Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree10Likes

Fredclarkeara (Fdk) Desert Tenor 'Sierra Vista' HCC_AOS

This is a discussion on Fredclarkeara (Fdk) Desert Tenor 'Sierra Vista' HCC_AOS within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; This is another Fredclarkeara (Clowesia x Mormodes x Catasetum)... similar to the more familiar Fdk. ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Scotty's Avatar
    Scotty is offline Certifiably Obsessed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Comala, Colima, Mexico
    Posts
    62
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Fredclarkeara (Fdk) Desert Tenor 'Sierra Vista' HCC_AOS

    This is another Fredclarkeara (Clowesia x Mormodes x Catasetum)...
    similar to the more familiar Fdk. After Dark... and close in parentage...
    Fdk. Desert Tenor is Mormodia (Mo) Painted Desert x Catasetum (Ctsm) tenebrosum...
    Fdk. After Dark is Mo. Painted Desert x Ctsm Donna Wise [Ctsm. tenebrosum x Orchidglade]

    This Fdk. Desert Tenor was awarded an HCC_AOS [78 pts] on Monday night [10-22-2012]
    in the Pacific South Judging Region at Long Beach, CA. Two other clones of this cross have been awarded previously... an AM... and an FCC.

    I find the patterning of the spots to be quite pleasing... and the overall form is good... 35 flowers on 2 arching spikes. Name:  Fdk. Desert Tenor Sierra Vista HCC 78 pts. 20124933 IMG_8247-resize-477x700.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  142.6 KB

  2. #2
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    This is very beautiful!!

  3. #3
    Halloamey's Avatar
    Halloamey is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    5,363
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Gorgeous ! I am counting the days till my After dark blooms.

  4. #4
    Dorsetman's Avatar
    Dorsetman is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England, South coast.
    Posts
    3,241
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Ah... the technicalities of this escape me - ( and really, I don't want to know ! ) why my pics appear as pictures, and this one appears only with the words "attachment No. so and so ..."
    But now that I can see it, I do like these flowers.
    I have After Dark myself, and whilst I was impresed by the colour ( if nearly black can be called a colour ) that was about all that did impress me. Maybe it was not so good on the first flowering , when the bare bulb had been bought a year before so that the roots were all recent and not - I suspect - as extensive as they would be this year or next, but the size, and the lasting qualitieds wre poor.
    But Catasetum hybrids are not easy to source or check out , and I have been growing them for too short a time even to have achieved levels of cultivation quality which satisfy me , so maybe - probably - I am not yet seeing what these things can really do.
    Buit they really are something different.
    I do like this one ! Do you know anything about the breeder/raiser ? All the ones I get - I am up to maybe 30 or 40 hybrids now in my collection, but only a small proportion flowered at all, so far... but all come from one breeder you will know of, in Korea. If yours is a Florida hybrid, it is likely to be unobtainable here anyway.

  5. #5
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,753
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Wow the flowers so beautiful I like it the marking on the petals so nice.

  6. #6
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    "I have After Dark myself, and whilst I was impresed by the colour ( if nearly black can be called a colour ) that was about all that did impress me."

    "But Catasetum hybrids are not easy to source"

    "But they really are something different."

    I do like this one ! Do you know anything about the breeder/raiser ? All the ones I get - I am up to maybe 30 or 40 hybrids now in my collection, but only a small proportion flowered at all, so far... but all come from one breeder you will know of, in Korea. If yours is a Florida hybrid, it is likely to be unobtainable here anyway.
    concur with Geoff with the first three points in the quote. the only thing that attracts my attention is the black coloration of the Fdk. After Dark. my interest was in catasetums mainly and thus the after dark resembles more of a clowesia flower! however i came across of a hybrid that where the shape is more of a catasetum flower and it is black as well.
    it's a cross between Mo. Painted Dessert and Catasetum fimbriatum var. morrenianum


    and Geoff, you may want to try to contact Fred Clarke ---- Vendor information removed - see FAQs on Posting ----, the originator of the Fdk, he got a vast array of catasetinae hybrids! all i know he do international shipping as long as you get the paper work done on your part.

  7. #7
    Dorsetman's Avatar
    Dorsetman is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England, South coast.
    Posts
    3,241
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catasetum-ian View Post
    and Geoff, you may want to try to contact Fred Clarke ---- Vendor information removed - see FAQs on Posting ----, the originator of the Fdk, he got a vast array of catasetinae hybrids! all i know he do international shipping as long as you get the paper work done on your part.
    Well, i will send him a message and see - but the idiots in my government department which make the rules have just upped the official fee to £80 ( 130 us dollars ) per genus for a permit - so i should need to import far more plants than i can possibly want to bring the price down to a reasonable one !

