Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Like Tree33Likes

Aerides quinquevulnera

This is a discussion on Aerides quinquevulnera within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Originally Posted by Cjcorner I always get a giggle over how large a plant these ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,775
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    I always get a giggle over how large a plant these are and how small the flowers. Then you will take other vandas with smaller plants and large flowers. Love your flowers! Do they have a nice scent?
    The plants is relatively very huge, tough and slow growing but he never failed me to blooms almost every year although the individual flower very small just about 2 x 2 cm but was compensated very well with more than 40 flowers and very long spike similar like Fox-tail, the smell is awesome Connie totally different from lawrencia or even odorata it's has been very unique i'm not that good in describing the fragrance.

    ---------- Post Merged at 10:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    My plants only small Zain. A good time off flowering. I've had it for a while but like a lot of my plants, it suffered quite a lot in the 6 months while I was laid up. All improving as can be seen from my pics.
    I'm glad to hear that your plant already recovered I wish I can see your clone one day as var. calayana really very interesting as they have many color variations the best always deep purple thanks Roy.

  2. #12
    mazlani's Avatar
    mazlani is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    mazlan
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    bulbophyllum
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    2,869
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    So very nice clone En. Zainal. Assalam.

  3. #13
    angel's Avatar
    angel is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Angel
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Aerides, Ascocenda
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cotabato City, The Philippines
    Posts
    1,746
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I see why you are happy, Zain. Despite the blasted buds, it still has a lot of flowers in bloom. And I think the scent makes you smile too.

  4. #14
    citywildcat's Avatar
    citywildcat is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    suburban Detroit
    Posts
    209
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    After waiting for almost 2 moths finally he show off his beauties so sad this time many buds blasted not that sure the reason and the flowers also very dirty? I'm still happy.
    Zainal, my last Koellensteinia ionoptera was the same way. I could see it developing and knew that some of the flowers wouldn't "look right". This orchid has the same type of spike/bud/flower arrangement as yours does, a single spike with many flowers or a few spikes with many flowers. On mine some of tips of the petals were curled (not an accepted standard for this orchid, LOL). Some were, as you said, dirty/brown/discolored. It's such a disappointment to wait so long and put in so much work, only to have that happen. I too, looked back in my mind to try and see what the problem could have been but wasn't ever able to figure it out. STILL BETTER TO GET SOMETHING THAN NOTHING THOUGH! I don't see that one over here very often either

  5. #15
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,775
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mazlani View Post
    So very nice clone En. Zainal. Assalam.
    Thanks En Mazlan waalaikumusalam.

    ---------- Post Merged at 11:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    I see why you are happy, Zain. Despite the blasted buds, it still has a lot of flowers in bloom. And I think the scent makes you smile too.
    Thanks Angel you are right at least the rest of the buds finally opened and please me with the awesome scent.

    ---------- Post Merged at 11:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by citywildcat View Post
    Zainal, my last Koellensteinia ionoptera was the same way. I could see it developing and knew that some of the flowers wouldn't "look right". This orchid has the same type of spike/bud/flower arrangement as yours does, a single spike with many flowers or a few spikes with many flowers. On mine some of tips of the petals were curled (not an accepted standard for this orchid, LOL). Some were, as you said, dirty/brown/discolored. It's such a disappointment to wait so long and put in so much work, only to have that happen. I too, looked back in my mind to try and see what the problem could have been but wasn't ever able to figure it out. STILL BETTER TO GET SOMETHING THAN NOTHING THOUGH! I don't see that one over here very often either
    Citywildcat first of all congrats for the flowers nothing much that can we do maybe he curled back due to genetically defect but maybe I'm wrong, I had vanda furva all the petals were curled thought due to weather or fertilizer however the next spikes he had no different now I knew already, the best for the future if you want to buy the plants if possible try to see the flowers first rather then just grabbed it, always impossible cause when we bought most of the wild species they were in bear roots especially those from other country during the orchids fair.

  6. #16
    citywildcat's Avatar
    citywildcat is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    suburban Detroit
    Posts
    209
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Zainal, regarding the "improperly formed" flowers, I'll probably find out shortly if that one blooming season was a "quirk" or if they're all going to be that way - it's putting out new leaves right now so it should be blooming in the next few months. I AM TO BLAME for some of my failures early this summer. I'm able to raise my humidity up over 80% and keep it that way for the better part of the day but it's not a good idea, even with the offset of appropriate air circulation. So yes, some "abnormalities" are the fault of the grower. In my case, I did see the flower when it bloomed in 2012. Last year was when I took over. This is my second chance, so we'll see what happens! And YES, I totally AGREE with you about those "fairs" or buying something bare root/without seeing the flower. I allowed a dealer to send me something when he came to the United States for a show. It arrived bare root and for whatever reason, this wasn't caught by customs (A "crawly" thing came out of it when I unwrapped it) - it didn't look like ANY insect around here.). No more dealing with that person.

  7. #17
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,775
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citywildcat View Post
    Zainal, regarding the "improperly formed" flowers, I'll probably find out shortly if that one blooming season was a "quirk" or if they're all going to be that way - it's putting out new leaves right now so it should be blooming in the next few months. I AM TO BLAME for some of my failures early this summer. I'm able to raise my humidity up over 80% and keep it that way for the better part of the day but it's not a good idea, even with the offset of appropriate air circulation. So yes, some "abnormalities" are the fault of the grower. In my case, I did see the flower when it bloomed in 2012. Last year was when I took over. This is my second chance, so we'll see what happens! And YES, I totally AGREE with you about those "fairs" or buying something bare root/without seeing the flower. I allowed a dealer to send me something when he came to the United States for a show. It arrived bare root and for whatever reason, this wasn't caught by customs (A "crawly" thing came out of it when I unwrapped it) - it didn't look like ANY insect around here.). No more dealing with that person.
    Ok I always believe second chance be patience just put finger cross I wish the next spike it will reward you better form.So interesting isn't it.

  8. #18
    lanhua is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Mietek
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Gastrochilus, Trichoglottis,
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,364
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Aerides quinquevulnera var. calayan, is recently described by Jim Cotes as a autonomous species. That means, the correct name is Aerides calayan.

  9. #19
    chingjervis's Avatar
    chingjervis is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jervis
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph, Ctsm., Crths., Stan.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,708
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Lovely little birdies...especially the scent!

    Kudos to you!

  10. #20
    citywildcat's Avatar
    citywildcat is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    suburban Detroit
    Posts
    209
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thank you for the clarification :-) !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aerides quinquevulnera
    By walingwaling in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
  2. Aerides quinquevulnera
    By zainal abidin in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 9th, 2013, 06:55 PM
  3. Aerides quinquevulnera
    By lanhua in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 1st, 2011, 08:29 AM
  4. Aerides quinquevulnera
    By ntgerald in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
  5. Aerides quinquevulnera
    By ntgerald in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.