I did it! I divided this huge guy. I was planning on dividing him into two pots, but it ended up in three. There were so many bulbs and new growths and the way it seemed to want to split ended up being three.
I now have three five inch pots.
1. 4 bulbs, 2 new growths
2. 4 bulbs, 2 new growths, possibly a third coming in.
3. 3 bulbs, 1 new growth.
This was all in a deep 4" plastic post. There was very little media in it. The bulk of it was root mass. Only ~25% was bark and charcoal. I think this guy has been in this pot for a very long time. I can see now why it looked a little dehydrated. I was soaking it once a week, but probably could have done it twice a week with as little bark as there was.
Time will tell as to how I did with the process. But they all seemed very healthy. I did soak the roots in some KelpMax as I cleaned the other sections. Hopefully that will help them work on putting out new roots.
The roots were all very happy and it almost seemed like it told me where to divide it.
I didn't take pictures of the process. It took me longer than I thought it would, but I got it done!