Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree19Likes

Epidendrum nocturnum

This is a discussion on Epidendrum nocturnum within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; how is the scent?????? i've been wanting one of these....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    coeruleo's Avatar
    coeruleo is offline Night Bloomer
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    how is the scent?????? i've been wanting one of these.

  2. #12
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakedaddy View Post
    Really pretty lip...I love the yellow ridges! I hope your tree babies do well!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I've got my fingers crossed. I would love to go back there in a few years and find tiny nocturnums growing everywhere. They could fight the newly transplanted tampensis plants for the tree.

  3. #13
    gnathaniel's Avatar
    gnathaniel is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Nat
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Athens, GA, USA
    Posts
    120
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Beautiful flower! I love this species, to my nose the fragrance is similar to that of a really nice aromatic ripe pear. A couple of years ago I tied about 12 large seedlings to trees around my in-laws' yard in Valrico FL. Last time I was there, 6 months ago, at least 4 or 5 were still in evidence and growing well. Several of the dead/missing ones looked like they'd been ripped out of the tree, I'd guess by squirrels but who knows...

  4. #14
    orchidsal's Avatar
    orchidsal is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    3,776
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thats a super looking bloom Connie. It being a Florida native orchid rather enhances it in my eyes also. Hope those tiny seeds make for big results! You never really know! AL

  5. #15
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gnathaniel View Post
    Beautiful flower! I love this species, to my nose the fragrance is similar to that of a really nice aromatic ripe pear. A couple of years ago I tied about 12 large seedlings to trees around my in-laws' yard in Valrico FL. Last time I was there, 6 months ago, at least 4 or 5 were still in evidence and growing well. Several of the dead/missing ones looked like they'd been ripped out of the tree, I'd guess by squirrels but who knows...
    I agree with the squirrel's being what removes them. I had put a clump on the fence and they ripped it off and threw it on the ground. If something is in their way they remove it. We have a thriving squirrel population in the trees behind us and if I try to mount anything in their 'road way', they remove it. lol I've watched them do it....

  6. #16
    King Kjeldz is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Kjeldsen Affoon
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Trichocentrums,Local Species
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    698
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    two words...pellet gun hahhhhahhah nuttin is gonna eat my chids......we keep squirrels as pets.....they different to American squirrels..Neotropical Red Tailed Squirrels

  7. #17
    coeruleo's Avatar
    coeruleo is offline Night Bloomer
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    i hate squirrels. ever since one attacked me for picking 'his figs' from 'his tree' in my brother's back yard. and i swear that dang this bit into every avocado on purpose. i put out a birdfeeder and one broke into it and all but lived in there scaring off birds until the food was gone. greedy little fluffy tailed piglets. i agree, pellet gun is the way to go.

  8. #18
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    i hate squirrels. ever since one attacked me for picking 'his figs' from 'his tree' in my brother's back yard. and i swear that dang this bit into every avocado on purpose. i put out a birdfeeder and one broke into it and all but lived in there scaring off birds until the food was gone. greedy little fluffy tailed piglets. i agree, pellet gun is the way to go.
    Sometimes when i'm out they will sit and scream like I'm on their porch. Where i'm from i'd never seen a squirrel holler like that. Down here they all will just wail away at one another, or you if you are in their spot. And i'd never heard of them destroying fruit, but can believe it. Awful things...basically they are a rat with a fuzzy tail.

  9. #19
    coeruleo's Avatar
    coeruleo is offline Night Bloomer
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    i grew up out in the woods, and they were not a bother. i guess they had more food sources and privacy, or something. here in the city they are very territorial, quite bold, and seem to be angry little things. and if you ever feed them they will hound you for food the rest of your life. they used to chew holes through the windows screens to get in and steal food after they gave one a piece of zagnut bar. we have some sort of 'invasive' squirrel from back east taking over the squirrel population here supposedly they are more aggressive and larger than local squirrels, although i have seen some huge grey squirrels too, not sure if they are a hybrid or not...

  10. #20
    Cjcorner's Avatar
    Cjcorner is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of Tampa, FL
    Posts
    9,139
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    i grew up out in the woods, and they were not a bother. i guess they had more food sources and privacy, or something. here in the city they are very territorial, quite bold, and seem to be angry little things. and if you ever feed them they will hound you for food the rest of your life. they used to chew holes through the windows screens to get in and steal food after they gave one a piece of zagnut bar. we have some sort of 'invasive' squirrel from back east taking over the squirrel population here supposedly they are more aggressive and larger than local squirrels, although i have seen some huge grey squirrels too, not sure if they are a hybrid or not...
    So basically, city squirrels (much like humans), get loud and aggressive...while their country cousins are quiet and laid back and enjoy a good Willie Nelson tune from time to time. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. culture for Epidendrum nocturnum?
    By pk93 in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 5th, 2015, 12:16 PM
  2. Epidendrum Nocturnum
    By Cjcorner in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
  3. Epidendrum Nocturnum in bud
    By Cjcorner in forum **NOT IN BLOOM** All Genera
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
  4. Epidendrum Silvestre (Epidendrum coronatum x Epidendrum pseudepi
    By Brutal_Dreamer in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM
  5. Epidendrum nocturnum
    By smwboxer in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.