Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree15Likes

catasetum pileatum 'snow cup'

This is a discussion on catasetum pileatum 'snow cup' within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; second spike of my snow cup just bloomed today, eight of them...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default catasetum pileatum 'snow cup'

    second spike of my snow cup just bloomed today, eight of them
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,753
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I can see why you called it "snow cup" very beautiful white color form congrats Ian.

  3. #3
    Orkala's Avatar
    Orkala is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Blanca
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    136
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Very clean looking and nice pictures.

  4. #4
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    I can see why you called it "snow cup" very beautiful white color form congrats Ian.
    the cultivar name is there when i obtained it. may i take opportunity to ask how does one plant gets the cultivar name? do they have to win some form of certificate in contest in order to get one?

  5. #5
    pavel's Avatar
    pavel is offline change is the only constant
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,643
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Lovely whites!

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
    the cultivar name is there when i obtained it. may i take opportunity to ask how does one plant gets the cultivar name? do they have to win some form of certificate in contest in order to get one?
    Pretty much it is the same process by which hybrids typically get named, Ian. The orchid is submitted for judging. If it is considered to be an exemplary specimen it is then awarded. At that point, the owner (or hybridizer for hybrids) can choose to give the orchid -- in the case of a species -- a varietal name. The name is then registered with an orchid organization like AOS or RHS. Any clones or divisions of that orchid then carry that same varietal name. (*NOTE: Sometimes people will choose to give an orchid a name even if the orchid was not awarded. (Basically they name it just for the fun of it or for sentimental reasons.) Such names are generally not registered and as such should not be applied to divisions or clones.)





  6. #6
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    Lovely whites!



    Pretty much it is the same process by which hybrids typically get named, Ian. The orchid is submitted for judging. If it is considered to be an exemplary specimen it is then awarded. At that point, the owner (or hybridizer for hybrids) can choose to give the orchid -- in the case of a species -- a varietal name. The name is then registered with an orchid organization like AOS or RHS. Any clones or divisions of that orchid then carry that same varietal name. (*NOTE: Sometimes people will choose to give an orchid a name even if the orchid was not awarded. (Basically they name it just for the fun of it or for sentimental reasons.) Such names are generally not registered and as such should not be applied to divisions or clones.)




    "

    thank you very much for the info. but i am not sure if this cultivar "snow cup" is registered or not. thanks anyway

  7. #7
    Robert is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
    Posts
    396
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    wow awesome colours ( is white a colours)

  8. #8
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is online now Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    that is an awesome orchid! Love the blooms and the pretty display. Great name too!

    cheers,
    BD

  9. #9
    Scotty's Avatar
    Scotty is offline Certifiably Obsessed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Comala, Colima, Mexico
    Posts
    62
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Ian...one of the 'Rules' of Orchid Nomenclature says that 'once an Orchid is awarded, the 'cultivar (clone)' name carries forward with all divisions, including mericlones, of the plant.
    The cultivar name CAN NOT be changed once the publication of the award and name is done. This rule applies to awards given by National and International groups like the AOS... JOGA... RHS... TOS... and so on.

    Some exhibitors have purchased a division of an awarded plant... changed the 'cultivar' name... re-submitted the plant for judging with the new 'cultivar' name... and had it awarded again. This practice is considered a 'Cardinal Sin' in the Orchid community... and if discovered... can usually mean that the exhibitor will be seen in an unfavorable light in the future.
    The only 'exception' to this rule is when the plant has received a Cultural award... that award is to the exhibitor... and the 'cultivar' name is not required to carry forward with the plant's divisions... although it usually does... to denote a plant that is capable of growing to a large size.

    If a plant is purchased that already has a 'Cultivar' name... it is best to retain the name... as it is possible that it has already been awarded... and the information has not yet made it into general publication and distribution.

    I hope this is not too confusing...

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post

    thank you very much for the info. but i am not sure if this cultivar "snow cup" is registered or not. thanks anyway

  10. #10
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    The only 'exception' to this rule is when the plant has received a Cultural award... that award is to the exhibitor... and the 'cultivar' name is not required to carry forward with the plant's divisions... although it usually does... to denote a plant that is capable of growing to a large size.
    thanks for the info, understood all of it but i would prefer a little bit more clarification on this part i included in the quote. don't quite get the part on the cultural award.
    the reason i am not sure to use the cultivar name is because i was told by a local forum member here that an unnamed orchid division can be named by the owner even though without winning any award which i don't think is right. so, i wasn't sure the cultivar name of my pileatum is an awarded name or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. catasetum pileatum 'snow cup'
    By catasetum-ian in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
  2. Catasetum pileatum 'Icy Green'
    By catttan in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: June 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
  3. catasetum penang (ctsm susan fuch x catasetum pileatum 'green gold)
    By catasetum-ian in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
  4. catasetum pileatum white "snow cup"
    By catasetum-ian in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
  5. catasetum pileatum
    By Miva in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 29th, 2010, 03:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.