Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need your help again!

This is a discussion on Need your help again! within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Okay, I admit this wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but I bought some ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    momokev is offline Senior Member

Default Need your help again!

Okay, I admit this wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but I bought some orchids off of ebay. I saw these beautiful pictures of zygo's since I'd always wanted to try them, I went ahead and bid on them. They were in Canada, and I wasn't really thinking about CITIES or any problems getting them. Yes, yes, stupid, I know! It took them 8 days in the hands of the USPS to arrive. I'd never had plants take longer than two days before, and have only mail ordered a hand full of times (I prefer to shop in person). My experences had all been positive until this time. They arrived about 2 weeks ago with the leaves folded in half. They were packaged this way, not damaged in shipping as far as I could tell. They were so sad, even my husband noticed! So I soaked their bare roots and potted them and have watched them circle the drain. I feel so helpless! The roots weren't great, I trimmed and cinnamoned them. Are they beyond hope?

First pic is Zygo Arthur Elli Blue Lip

Lisa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another view of Authur Elli

Arthur Elli....

Zygo Titanic. The yellow leaves have already fallen off of this one, but the pb has me concerned....

Last pic, this is titanic as well. Thanks for your help guys!

Lisa

Heather is offline Banned

Lisa - I'm not the one to comment as I am not familiar with these plants. However, I have an unwell dend. w/ leaves that look like this. Mine was the sacrificial outdoor lamb, as it already had issues, but on top of fungus, I think it was also heat/sunburnt. The leaves looked a lot like your cream/brown leaves (before they fell off!) So, bottom line I'm not sure, but thought I'd share anyway. Maybe someone can help you more!! Best of luck! Ebay is tricky. I've had good luck with one vendor in particular, but have heard of many having problems. FYI. My dead sac. dend was a TJ's deal.

I've had mine inside, in my east facing bathroom, probably 2 feet back from the window. I really don't suspect sunburn. Thanks for trying to help Heather!

Lisa

Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I don't know the first thing about zygos, but I'm sure others do. I think, though, that you need to tell that seller that the condition of the plant is unacceptable and let him work out a solution. Otherwise, there are various avenues to pursue to let others know about this seller. (I've bought off ebay a few times before--mostly good, but there are quite a few bad apples out there).

Hi Jason,

I did email the seller and sent pictures. I haven't heard from her. I filed a complaint with ebay and haven't heard from that either. I'll keep trying! But I so hate to see an orchid die....

Lisa

Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I just re-read and saw that you used cinnamon on the roots. Cinnamon is a good fungicide, but it is also a root-inhibitor. Better to use it on cut surfaces of leaves & bulbs and keep it away from roots. When I deal with rotten roots, I just pull off the bad ones and pot up. If it's really ugly, I'll let them air dry before repotting. Then I'll water with some hormone solution (super-thrive or KLN). If you see pseudobulbs that are clearly rotting and spreading, then try to get rid of them, even if it means repotting again. Dust the cut edges with cinnamon but keep the roots clear of it as best you can.

In ebay disputes, I notice that some of the crappy sellers will avoid leaving feedback until the customer leaves positive comments. However, it is also my belief that a customer has nothing to lose with a bad retaliatory feedback, while the seller is the one who should be concerned with an incisive comment. Just my personal thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast