Check out this post for some help with your questions too:
Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums
The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!
OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"
Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.
Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.
This is a discussion on Suggestion for building a greenhouse? within the Semi Hydro / Lights / Greenhouses / Accessories forums, part of the Orchid Culture category; I am thinking about building a greenhouse in back yard, maybe about 10'x16'. I would ...
I am thinking about building a greenhouse in back yard, maybe about 10'x16'. I would like to hear from you guys the "must-have" as well as "to-avoid" lists. Here are some things I have notes on:
1. Better to have 16' side facing south;
2. Enough height to better regulate the temp; I am also thinking about asking the contractor to see if I can have walls removable during the summer;
3. Automatic ceiling vents if case the sun heats up the greenhouse in winter;
4. Automatic watering system so I can be freed to travel, or simply too busy to take care the orchids for a couple of weeks;
5. What else? I hope to have it done before Nov. so my orchids can have a better winter this year.
After reseaching online and calling people, I finally have a vision of my greenhouse. Sadly, this energy is all wasted. I called HOA to see if I could submit the application for their approval, the lady on the phone was nice, but she informed me that the greenhouse had to be less than 100 SQFT, no more than 8' high, and has to 5' FT away from fences. Since my yard is small, only greenhouse I can have would be small and I am afraid it will be too hot coming in summer.
So I am changing direction and looking into a 8'x8' portable greenhouse instead. I can stuff orchids in during winter only, and continue grown them outside in summer. Anybody has experience with portable greenhouse?