

    >> I just drop in a couple of pennies. I think it is the copper that kills the snails. I am not certain how it works, but a pet store owner told me about it and it worked for my fish tank.

    Drawing from both my aquarium and gardening experience:
    1. Copper + Snails = It is true that copper messes up the snail's nerves and prolonged exposure kills the snail. That is why some people line their pots with a ring of exposed copper wire. The snails cant cross over and leave the plants alone.

    2. Copper + Aquarium/Pond fish = Depending on the pH of the water, copper can dissolve slowly in the fish tank and become free floating in the water. This kills snails, and also kills other parasites that are attacking the fish. Most aquarium parasite treatments are copper based.

    3. Copper + Corals = Dead Corals. Corals also are prone to the same nerve damage that snails suffer when exposed to copper.

  7. #7
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wetfeet101b View Post
    Are the slugs and snails actually living inside the pots? or do they travel from the ground and up to your orchids?

    >> I just drop in a couple of pennies. I think it is the copper that kills the snails. I am not certain how it works, but a pet store owner told me about it and it worked for my fish tank.

    Drawing from both my aquarium and gardening experience:
    1. Copper + Snails = It is true that copper messes up the snail's nerves and prolonged exposure kills the snail. That is why some people line their pots with a ring of exposed copper wire. The snails cant cross over and leave the plants alone.

    2. Copper + Aquarium/Pond fish = Depending on the pH of the water, copper can dissolve slowly in the fish tank and become free floating in the water. This kills snails, and also kills other parasites that are attacking the fish. Most aquarium parasite treatments are copper based.

    3. Copper + Corals = Dead Corals. Corals also are prone to the same nerve damage that snails suffer when exposed to copper.
    Great information! Thanks. I should clarify. I have an aquarium that I call a fish tank. I actually do not have fish in it. I grow aquarium plants. I put in a couple of fish every so often when my nieces and nephew come for a visit, but mostly, I just grow the plants.

    Cheers,
    BD

  8. #8
    smartie2000's Avatar
    smartie2000 is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    2,202
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I want to mention that with high enough concentration of copper, fish can die too or become very stressed....most books I read don't recommend putting coins into fish tanks for that reason. The part that was contradictory was that many parasite treatments have copper ions. So I assume that copper toxicity to fish depends on the type of fish and the concentration

  9. #9
    IdahoOrchid's Avatar
    IdahoOrchid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buhl Idaho
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smartie2000 View Post
    I want to mention that with high enough concentration of copper, fish can die too or become very stressed....most books I read don't recommend putting coins into fish tanks for that reason. The part that was contradictory was that many parasite treatments have copper ions. So I assume that copper toxicity to fish depends on the type of fish and the concentration
    A large water change and frequent follow up water changes after treatment will mitigate the copper levels.

Similar Threads

  1. the last dinner for snails
    By Drosera in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
  2. snails
    By grubea in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
  3. Snails...spike for dessert
    By orchidaddict789 in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
  4. ever had coffee with your snails?
    By bench72 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
  5. Snails!!
    By Tanya in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.