Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Phrag. Grande 4N 'Gigantea' X Phrag wallisii

This is a discussion on Phrag. Grande 4N 'Gigantea' X Phrag wallisii within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; There is some inherent variation in the progeny of the same seed pod, and I ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

There is some inherent variation in the progeny of the same seed pod, and I suppose it is dependent on no fewer than a million factors...but I will single out genetic variability and culture. Since both Grande and wallisii are long-petalled, maybe 12-15" in the former and 17-24" in the latter, it's not as variable as say, Paph. philippinense & sanderianum, which might average 4-7" and 20-36", respectively. That's why there are Michael Koopowitzes with 12-14" petals, and at least one with 20"+ petals (which got an FCC maybe 4-5 years ago). I would imagine that the cluster of petal lengths in the Grande x wallisii would be significantly smaller.

That said, I think culture may play a very great role--case in point, I had two growths bloom simultaneously on this Nitidissimum, a mature growth and a precocious new one that is less than 1/2 the size of the mature one. The mature growth produced 2 flowers with 12" petals (which is on par with the clone when it was awarded), while the small growth gave one flower that is 10" at best. I am certain that this same clone when grown into a huge specimen plant will produce significantly larger flowers.

After all that rambling, can you tell that I'm bored out of my mind?

JOHNnDC is offline Senior Member

Jason, if you're bored, then maybe you can answer my question that I've been posting repeatedly, to no avail.

I have the same Grande x Wallisii cross and am wondering about culture - watering, sunlight, etc., as I'd read that wallisii likes it a tad drier than grandes.

Also, my plant, that I just got recently, is starting to get a bit leathery at the bend in the leaves, I think I may have given it too much sun too soon, yes?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I would still give it bright light and moist conditions. Like I posted earlier, I think the shot of longifolium within the Grande parent is enough to make the plant grow wet like most other phrags. It's just the pure wallisii that prefers drier. That said, there may be clones that are more temperamental, but I would start with standard phrag culture.

Not sure what you mean by leathery (a picture would help)--the leaves on this hybrid will bend unlike the species wallisii, which remains erect for the most part. If the leaf is medium to dark green, I'd leave it be. If sunburnt or yellowish-green, then that's probably too much light.

JOHNnDC is offline Senior Member

Thanks Jason. That helps a lot. You got me wondering though, light-wise, about my phrag wossner super grande. I've been giving it very strong light, and the leaves are definitely very yellow-ish green - is that too much light?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I think it's up to the grower what to do about yellowish-green leaves. It's a sign of high light, but if there's no sunburn, then it's not *too* high. Long-petalled phrags given this kind of light will probably bloom a little sooner than those given lower light, and the high light will keep the plants more compact. Then again, if you were to give it slightly lower light, enough to make the leaves a more medium green, the plants would probably still bloom about as quickly and would look better (I'm going by the assumption that dark green is a more popular foliage color than yellow-green). So it's really an individual choice...I usually aim for medium green, but sometimes I get lazy and don't feel like moving plants around...

When they bloom, it pays to move them to lower light for better flower longevity.

Heather is offline Banned

WOW!!!
    Thanks for *all* that info! Very helpful! For all of my plants.

You know, several of my paphs came w/ very light yellow-green leaves. I think that is kind of interesting. St. Swithin and haynaldianum come to mind...

It was really interesting visiting an actual "orchid grower's greenhouse" yesterday. I'll post more about it later when I can put up some pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Paphraguy
    U should get a walisii next!
    Well, I still have a few issues w/ wallisii, but I'll tell you - this is one nice combination! I am in total adoration this morning...keep staring...
    I just *love* the spots inside the pouch. I tried to take a pic, but that did not work very well! LOL!

Paphraguy is offline Former User

Yes, long petalled Phrag species require very bright light even direct morning or late afternoon sunlight to grow and bloom to their full potential. As a matter of fact, some long petalled Phrag species in nature grow in full sunlight and all their leaves appear almost yellow.

Default pics of my Penn's Creek Cascade

Ok, too dark yesterday afternoon but at least you'll get an idea!
    Leafspan is 28+ inches, petal length so far is 8.5". Petals are starting to twist more today also.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Paphraguy is offline Former User

Your Penn is beautiful! And yes I can definitely see both the parents, Grande and wallisii in that plant. The shape and color of the pouch is very much wallisii and the petal color to me looks like from the Grande parent. Good choice! How did you drive it home with such a long spike in bloom?

Is that your new rainwater bucket?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast