Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree32Likes

Pelatantheria insectifera

This is a discussion on Pelatantheria insectifera within the Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; This is a a monopodial orchid with tiny flowers about half an inch in size. ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Pelatantheria insectifera

    This is a a monopodial orchid with tiny flowers about half an inch in size. The whole plant is about 3 inches tall but will keep on growing. My friend, who gave me this plant when it was about 1 1/2 inches tall, has a clump of them, about 2 feet tall. When in full bloom the whole stem is covered with these tiny blooms.If not for the colourful lip, it would be very easy to miss the flowers.On my tiny plant a few more spikes are emerging.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    JDT's Avatar
    JDT
    JDT is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    4,673
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I have never seen this species it is beautiful. What lens did you use for this photo?

  3. #3
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks Jack, for looking in. I used the Tamron SP 90 f 2.8 macro lens and I was testing my new portable lighting set-up with 2 small speedlights on flexible arms attached to the tripod bush of my camera. I'm planning on using this set-up for insect photography.

  4. #4
    JDT's Avatar
    JDT
    JDT is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    4,673
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Thanks Jack, for looking in. I used the Tamron SP 90 f 2.8 macro lens and I was testing my new portable lighting set-up with 2 small speedlights on flexible arms attached to the tripod bush of my camera. I'm planning on using this set-up for insect photography.
    Thanks for the info, I have decided to get a new camera and also a macro lens for my orchid shots. I would love to see those insect photography when you are done.

    You are up late I see, don't you sleep?

  5. #5
    78Terp's Avatar
    78Terp is offline An Avant Gardner
    Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Posts
    6,036
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Beautiful.

    I lost mine.

  6. #6
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have decided to get a new camera and also a macro lens for my orchid shots. I would love to see those insect photography when you are done.

    You are up late I see, don't you sleep?
    I sleep late (1 - 3 am) and wake up late (8 - 9 am) - 'privilege' of of a retired a senior. I was a teacher for 34 years, going to bed before 10 pm and waking up at 6 am - our schools start at 7.30 am and ends at 1.30pm; so I think I've earned the 'privilege' to sleep late and wake up late.When I was a schoolboy the teachers used to tell us ' Early to bed and early to rise makes a man happy, healthy. wealthy and wise'. Since I'm contented and happy - not really wealthy but not in want either, wise enough to enjoy what's left of this earthly existence, and still healthy enough to do the things I like most (albeit at half pace), I think I'll ignore the advice from my teachers.

    Plus the bonus of being able to interact with people, like you Jack, across time zones. BTW I've been watching breaking news on CNN on the San Bernardino shooting since 8 am this morning.

  7. #7
    JDT's Avatar
    JDT
    JDT is online now Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    4,673
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    I sleep late (1 - 3 am) and wake up late (8 - 9 am) - 'privilege' of of a retired a senior. I was a teacher for 34 years, going to bed before 10 pm and waking up at 6 am - our schools start at 7.30 am and ends at 1.30pm; so I think I've earned the 'privilege' to sleep late and wake up late.When I was a schoolboy the teachers used to tell us ' Early to bed and early to rise makes a man happy, healthy. wealthy and wise'. Since I'm contented and happy - not really wealthy but not in want either, wise enough to enjoy what's left of this earthly existence, and still healthy enough to do the things I like most (albeit at half pace), I think I'll ignore the advice from my teachers.

    Plus the bonus of being able to interact with people, like you Jack, across time zones. BTW I've been watching breaking news on CNN on the San Bernardino shooting since 8 am this morning.
    I am the same with my sleep, being retired has its privileges! My mother was a teacher and would always say the same as your teachers did. My joy is in my orchids and coming up with ways to make room for more and spoiling my grandkids when I see them, pay back to my kids for what they put me through while growing up.

    Yes the news has been on since the shootings started, unfortunately it has become very common for this nonsense that has been going on for so very long, it's sad that we have come to us!

  8. #8
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    I am the same with my sleep, being retired has its privileges! My mother was a teacher and would always say the same as your teachers did. My joy is in my orchids and coming up with ways to make room for more and spoiling my grandkids when I see them, pay back to my kids for what they put me through while growing up.

    Yes the news has been on since the shootings started, unfortunately it has become very common for this nonsense that has been going on for so very long, it's sad that we have come to us!
    So true re the violence - our country is not spared either. Recently a Malaysian hostage taken by a terrorist group from the Southern Philippines was beheaded although a ransom of US 2 million had been agreed upon.
    Even our country's leaders have been threatened with kidnap to exchange for their detained members.

    Enough with the depressing news. I spoil my 2 grand daughters silly and am excitedly looking forward to their visit this mid Dec. I am very proud of the eldest who is 17 and is finishing her first year doing chemical engineering in college in Singapore.

  9. #9
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,761
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    This clone is excellent as I got relatively pale pink now in bloomed too, wow I was so excited reading both of you cattan and Jack describing your past experience very informative and interesting thanks for sharing your valuable sweet memories.

  10. #10
    DrWan2015 is offline Member
    Real Name
    Dr. Leslie Ee
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Neofinetias
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    60
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I agree with Zainal. The colors are brighter than mine too. Well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pelatantheria insectifera
    By catttan in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 29th, 2015, 02:49 AM
  2. Pelatantheria rivesii
    By lanhua in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 13th, 2014, 12:10 AM
  3. Pelatantheria insectifera
    By walingwaling in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM
  4. Pelatantheria bicuspidata
    By lanhua in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
  5. Pelatantheria ctenoglossum
    By zainal abidin in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.