Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Informal pic talk...

This is a discussion on Informal pic talk... within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; lja, I also like to remove any stakes, unsightly leaves, blooms and make sure the ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Paphraguy is offline Former User

lja,

I also like to remove any stakes, unsightly leaves, blooms and make sure the plant is nice and clean before I take any pictures.

Some people like to leave the stakes on for the pictures but I find that very unattractive and unnatural as well. It's just a personal preference, I guess.

LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I totally agree with you: leaving stakes in and yellowing leaves attached is unsightly (and certainly makes for a poor "sales pitch").

But sometimes I feel caught on the horns of a dillema. I think it's important that people who are relatively new to growing realize that leaf loss is part of orchids, and nothing to freak out about when it happens. When people question that, I always refer them to the award-winning plants in the AOS ORCHIDS magazine, many of which, if you look past the gorgeous blooms, have a brown leaf or two at their bases.

As far as the stakes are concerned, you're right: nothing could look more unnatural. Plants with two spikes that are rigidly staked look they're wearing some kind of TV antenna. It's unfortunate, but since many of the plants we have are epiphytes which are accustomed to hanging down from the trees, without staking, their blooms become so heavy that the weight of them will break their own spikes. So we have to ship them (and photograph them) staked to avoid breakage and damage.

Where I can though, for the pics I post in this section, I'll remove the stakes, especially for semi-terrestrial things like slippers....

(I *am* going for the Glamshot, after all!!)

I do stake my plant spikes ONLY when I'm moving them to a different place for photography or whatever so that they won't break under their own weight and the movement from the transportation. I then remove them for the pictures.

Yes, I know how people freak out when they see the older leaves on their plants start to yellow and shrivel and then fall off. It is all a natural process for the plants.

LJA
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Well, the wallyworld didn't have any velvet (won't be getting any in till winter, apparently...) so I got some other kind of matte black fabric which should at least look better than the stuff I've been using. I'm going to take some more pics tomorrow afternoon and, if they turn out well enough, I'll post them.

Peter, how did you get that slanted light effect on your lindenii photo?

The light effect was sunlight streaming in through a window. Quite a few people have asked me that question and some even tried to guess how I did it and most guesses were wrong. It is quite simple, try it.

LJA
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Sunlight streaming in and hitting your backdrop? Wow. So do you put your plant directly in the sun coming in, or is it off a little?

I actually try both in the sunlight and a little off in the "shade" and pick whichever I find more appealing to my eyes.

I can't wait to see your pics. Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12