It does have a smell. I actually do not mind the smell, as it goes away fairly quickly. It reminds me that I am spraying poison and that I need to be careful not to get it on me or breath the fumes. As for it being a carcinogen, I am not sure. I would think that if it was that dangerous, that one would need to be licensed to purchase and use it like other dangerous chemicals.
Because I spray in a greenhouse, I use a 1 gal sprayer fairly quickly and afterwards, I go and shower just to make sure I did not let the chemical residue settle on my body. When using any poison, just be careful.