Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree4Likes

Doritis pulcherrima, peloric form

This is a discussion on Doritis pulcherrima, peloric form within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Hi, also a first timer. I'm still struggling to find the correct name, it's mostly ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    walingwaling's Avatar
    walingwaling is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tacloban city, Leyte
    Posts
    6,064
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Doritis pulcherrima, peloric form

    Hi,

    also a first timer. I'm still struggling to find the correct name, it's mostly posted as an alba form, which is quite funny with those colors. Then it's been called var. champorensis, but apparently it isn't valid, maybe it was never published as such?
    What's clear is the peloric form and i very much like it!

    Cheers and thanks for input!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    gnathaniel's Avatar
    gnathaniel is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Nat
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Athens, GA, USA
    Posts
    120
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Can't help with what to call it, but lovely all the same!

  3. #3
    123orchids's Avatar
    123orchids is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Gabriela
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Vanda, Dendrobium
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    1,090
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    It looks like my Phalaenopsis Dor. Chumpornensis 2011, what do you think? Name:  7064914011_63083b3994.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  48.6 KB

  4. #4
    abiom's Avatar
    abiom is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    azhar
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Eria, Paphiopedillum, Cymbidiu
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    melaka,malaysia
    Posts
    865
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Can't help you but you really capture its beauty, so wonderful!

  5. #5
    walingwaling's Avatar
    walingwaling is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tacloban city, Leyte
    Posts
    6,064
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123orchids View Post
    It looks like my Phalaenopsis Dor. Chumpornensis 2011, what do you think? Name:  7064914011_63083b3994.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  48.6 KB
    Yes Gabriela,
    but the name? and the tag on your plant is even more confusing, not to say wrong in many ways.

    But thanks for helping!

  6. #6
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    It is a lovely peloric orchid. I'm not sure it is alba with that much color though. Regardless, I would love to have one just like it.

    cheers,
    BD

  7. #7
    eorchids's Avatar
    eorchids is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Eric
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Laelia, Phalaenopsis
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Orléans, France
    Posts
    1,886
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    The usual name is Phalaenopsis (Doritis) pulcherrima var. alba 'Chumpornensis' if it is this clone (the best known).
    Bruce is right, with yellow on the petals, it shouldn't be named alba. In fact, it is the result of the pelorism so... I don't know.
    I had this one before, a huge plant with 5 basal keikis. I divide it to give the keikis to friends. Then, my mother plant died.

  8. #8
    walingwaling's Avatar
    walingwaling is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tacloban city, Leyte
    Posts
    6,064
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eorchids View Post
    The usual name is Phalaenopsis (Doritis) pulcherrima var. alba 'Chumpornensis' if it is this clone (the best known).
    Bruce is right, with yellow on the petals, it shouldn't be named alba. In fact, it is the result of the pelorism so... I don't know.
    I had this one before, a huge plant with 5 basal keikis. I divide it to give the keikis to friends. Then, my mother plant died.
    Yes Eric,
    it certainly is a headache, and can't be an alba form, even the name Chumpornensis comes in variations, lol.
    Sorry to hear about your mother plant, now go back to your friends and get some keikis, haha.

  9. #9
    Roy's Avatar
    Roy
    Roy is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Ascda, Vanda, Paphs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,670
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Ron, my 20 cents worth, Chumpornensis is as described by Bruce & Eric. White with yellow &/or gold pelorism. The amount varies greatly when outcrossed or selfed. It also appears from nil to normal when Chump' is crossed with the true alba form. These have been sold as Chump' in various locations !!! Wrong. The same type of peloric reaction occurs when Chump' is crossed with the standard pink - purple form of pulcherrima. These look fantastic & again have been marketed as Chumpornensis forms, wrong again. Without knowing the full background of the plant its near impossible to tell what it actually is. I would be most happy in naming it P. pulcherrima fma Chumpornensis, even though, as noted, cchumpornensis isn't a recognised name at Kew Monocots, there are many orchid names that way but are genuine names in their country of origin. ( They may know better anyway )
    Last edited by Roy; June 24th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

  10. #10
    walingwaling's Avatar
    walingwaling is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tacloban city, Leyte
    Posts
    6,064
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Ron, my 20 cents worth, Chumpornensis is as described by Bruce & Eric. White with yellow &/or gold pelorism. The amount varies greatly when outcrossed or selfed. It also appears from nil to normal when Chump' is crossed with the true alba form. These have been sold as Chump' in various locations !!! Wrong. The same type of peloric reaction occurs when Chump' is crossed with the standard pink - purple form of pulcherrima. These look fantastic & again have been marketed as Chumpornensis forms, wrong again. Without knowing the full background of the plant its near impossible to tell what it actually is. I would be most happy in naming it P. pulcherrima fma Chumpornensis, even though, as noted, cchumpornensis isn't a recognised name at Kew Monocots, there are many orchid names that way but are genuine names in their ountry of origin. ( They may know better anyway )
    Thanks Roy,
    i appreciate your 20 cents! Well, at least i know now that it was described and the fact that KEW doesn't recognize it, doesn't bother me at all, lol. Still, as you said, no way of knowing what it actually is, i just have to leave it like this.
    Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Doritis Pulcherrima...
    By Brutal_Dreamer in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2015, 07:06 PM
  2. Doritis pulcherrima
    By abiom in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
  3. Doritis pulcherrima
    By walingwaling in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM
  4. Doritis pulcherrima
    By siaogu in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
  5. Doritis pulcherrima
    By LJA in forum Genus Specific
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.