Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Low light growing species

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Default Low light growing species

I have very limited space (I live in one room of a Care Home) and most of my spare displaying area doesn't receive any natural day light. I have just one large South facing window devoted to Vanda's and no other windows at all... My partial light area's are taken up by Paphs and cold-loving Masdevallia's… Are there any species of Orchid that will grow & flower in permanent shade and will not grow too large? I have ample fans & humidifiers at my disposal but very little light!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

The smaller growing Aerangis might suit you, if you can find them.there is a nursery in Italy which did list a lot - but buy before Brexit !

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    The smaller growing Aerangis might suit you, if you can find them.there is a nursery in Italy which did list a lot - but buy before Brexit !
    Thank you Geoff. I'll let you know if I have managed to track one down. Oh, and when is Brexit? lol.

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

That online auction site has lots in the USA, don't know what you might see over there.
    BTW...Brexit will NEVER happen IMHO.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    That online auction site has lots in the USA, don't know what you might see over there.
    BTW...Brexit will NEVER happen IMHO.
    Thanks for that. I'll do some searching over the weekend... I don't think Brexit will happen either. Our government is in such a chaos, I don't think ANY matter of importance will be appropriately addressed. Anyway, I'll just press-on regardless and let them get on with it.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Don't overlook phalaenopsis! In nature, They are DEEP shade plants. In fact, they tend to bloom better under less slight.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Don't overlook phalaenopsis! In nature, They are DEEP shade plants. In fact, they tend to bloom better under less slight.
    I dunno why, but I never seem to be successful with Phal's. I've had several and the buds go brown and then fall off. I do have one left, which has a second growth of leaves growing from the base of the main plant? (not had this before) I'll move it to a shadier place. Thanks for the advice.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Your cold loving mazzies flourish, and you can’t grow phallies in the same room.... of course not.
    Get it warm enough for your phallies to really thrive, and you will find your mazzies are not flourishing any more. Simple !

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Your cold loving mazzies flourish, and you can’t grow phallies in the same room.... of course not.
    Get it warm enough for your phallies to really thrive, and you will find your mazzies are not flourishing any more. Simple !
    Ha! I have 5 separate growing areas in my 1 room and it has just one large South facing 'bay' window... ALL of my orchids fair well as they are, but like I say, I've not had much success with Phal's. The largest part of the window is devoted to 3 Vanda's which in turn provides a dappled shade for 2 Cattleya's. Next to these (in a 2 inch tray) are two Phrag's which are permently wet & fanned. Along side these I have an indoor water feature which provides humidity for 1 Brassica... To the East side of the window I have 4 warm-loving Paph's and next to these are 2 cool loving paph's which again are provided with fan's and humidity... Below these in the coolest area of the room are my 2 Mass's and these are also fanned 24/7 together with a sonic-fogger. I use car window Sun Screen's to protect any plant that cannot tolerate direct sunlight and the vast majority of my plants have their pots upon shallow trays, lined with shingle and a top layer of sphagnum moss which I keep permently moist. I ONLY use rain water or RO. The fans that I use (7 in total) are small 5 inch diameter and USB run. They enable me to direct the cool air wherever it is needed and the Mass's get an extra fan throughout the night... As I'm disabled and rarely venture outside, I can devote most of my time to my plants and so they get as best I can in terms of watering regime's, heat regulation and humidity requirements etc. The only 2 plants which have yet to flower are the Phrag Kovachii and a Masdevallia Veitchiana both of which are producing new growth and doing well... I've also recently purchased a Bulbo' Arfakianum which I'm trying to learn about as it's my first Bulbo, and that's about it apart from the one previously mentioned Paph… and yes, all in the same one room.