Shop Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Weather Station Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My New Paph

This is a discussion on My New Paph within the Photography Archive 1 forums, part of the Orchid Photography category; I traded my Renethera Monachica and got a very nice Paph Silmaril (oriental mystique x ...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    OrchidTraci is offline Senior Member

Default My New Paph

I traded my Renethera Monachica and got a very nice Paph Silmaril
    (oriental mystique x Alma Gavaert) Isn't it pretty!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heather is offline Banned

Very pretty Traci! I do love the foliage on those maudiae types. Mine is still pretty wee but I am looking forward to seeing it bloom! Your's will be green, right? I tried to find a bloom pic to no avail...just parents. Congrats on your new baby!

Paphraguy is offline Former User

Pretty mottled leaves, very reptilian looking!

Jmoney is offline Senior Member
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Looks like a true vini, based on the leaf pigmentation. It's funny when people name paphs after color. (Or maybe it's these people who are funny.) Paph. Onyx comes in very dark vini forms and the so-called "alba" (green & white). Paph. Black Diamond is very very pink.

Not to nitpick, but just an FYI: the correct name is Paph. Silmaril, registered by Terry Root of the OZ. He has an apparent fascination with Lord of the Rings and associated Tolkien works, and of course the tree frog collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    Looks like a true vini, based on the leaf pigmentation. It's funny when people name paphs after color. (Or maybe it's these people who are funny.) Paph. Onyx comes in very dark vini forms and the so-called "alba" (green & white). Paph. Black Diamond is very very pink.

Not to nitpick, but just an FYI: the correct name is Paph. Silmaril, registered by Terry Root of the OZ. He has an apparent fascination with Lord of the Rings and associated Tolkien works, and of course the tree frog collection.
    That is a cool fact, and I was just about to tell Heather that I left the L off the ending. No wonder she couldn't find a photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Very pretty Traci! I do love the foliage on those maudiae types. Mine is still pretty wee but I am looking forward to seeing it bloom! Your's will be green, right? I tried to find a bloom pic to no avail...just parents. Congrats on your new baby!
    I spelled it incorrectly, leaving off the all important L at the end. Do a google for Paph Silmaril. It brings up only 2 photos, mine will be likw the one on the left.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

judging from those leaves, the color will be more similar to this:

vinicolor

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    judging from those leaves, the color will be more similar to this:

vinicolor
    That would be cool, how can you tell from the leaf color? Wes (the guy I traded with) couldn't remember the color of the past bloom (has many paphs ). I think no matter what color it is, I'll like it. I only have 1 paph, so this will compliment it well no matter what color.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

a big swatch of dark purple at the base of mottled-leaf paphs is the best indicator of vinicolorism (not parents, since crossing two vinis only produces a percentage of vinis in the offspring). there is a tight linkage between leaf base and flower color. only 1-3% of plants will not follow this rule, i.e. a dark leaf base producing a normal colored flower, or a green leaf base producing a vini.

certain species will have varying degrees of red inherently (i.e. wolterianum, charlesworthii), but for your standard mottled-leaf hybrids, the leaf base is the best indicator. that's why people often charge more for dark leaf bases.

and at any given time on ebay, you can always find sellers who post pictures of the darkest of vinis...and then the actual plant has zero red at the leaf base. that's one good sign to avoid that seller.

Heather is offline Banned

Ahh...of course! As in Silmarillion! Still not gotten thru that one!

He responsible for that Milt.(?) Shelob too??? Maybe it was a Brassia - should'a been...imo...

Ok so I don't get why both parents look greenish but the base of this one of OT's is red like a vini would be?

The leaves (not the base) look like my maudiae coloratum very much, and different mottleing than my other mottled leaves. (2 others, noid paph and that Antec one I just sold.) My maud. is much more interesting in the mottled pattern and very similar to Traci's leaves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast