Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
Like Tree3Likes

My Cymbidium Corsage - Our belated wedding reception 10.9.11

This is a discussion on My Cymbidium Corsage - Our belated wedding reception 10.9.11 within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Good eye. You're right. The lip would be wider at the bottom.......

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #21
    ang709's Avatar
    ang709 is offline Loves 'chids
    Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,668
    Recipes
    3

    Default

    Good eye. You're right. The lip would be wider at the bottom....

  2. #22
    pavel's Avatar
    pavel is offline change is the only constant
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,643
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Lovely flowrs! & congrats!


  3. #23
    cakedaddy's Avatar
    cakedaddy is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Congrats! I can't help with the golden orchid ID...unless you were able to get it to grow golden keikis. In that case you could name your own genera 'giltidium'.

    PS...you've given me a great idea...I set up and decorate wedding cakes part-time and I get to play with orchids often. I think I will make a thread! Thanks and I wish you both a happy life together!
    Posted via Mobile Device

  4. #24
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakedaddy View Post
    Congrats! I can't help with the golden orchid ID...unless you were able to get it to grow golden keikis. In that case you could name your own genera 'giltidium'.

    PS...you've given me a great idea...I set up and decorate wedding cakes part-time and I get to play with orchids often. I think I will make a thread! Thanks and I wish you both a happy life together!
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Again - thanks to everyone for their good wishes - we'll use them!

    Jason - My mom came up with the orchid corsages (and the rest of the flowers as well) - I think fresh orchids would be GREAT on a wedding cake - just make sure the parties involved realize how special that is - not just ANY flowers - but ORCHIDS!

  5. #25
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Just a quick note to anyone interested in my "gold fondue" orchid bloom ( Vandanopsis maurae 'Wedding Gift', is its taxonomy as far as I'm concerned, at least at this point): My daughter has a roommate from Singapore who had something like it and Abby got the information to order it for me. Anyone who would like specifics is welcome to PM me.

  6. #26
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    Just a quick note to anyone interested in my "gold fondue" orchid bloom ( Vandanopsis maurae 'Wedding Gift', is its taxonomy as far as I'm concerned, at least at this point): My daughter has a roommate from Singapore who had something like it and Abby got the information to order it for me. Anyone who would like specifics is welcome to PM me.
    I think you've got quite close to ID the orchid - most probably not a pure Vandaenopsis but hybrid of it. Could be an Opsistylis (now Vandachostylis) Lanna Thai or other Opsistylis BUT the maurae 'Wedding Gift' does have a nice ring to it. I used to have a few of these 'gilded' orchids (prizes at orchid shows) but gave them away except 2, one my wife uses as a brooch and one as my tie-pin.

  7. #27
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    I think you've got quite close to ID the orchid - most probably not a pure Vandaenopsis but hybrid of it. Could be an Opsistylis (now Vandachostylis) Lanna Thai or other Opsistylis BUT the maurae 'Wedding Gift' does have a nice ring to it. I used to have a few of these 'gilded' orchids (prizes at orchid shows) but gave them away except 2, one my wife uses as a brooch and one as my tie-pin.

    Thank you, Yew! You are such a gentleman, as well as a fount of knowledge. I'll bet your gilded orchids are really beautiful - what a great way to memorialize a prize-winner!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. ID of old corsage orchid
    By Zozzl in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
  2. Lc. white reception
    By remo in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM
  3. Tim, Happy Belated Birthday!
    By LJA in forum The Outback Terrace Bar
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 29th, 2005, 04:29 AM
  4. Happy Belated Birthday ED!
    By OrchidTraci in forum The Outback Terrace Bar
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.