Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree7Likes

catasetum denticulatum

This is a discussion on catasetum denticulatum within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; just want to share, a new family member in my collection. though i had looking ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default catasetum denticulatum

    just want to share, a new family member in my collection. though i had looking at quite some denticulatum pictures, ,but never came across my mind that it would such a small size flower. the second pic is just for comparison between ctsm Chong Keng Yong and the dneticulatum. enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    What a beautiful catasetum !!!!! You do have a fabulous carasetum collection, Ian.

  3. #3
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    What a beautiful catasetum !!!!! You do have a fabulous carasetum collection, Ian.
    thank you very much Yew Sung, the interest in catasetums just gets deeper as i learn more about them. keeping my finger cross that i don't kill this plant, had been told many different scary stories about how hard they are to care for and also how many had died from my friends.

  4. #4
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
    thank you very much Yew Sung, the interest in catasetums just gets deeper as i learn more about them. keeping my finger cross that i don't kill this plant, had been told many different scary stories about how hard they are to care for and also how many had died from my friends.
    The first time I saw a Catasetum - pileatum - I fell in love with with it; and that was more than 30 years ago. I still have the first catasetum I bought Cstm Tuanku Zainab Petra. In those days catasetums were hard to come by and when they were freely available I killed my fair share of them. The trouble with growing them in our country is that there is no distinct dry season for them to rest after their flowering and when all vegetative growth has stopped and the leaves have dropped. We live in the Northern Hemisphere where the seasons are the reverse of that in the Southern Hemisphere , where Catasetums originate. This is now the blooming season for Catasetums ( winter in the S Hem) and soon they will finish blooming and making new growth. This is also the time to keep them dry (from around Sept to Oct ) and this is also the time when we have a lot of rain. I found that this was the period that I lost a lot plants due to rot. Some have adapted quite well to our weather here in Kedah where we have a dry season from Dec to Feb. I also found that they don't like to be overpotted.

    May be I'm the wrong person to be giving out advice especially to you, since you are the catasetum specialist.

  5. #5
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    The first time I saw a Catasetum - pileatum - I fell in love with with it; and that was more than 30 years ago. I still have the first catasetum I bought Cstm Tuanku Zainab Petra. In those days catasetums were hard to come by and when they were freely available I killed my fair share of them. The trouble with growing them in our country is that there is no distinct dry season for them to rest after their flowering and when all vegetative growth has stopped and the leaves have dropped. We live in the Northern Hemisphere where the seasons are the reverse of that in the Southern Hemisphere , where Catasetums originate. This is now the blooming season for Catasetums ( winter in the S Hem) and soon they will finish blooming and making new growth. This is also the time to keep them dry (from around Sept to Oct ) and this is also the time when we have a lot of rain. I found that this was the period that I lost a lot plants due to rot. Some have adapted quite well to our weather here in Kedah where we have a dry season from Dec to Feb. I also found that they don't like to be overpotted.

    May be I'm the wrong person to be giving out advice especially to you, since you are the catasetum specialist.
    YEW SUNG, you are being too humble. thank you for sharing your catasetum cultivation experience and me too had killed my first catasetum (it a penang x susan fuchs x jumbo pearl). so far i had killed two (the second is a penang x pileatum) and really hope that this denticulatum would not the be third one.
    i am just a green horn in catasetum cultivation, so far only about two years experience in growing them and i am still learning. so apprentice i am but not a specialist (those words are far too kind).
    however i did find that potting them in 100% charcoal in clay pots with fenestrated sides seems to favor the growth of catasetums roots very much. these media dry up quite fast, had the least problems with fungus and provide good aeration. i never favor sphagnum moss and i do find they are quite problematic at times.
    i had a shaded area protected from rain where i hang all the pots of dormant and fully mature bulbs, they will rest here till they produce keiki or i will start dividing them here.
    all i can do now is to hope for this denticulatum bulb to mature and then i would pull the whole plant out from the moss that it is in when i purchase it. the moss are freaking me out.

  6. #6
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Ian, I'm completely with you re the sphagnum moss. It's just not for us here in Malaysia, except maybe for Paphs, and that only as a top dressing. Even for Paphs I now use shredded fern roots instead of sphagnum as top dressing.

  7. #7
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Ian, I'm completely with you re the sphagnum moss. It's just not for us here in Malaysia, except maybe for Paphs, and that only as a top dressing. Even for Paphs I now use shredded fern roots instead of sphagnum as top dressing.
    as on the sphagnum moss as top dressing,( i got the idea as i was re-potting the denticulatum) cover the thin moss with a thicker layer of charcoal to prevent sunlight from reaching it to prevent algae growth. then we get the additional moisture without algae problem, i guess....but i will experiment on this on some of my bulbos
    but if given a choice, i still prefer the shredded fern roots.

  8. #8
    sherene's Avatar
    sherene is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Tan Poh Hong
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda, paphiopedilum
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Posts
    285
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I recently bought a catasetum ( after I saw your beautiful photos for Catasetum) from Sungai Buloh and the next day the flower dry out! The leaves look a bit dry so I water the plant a lot and today after reading Yew and your post that I know I'm going to kill it soon. I can't wait to go home to dry it.............Thanks for sharing your beautiful Catasetum. I have a lot to learn.

  9. #9
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherene View Post
    I recently bought a catasetum ( after I saw your beautiful photos for Catasetum) from Sungai Buloh and the next day the flower dry out! The leaves look a bit dry so I water the plant a lot and today after reading Yew and your post that I know I'm going to kill it soon. I can't wait to go home to dry it.............Thanks for sharing your beautiful Catasetum. I have a lot to learn.
    hi Sherene,
    before you start drying out your catasetum and stop heavy watering, i think you should evaluate the lead bulb first. if the bulb is in active immature stage (the stage where most catasetums send out their spike with some exception), i would still resume heavy watering and weak fertilizing as the bulbs are still growing.
    on the contrary if the bulb is already at the mature stage (full cigar shape bulb is fully form and bottoms leaves are shedding off), then i would allow dry period between watering intervals.
    these are merely my suggestion and assumption that your catasetums are in charcoal media, if you are having one with sphagnum moss, i would still recommend to allow it to dry up a bit before watering.
    if you are interested in some basic detail on catasetums cultivation in our tropical climate, you can check out this blog of mine
    catasetum-ian: catasetums cultivation, in Malaysia
    - i am too learning about catasetums cultivation so the blogs only contain basic info base on my own experience, hope you find it useful

  10. #10
    rudimasara is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13

    Default

    beautiful!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. catasetum callosum
    By catasetum-ian in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: December 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
  2. Catasetum ID Please
    By siaogu in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
  3. Catasetum Planiceps
    By raika in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
  4. Catasetum need ID!
    By raika in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM
  5. Catasetum ID
    By smwboxer in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 25th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.