  8. #8
    Scotty's Avatar
    Scotty is offline Certifiably Obsessed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Comala, Colima, Mexico
    Posts
    62
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Geoff... this plant was hybridized by Fred Clarke. I use somewhat different methods of culture with my Catasetinae...
    if you are interested... let me know and i will detail it here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Ah... the technicalities of this escape me - ( and really, I don't want to know ! ) why my pics appear as pictures, and this one appears only with the words "attachment No. so and so ..."
    But now that I can see it, I do like these flowers.
    I have After Dark myself, and whilst I was impresed by the colour ( if nearly black can be called a colour ) that was about all that did impress me. Maybe it was not so good on the first flowering , when the bare bulb had been bought a year before so that the roots were all recent and not - I suspect - as extensive as they would be this year or next, but the size, and the lasting qualitieds wre poor.
    But Catasetum hybrids are not easy to source or check out , and I have been growing them for too short a time even to have achieved levels of cultivation quality which satisfy me , so maybe - probably - I am not yet seeing what these things can really do.
    Buit they really are something different.
    I do like this one ! Do you know anything about the breeder/raiser ? All the ones I get - I am up to maybe 30 or 40 hybrids now in my collection, but only a small proportion flowered at all, so far... but all come from one breeder you will know of, in Korea. If yours is a Florida hybrid, it is likely to be unobtainable here anyway.

  9. #9
    catasetum-ian's Avatar
    catasetum-ian is offline apprentice
    Real Name
    ian
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catasetums
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    malaysia, selangor
    Posts
    1,218
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Geoff... this plant was hybridized by Fred Clarke. I use somewhat different methods of culture with my Catasetinae...
    if you are interested... let me know and i will detail it here.
    i am interested too listen to your culture of catasetinae as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Well, i will send him a message and see - but the idiots in my government department which make the rules have just upped the official fee to £80 ( 130 us dollars ) per genus for a permit - so i should need to import far more plants than i can possibly want to bring the price down to a reasonable one !
    well, the good news is numbers is not going to be a problem here because i am sure you can find a truck load of catasetinae in his store. good luck

  10. #10
    Scotty's Avatar
    Scotty is offline Certifiably Obsessed
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Comala, Colima, Mexico
    Posts
    62
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Ian... my methods have been developed over several years [40] of trial and error...
    I have tried many different types of potting material [substrate]... and have settled on fresh, pure New Zealand sphagnum moss. Almost all of the other mixes have worked ok... but the moss works best for my conditions...
    I use round, hexagonal, or octagonal black plastic baskets that have a large mesh-like structure.
    The size is determined by the plant... but I pot the plants with only a little room to spare... and use pre-moistened moss... as that seems to give me the best 'fit' in the pot.
    My water is purified by Reverse Osmosis... and stored in 50 gallon white plastic drums inside the greenhouse,,, it is given time to adjust itself to the 'room temperature' of the greenhouse before use...
    Because of the Sphagnum... my fertilizer is balanced [20-20-20]... and mixed at 1/2 strength of the recommendation on the container.
    My method of watering the Catasetinae is born out of the necessity to keep water out of the axils of the developing new growths... I use a container that I fill to the height of the 'pot rim' with the fertilizer mix... and
    the plants are submerged to the pot rim in the solution for 5 to 10 seconds... and then hung to drip over the container for a minute or two.
    I would like to state at this point... that the Catasetinae require a pronounced rest period... beginning with the leaves yellowing and dropping... or at the end of the flowering season after the leaves have dropped... and continuing until the new emerging growths have produced new roots at least 5 cm long.
    No water...[outside of an occasional 'spritzing' if the bulbs begin to shrivel]... until the roots are long enough.
    Some growers remove the plants from their pots as soon as they become dormant... and separate [divide] them into single... or two bulb divisions.
    I do not do this unless the plant shows signs of stress... and at that time i remove the plant from the moss... inspect and trim any old or damaged roots... and re-pot using fresh moss. I have not had a great deal of success with the 'unpotting and letting them stay out of pot' method... as my winter can become very dry.
    I 'Hang 'em High'... up as high as i can without burning the leaves... they like 'bright' but slightly shady conditions... with plenty of air movement.
    We all have different ways of cultivating our plants... but this method has worked well for me for many years.

    any comments... or other questions will be glady appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM
  2. Fredclarkeara After Dark ‘Sunset Valley Orchids’ FCC/AOS
    By mauricioguga in forum Cattleyas, Vandas, Dendrobiums IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM
  3. Black, blacker, blackest Orchid Fredclarkeara After Dark
    By Dorsetman in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
  4. Phal Buena Vista Cerise Stars
    By Diane in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
  5. Paph Sierra Lace
    By sgratrix in forum Photography Archive 1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.