Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Paph niveum - 3 clones

This is a discussion on Paph niveum - 3 clones within the Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Hi Folks, Here are 3 clones of Paph niveum....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Paph Yeo is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Paph niveum - 3 clones

    Hi Folks,

    Here are 3 clones of Paph niveum.


  2. #2
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,880
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    All 3 are beautiful. I used to have a few clones of niveum collected (many yeas ago) from from a few locations in my state. I gave them all away but at the moment I still have one variety from the limestone hills near my house.

  3. #3
    Paph Yeo is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    All 3 are beautiful. I used to have a few clones of niveum collected (many yeas ago) from from a few locations in my state. I gave them all away but at the moment I still have one variety from the limestone hills near my house.
    All these were grown from flasks.
    More than 95% of my plants (800 +) are from flasks.

  4. #4
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    12,775
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    It's seem that the twin niveum from Kedah. Very nice.

  5. #5
    Paph Yeo is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    It's seem that the twin niveum from Kedah. Very nice.
    Not too sure if there are from Kedah. There all line bred. These are 3rd to 4th generation of line breeding.

  6. #6
    Brutal_Dreamer's Avatar
    Brutal_Dreamer is offline Dreaming with my eyes open...
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34,003
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Really wonderful white slippers.

    Cheers,
    BD

  7. #7
    Paph Yeo is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    Really wonderful white slippers.

    Cheers,
    BD
    Tks.

  8. #8
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,880
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I don't know if these niveums were bred from those originating from Kedah but I used to have a clone from the Baling Hill with beautiful round shape and almost no spots if grown under heavy shade. I think the person I gave the plant to, still has it and the last time I saw him, had promised to give me back a division of same.

    The clone I still have comes from the hills around Kodiang, Kedah. I had 2 varieties from Kodiang one with the underside of the leaves purplish in colour and the other one with the underside of the leaves a light green colour(the one I still have) - the former with larger flowers that are elongated laterally; and the latter with flowers almost similar to yours.

  9. #9
    Paph Yeo is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    I don't know if these niveums were bred from those originating from Kedah but I used to have a clone from the Baling Hill with beautiful round shape and almost no spots if grown under heavy shade. I think the person I gave the plant to, still has it and the last time I saw him, had promised to give me back a division of same.

    The clone I still have comes from the hills around Kodiang, Kedah. I had 2 varieties from Kodiang one with the underside of the leaves purplish in colour and the other one with the underside of the leaves a light green colour(the one I still have) - the former with larger flowers that are elongated laterally; and the latter with flowers almost similar to yours.
    It could be as the distribution of niveum stretches from Northern Malaysia to Southern Thailand.
    Their leaves are generally mottled very dark to pale green above, heavily dotted dotted purple below.
    Flowers normally are between 5 to 8 cm across.

  10. #10
    ManilaByNight's Avatar
    ManilaByNight is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,067
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paph Yeo View Post
    All these were grown from flasks.
    More than 95% of my plants (800 +) are from flasks.
    Wow! 800+ plants! That is sure a huge collection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paph. niveum cross
    By orcoholic in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 15th, 2009, 02:11 AM
  2. Paph niveum and painting
    By smartie2000 in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM
  3. Paph. niveum
    By Chian in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 8th, 2005, 07:26 PM
  4. Paph Niveum
    By TADD in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 5th, 2004, 06:27 PM
  5. paph niveum
    By sgratrix in forum Photography Archive 1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 26th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.