Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Orchid Water Culture!!!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by empiref View Post

1. If a phal is moved from S/H to full water culture; what will happen to the roots? (I am referring to the roots that were already established in S/H)
    I've never grown in FWC, but "submerged" and "surrounded by constantly moist medium" are quite different, so I'd expect some need for root replacement.

2. will it harm the plant if it is sitting in a diluted solution of fertilizer, again only 1/4 to 1/3 of the roots are fully submerged in the water.
    Once the roots are "right" for the culture, it should be no problem, as the velamen will wick the solution.

3. when a rootless phal starts developing new roots in FWC, should the water levels be dropped as the roots grow? (following the rule of 1/4 or 1/3 of the root mass to be submerged in water)
    Can't help with that one.

4. Is it better to introduce algae into the medium?
    Don't bother. It'll happen.

Real Name
    Johnny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegal View Post
    I am about 9 months into water culture. I have never tried S/H so I don't know about that but I think there wouldn't be any more problem than going from media to water culture - it might be easier even.

I don't let the roots sit in fertilized water partly because it causes overgrowths of algae. About once a month I will fill the jar with very dilute fertilizer and let the entire length of the roots soak for a few hours or overnight. Then I rinse off the roots with rain water and put them back in rain water. As the new roots grow you let them grow into the water. They will adjust to being submerged in water as the tip grows.

Algae shows up after a while especially if the roots are getting a lot of sun and sometimes I get lazy and let it build up. When it gets thick and starts to smell I clean everything spray the roots with hydrogen peroxide then put them back in clean water. Algae won't hurt but it seems that bacteria starts to colonize the algae and without fresh water always flushing the roots I think it could get bad. In fact, if I kind of ignore one of them, it's an encyclia, I sometimes find gray fungi threads all over the roots. It never seems to hurt anything but I don't think it is a good thing.

This is just where I am right now with it. It's all an experiment that - so far - has been much more successful than my experiences with using media. I judge by how the plant is doing overall. If it is starting to look dehydrated then I add more water or do more overnight soaks. Some phals have very long roots. If you only have 1/4 of the roots in water the upper parts of the roots start to look too dehydrated. I soak those with a full jar of water overnight more often to keep the roots looking fat and healthy.

Catt types I now soak for two days then leave dry for 5 days. Some of them seem to like a little water all of the time, others get unhappy looking root tips if they can't dry out completely between soaks. Most of the time I leave a little water in the bottom for Dens, and a few got a slight winter dry period. I judge what they need by the look of the roots.
    Thank you Karin for your help!

---------- Post Merged at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    I've never grown in FWC, but "submerged" and "surrounded by constantly moist medium" are quite different, so I'd expect some need for root replacement.

Once the roots are "right" for the culture, it should be no problem, as the velamen will wick the solution.

Can't help with that one.

Don't bother. It'll happen.

Thank you Ray for you help on all orchid forums, you always offer great advice.

actually for my phals that have suffered root loss and transferred from S/H to FWC, I only have about 1/4 th of the root mass in water, approximately the same amount of roots that grew into the reservoir while they were in the S/H setup. Hopefully the transition would be smoother than the ones being moved from bark to FWC.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Wow, very interesting. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising really. They do grow in the tropics and the tropics do often have lots of rainfall.

Real Name
    Pam
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Starting with Phals
    Member's Country Flag

I am new to growing orchids. Can phals in FWC be summered outside or should they be put in moss. I live in Southern California, San Diego County.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Summered outside yes but Phals cant take full sun. Ideal to grow them in bright light but not direct

Real Name
    Larry
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

Hi all. I'm new to OrchidTalk but I've always enjoyed reading info on your various subjects. I have a small greenhouse and have fun trying new things to improve my growing. I currently have a Phal. purchra species which I purchased several years ago as a small plant which continues to send out flower spikes but end up with NO flowers just more kikis or small plantlets. I am planning to try water culture with this small plant that has a beautiful root system so wish me luck. Again I really enjoyed all of your comments on orchid water culture.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Welcome from Ontario, Canada! Use his link to introduce yourself http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...duce-yourself/