Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Anyone been in a show?

This is a discussion on Anyone been in a show? within the Orchid Shows and Society Meetings forums, part of the TalkTalk category; I was wondering if anyone (or how many of you) had your orchids in shows ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Anyone been in a show?

    I was wondering if anyone (or how many of you) had your orchids in shows ? I'm thinking about *maybe* doing a show next year if my plants are in bloom.

  2. #2
    LJA's Avatar
    LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Clarksville, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,778
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Go for it, Traci! It's a lot of fun. Does your orchid society up there do exhibits at local NY shows? You might put a few of your plants in the next society exhibit for starters, if they do. And while you're at it, be sure to volunteer to clerk for judging--it's amazing what you'll learn!

  3. #3
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Go for it, Traci! It's a lot of fun. Does your orchid society up there do exhibits at local NY shows? You might put a few of your plants in the next society exhibit for starters, if they do. And while you're at it, be sure to volunteer to clerk for judging--it's amazing what you'll learn!
    Last show here, there were exibits for individual first timers. Alot of the area (western NY) orchid greenhouses do their own displays, and then the individual flower judging. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from Jim (the orchid farmer I work for). He always talks about first and formost the adreneline. I'm sure it can be very stressful when you are up and competing against 5 other major orchid farmer.

  4. #4
    Floofy's Avatar
    Floofy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny S Florida
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Some shows have specific categories for amateurs (non-commercial or hobbyist)...you may want to look for that as a first-timer. Another good one to put together is an Educational Display...often not as competitive, but so important.

  5. #5
    Persistence's Avatar
    Persistence is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Can we educate others on how to stay away from the AOS? *snicker*

  6. #6
    Gilda is offline "Master of the Moth and Phrags "
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    944
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Traci,
    Shows are a lot of fun, but can be a lot of work,depending on what you do for a display. I get a little anal about how things should be in displays.

    The fun part is seeing all the visitors to the show, getting hooked on growing orchids.

    One of my first posts on here was a picture of my display this year and ALL my winning phals...one paph and a couple of epi's. You can earn a lot of resect from your fellow growers....once they pick their jaw up off the floor from seeing all your awards.
    Here is a link to the photo.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24115746PLDVuH

  7. #7
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilda
    Traci,
    Shows are a lot of fun, but can be a lot of work,depending on what you do for a display. I get a little anal about how things should be in displays.

    The fun part is seeing all the visitors to the show, getting hooked on growing orchids.

    One of my first posts on here was a picture of my display this year and ALL my winning phals...one paph and a couple of epi's. You can earn a lot of resect from your fellow growers....once they pick their jaw up off the floor from seeing all your awards.
    Here is a link to the photo.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24115746PLDVuH
    I've seen that photo, it is fantastic! I have a vision of the set up I would like to do, but visions are always easier than doing! I'd also pray that some of my orchids are in bloom so I could actually enter.

  8. #8
    edcramer is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    64

    Default Orchid Shows and Society Meetings

    Hi, I always admire pictures of well grown plants. I find myself trying to grow better plants after looking at such great growing. Ed

  9. #9
    OrchidTraci's Avatar
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Floofy
    Some shows have specific categories for amateurs (non-commercial or hobbyist)...you may want to look for that as a first-timer. Another good one to put together is an Educational Display...often not as competitive, but so important.
    I LOVE your avatar pic.

  10. #10
    Floofy's Avatar
    Floofy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny S Florida
    Posts
    23

    Default Well THANKS! I've been getting heat for it from...

    some of our fellow posters (aka PERSISTENCE) I've always been a big fan of DD and couldn't think of anything clever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Philadelphia Flower Show and Longwood Gardens Show
    By Latifah731 in forum Orchid Shows and Society Meetings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
  2. OSA show pics
    By smartie2000 in forum Orchid Shows and Society Meetings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
  3. OK, I'll show you mine, now you show me yours...
    By Howard A Guest in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 8th, 2006, 12:27 AM
  4. No Show
    By Gin in forum Orchid Shows and Society Meetings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 15th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.