Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Like Tree30Likes

Paph stonei in bloom.

This is a discussion on Paph stonei in bloom. within the Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Beautiful!...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    cdayinflorida's Avatar
    cdayinflorida is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Riverview, Florida
    Posts
    5,701
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Beautiful!

  2. #12
    Pindar's Avatar
    Pindar is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Eltham, London. England
    Posts
    484
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Don't know what happened there! Sorry. Lovely, that stonei.

  3. #13
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Gorgeous stonei, Yew! Two blooms in a year, as well - I AM jealous! The multiflorals really diminish Maudiaes with their majestic stature - my P. Bel Royal was a showstopper. Maudiaes, in contrast, require a little of the discernment that mini-growers exhibit. They are also, of course, apt to be serious "mutts". I've grown so many Maudiaes now that I frequently skip posting the disappointing ones, which I think is a mistake. It's every bit as fascinating and useful to discuss those characteristics that we find a little less than compelling as it is to extoll the virtues of those clearly superior. Aside from the pouch, which I agree is not its strongest point, your vini is a beautiful color, and the dorsal shape is quite large and very nice. No doubt under your care, its next time around will be exciting.

    If I may make one tiny observation (I almost can't do this, because the photos are truly stunning), I would have removed the bright green staking twine on the stone before the photo. I have looked all over the place and have located a few brown clips, but I often resort to cloning out the clasps or twine in the final photo.


    All in all, I'm still suffering from that green-eyed monster. Stellar!

  4. #14
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Oh, also - I just noted in the reading section a magazine that I received a short time ago with magnificant paph photos!

  5. #15
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post

    If I may make one tiny observation (I almost can't do this, because the photos are truly stunning), I would have removed the bright green staking twine on the stone before the photo. I have looked all over the place and have located a few brown clips, but I often resort to cloning out the clasps or twine in the final photo.


    .
    Thanks Maura for your comments. You know I value your opinion on things orchid and photographic. Next time I'll try to leave out/clone out the 'undesirables' - yes. I agree they do detract from the aesthetics of the picture.
    My eldest son was home rom Hong Kong the whole of last week on his annual leave but we only managed a half day photo/nature outing as he and his girlfriend and my wife were all down with a bad bout of flu. I just had a slight blocked nose.
    While home he installed a new photo edit app the 'Pixelmator', the Mac users' alternative to Photoshop. It's supposed to be much simpler to use and also more intuitive than PS and costs a fraction of PS at $29.99 ( intro price). So hopefully I'll be able to learn some new things and apply to my pictures . Just hope this old dog can learn a few new tricks. hehehehe

  6. #16
    mauraec's Avatar
    mauraec is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Maura Caffrey
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    3,092
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    Thanks Maura for your comments. You know I value your opinion on things orchid and photographic. Next time I'll try to leave out/clone out the 'undesirables' - yes. I agree they do detract from the aesthetics of the picture.
    My eldest son was home rom Hong Kong the whole of last week on his annual leave but we only managed a half day photo/nature outing as he and his girlfriend and my wife were all down with a bad bout of flu. I just had a slight blocked nose.
    While home he installed a new photo edit app the 'Pixelmator', the Mac users' alternative to Photoshop. It's supposed to be much simpler to use and also more intuitive than PS and costs a fraction of PS at $29.99 ( intro price). So hopefully I'll be able to learn some new things and apply to my pictures . Just hope this old dog can learn a few new tricks. hehehehe
    I am sorry to hear of your truncated vacation with your son. Did you get any good shots? Are you still using the D200? I'm over-the-rainbow about my D300 - much better color resolution. Anyway, I've never heard of 'Pixelmator' - I use Aperture 3 - is this a new program? I have no doubt you'll have a whole slate of new tricks in no time. By the way, the more "perfect" a photo is, the more even the slightest imperfection will jump out at me - bad photos have too much going on for me to say anything but "beautiful bloom" or such.

  7. #17
    catttan's Avatar
    catttan is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kedah, Peninsular Malaysia
    Posts
    15,877
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauraec View Post
    I am sorry to hear of your truncated vacation with your son. Did you get any good shots? Are you still using the D200? I'm over-the-rainbow about my D300 - much better color resolution. Anyway, I've never heard of 'Pixelmator' - I use Aperture 3 - is this a new program? I have no doubt you'll have a whole slate of new tricks in no time. By the way, the more "perfect" a photo is, the more even the slightest imperfection will jump out at me - bad photos have too much going on for me to say anything but "beautiful bloom" or such.
    Thanks Maura. Still feeling my way around Pixelmator. Actually Pixelmator has been around for some time. This Pixelmator 2 has recently been updated and thus the special offer of $29.99. Pixelmator has been specially developed for use only on Mac as a substitute for Photoshop.
    Didn't take any pictures worth mentioning. Yes I'm still using the D200 as I can't afford to upgrade. Your recent shots with the D300 are impressive !

  8. #18
    Halloamey's Avatar
    Halloamey is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    5,363
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    A gorgeous stonei Yew !!

  9. #19
    Orkala's Avatar
    Orkala is offline Senior Member
    Real Name
    Blanca
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    136
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Beautiful photographic. They appear to be floating above the plant

  10. #20
    rudimasara is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13

    Default

    What is the medium you using for this species? limestone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paph spicerianum Paph stonei, Paph niveum and other slipper orchids
    By paphioboy in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 10th, 2011, 04:05 AM
  2. Paph stonei in bloom
    By catttan in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
  3. Paph Mt. Toro (stonei 'Jean' x philippinense 'Aureum'
    By Brutal_Dreamer in forum **NOT IN BLOOM** All Genera
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
  4. Paph. stonei 'Crystelle' AM/AOS
    By lienluu in forum Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Cypripedium IN BLOOM
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
  5. Paph stonei
    By LJA in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.