Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My "new to me" plants

This is a discussion on My "new to me" plants within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; are those aircones the "translucent" whitish type, or the real clear type that is, well, ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

are those aircones the "translucent" whitish type, or the real clear type that is, well, perfectly clear?

Heather is offline Banned

The translucent whitish types. I can see pretty well into them though. I like to check on whether the roots are covered enough. I had real trouble w/ my noid Paph repotting because the pot wasn't that much bigger and if I'd had a brown or green pot I wouldn't have known that I needed to pull it back out and try again.

Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

yes, they're good for finding "air pockets" during repotting that the media hasn't settled into yet.

I really love the clear pots because, with the exception of the middle of the pot, I can see all the roots and any new root growth. I got a bunch of non-aircone clear pots from Chula in CA. The downside is some algae, but I still like seeing roots.

LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Hope it is ok I posted all that about another vendor, Lja!
    No problem at all, H.

Here's my take on that, in case anyone's interested.

There are about a gazillion orchid vendors out there. Some are really good and reputable, others, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole because they're just out to rip people off. I have no problem whatsoever when other vendors are mentioned or discussed as long as their mention arose as a natural part of the conversation. I also have no problem if a thread is started with the express intent of discussing another vendor. That's just going to come up, and I think censorship is a very bad policy.

What I will have a problem with are posts made by someone with no other agenda than to propagandize another *competitive* vendor, posts like, "You guys should really buy from XYZ. They're a helluva lot better than *this* place." Unless statements like that are legitimate gripes I can respond to, I'm going to treat such messages as advertising spam, and after a first warning to that person, I'm just going to delete those messages: they violate the terms of use that member agreed to when he or she registered. There have been plenty of messages saying things like, "Hey, XYZ orchids are having a sale on their so-and-so, should I go for it? What do you think?" and I've certainly left those messages and their responses as they are.

Messages I will categorically delete without regard are any posts made by vendors, their affiliates, or representatives advertising that vendor's products in the "Trading Post" forum. That forum is reserved for hobbyists, amateurs, and *us,* without exception.

So while it certainly stings a little when someone goes all rapturous over another vendor (maybe because I wish all that rapture was being centered around our *own* stuff ), I'm certainly not so naive or conceited that I expect everyone to treat us as if we're the only orchid grower in existence, just because we happen to have this forum on our website.

And that's how I feel about *that*. If anyone disagrees or has feelings about this one way or the other, I'm certainly open to talking about it.

Thanks Louis, I am glad you posted all that and think it all sounds very fair.

One of the reason's I thought it might be okay to answer Traci publicly was that these people only sell supplies, no plants. However, I know you sell supplies also and should have considered that more when I initially posted. Occasionally I open my mouth and without thinking too hard, stuff comes out that I should have been a little more subtle about.

~H

LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Heather, it was really no problem. We haven't sold supplies over the web (it's something I'm considering doing, but we haven't so far) so, in my book anyway, those guys aren't competition. Besides, you've posted a lot on here about all kinds of different things, and your message was a natural part of the conversation. So even if we *did* sell supplies over the web, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

Frankly, it's a risky thing having a forum on your site if you're a vendor in competition with other vendors. I mean, who knows what people are going to say! I decided to go ahead because I thought a forum would be a valuable asset. But unless people are allowed to speak their minds, I don't think there's any point in having a forum in the first place. I mean, honestly, if the rules were, "If you talk about vendors you can only talk about River Valley Orchidworks, and when you talk about River Valley Orchidworks, you can only talk nicey-nice," that wouldn't be much of a forum!

That said though, there sure as heck is no way I'm going to spend money on bandwidth just so other vendors can get free airplay on my nickel, especially if that's the only reason a post is being made.

Default Pete - SB pic for you...

Thought you might be interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Weird! Why did that attachment work and the others just linked?? Hmmm....

Paphraguy is offline Former User

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Weird! Why did that attachment work and the others just linked?? Hmmm....
    Isn't that strange? Heather, you should straigten that spike up with a stake. It looks bent from the packaging.

'K, will do. I see why you think it looks bent, just FYI it isn't just curved, but I will stake tonight when I get home. Figured out the imaging issue!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast