Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need your help again!

This is a discussion on Need your help again! within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Oh gee, I didn't know that! I go nuts with the cinnamon and use it ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    momokev is offline Senior Member

Oh gee, I didn't know that! I go nuts with the cinnamon and use it on everything. Thanks for telling me.

Lisa

LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Lisa, those pseudobulbs you said you were concerned about? If they're soft in that dark spot, they're rotting. You need to cut those off *immediately* before that spreads to the rest of the plant and kills it. After cutting, use fungicide on everything liberally. (If you're using cinammon, like Jason said, don't use it on roots...)

Okay, it's done, Louis. I doubt the titanic will make it, but the other one is putting out new roots. Where there's roots, there's hope! At least they look better with the yellowed leaves, ect gone.

Lisa

Gilda is offline "Master of the Moth and Phrags "
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Lisa,
    I think a lot of your problems came from them being who knows where for all that time in a box, in all this hot weather ,no air,etc. etc.

Plus you got really pitiful divisions....the top picture was the only good one you got. Some it looked like only had 2 psuedobulbs. 3-5 leafed is a good division. I don't consider a leafless backbulb when dividing......

Do they get sun where you have them? They are low light growers, and I thought the brown on the bulbs looked like it might be sunburn..but if it is soft like lja said it is rot....

I would have put them in smaller pots....it means more frequent watering due to sooner drying out but lessens the chances of the roots staying too wet. I always use rooting hormone when repotting..take a cheap paint brush and dust the cleaned areas.

Good Luck!!!

Hi Gilda,

I agree with you, the commute did them in! I'd never thought of Canada as a "foreign country" and it never occured to me it would take them so long. I've learned a lesson!

They were in an east facing bathroom, about 2 feet from the window, on my tub (wire shelving laid across the top), so I doubt sunburn. I repotted in a 3 1/2 inch clay rose pot with the bottom hole drilled bigger and peanuts. I put root tone on them both and said my prayers!

Lisa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12