Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Encyclia tampensis

This is a discussion on Encyclia tampensis within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; Encyclia tampensis is a species native to the southern half of peninsular Florida and parts ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    prem is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Altamonte Springs (north Orlando area), FL
    Member's Country Flag

Default Encyclia tampensis

Encyclia tampensis is a species native to the southern half of peninsular Florida and parts of the Bahamas. Originally discovered near Tampa Bay, this orchid's specific name means "from Tampa". It obviously possesses some cold-hardiness, tolerating temperatures below freezing for a few hours (however, cold spells in Florida in recent years have reduced the range of this species from what had once been observed).

Just-mature plants are not terribly big, but as Stewart's "monster" can attest to, they can become impressive specimens over time. These epiphytes inhabit several host species, including live oaks and bald cypress, where their small onion-shaped bulbs give rise to one (sometimes two) long, grasslike leaf/leaves. Blooming usually happens in May through July, with panicles of fragrant flowers. Known as the "Florida Butterfly Orchid", this is a favorite in cultivation and, more recently, in hybridization.

The typical flower color form consists of green sepals and petals tinged with red with a white three-lobed lip bearing a prominent magenta blotch. The flowers are usually between 1 and 1.5 inches in diameter:

Of course, perhaps the most famous of the "tampies" is the AM awarded 'Mendenhall' which is an albo-labia variety:

It is unfortunate that this latter form is probably the most widely offered variety of Enc. tampensis, as opposed to the colorful variety, which I personally find much more attractive.

Variation in flower form, color, and fragrance quality can be seen throughout their range, representing possible introduction of genes from other species of Encyclia (such as Enc. phoenicea and Enc. plicata) common to the Bahamas. These less cold-hardy species likely colonized a niche in Florida for awhile, surviving long enough to contribute some genes to the indigenous gene pool before the next big frost killed them off. Or, conversely, parent plants from the Bahamas carried a variety of these genes which then became expressed in various degrees throughout the eons.

Special thanks to Mike Clark (Clark or ClarkM on various orchid forums) for the loan of his plant to photograph (none of mine spiked this year) and the division of his blooming 'Mendenhall'.

---Prem

PAGrower is offline Senior Member

...this orchid's specific name means "from Tampa".
    I was wondering about that. Thanks for continuing to share photos and info about some of the more unusual orchids.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Member's Country Flag

anytime you see the ending "-ensis" or "-ense" (the ending depends on the "gender" of the generic name) on a species name, it means that species originated from that location. "belizensis" means "from Belize", "guatemalensis" means "from Guatemala", "carthagenense" means "from Cartagena", "sinensis" means "from China", etc. etc.

---Prem

Heather is offline Banned

Interesting....and makes *s*-ense!
    Pretty variation in colors.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Member's Country Flag

just for trivia, Encyclia tampensis used to be classified as an Epidendrum many, many years ago. Because the generic name ended in '-um', the specific name was "tampense", i.e. Epidendrum tampense. When it was moved to Encyclia, the '-e' on the end became an '-is'. Many growers still find this confusing and you'll see this species listed often as Encyclia tampense or rarely as Epidendrum tampensis, which makes Googling for the name a bit more involved.

Now, for real kicks, Epidendrum cochleatum has been reassigned four times now...to Encyclia cochleata, then to Anacheilium cochleatum, then to Prosthechea cochleata, and now Withner wants to put it back in Anacheilium...so that's a change from '-um' to '-a' to '-um' to '-a', and now to '-um' again.

---Prem

LJA
    LJA is offline OrchidTalk Tech Admin
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Prem, thanks for sharing that. I have to say, the depth of your orchid knowledge is impressive. I'm learning quite a lot from your posts.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrophylax
    Member's Country Flag

Smile

well, you're quite welcome...glad I could help be educational.

---Prem

Gilda is offline "Master of the Moth and Phrags "
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Prem, your photos are lovely as always, and really makes tampensis look big and beautiful....I must have had the "latter' form cause it was very plain ...so plain that it found a new home