Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phallies in clear pots.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Ascda, Vanda, Paphs.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Phallies in clear pots.

I put these pics in for info & discussion.
    I was given this Phal. January last year as a Birthday present. Green algae was abundant in the pot around the roots. I put it in the black pot on day one. I hung it up with the Aerides.
    Given the 3 mths nil attention it got starting 2 weeks after getting it, apart from water once a week & the heater blowing up mid to end of winter, this is how it appears now. The current spike opened early December 2012.

Name:  IMG_0307.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  32.7 KBName:  IMG_0308.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  32.0 KBName:  IMG_0309.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  59.0 KB

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks “Roy” for images you upload; it’s nice and great orchids you have. It’s an informative for us.
    Thank You.

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Good growing. One of the advantages of clear pots is the ability to evaluate the condition of the roots and to determine when the medium is dry. Whether the clear pot is used alone or inside another pot doesn't really matter. You can still see what's happening inside. The roots on your phal look very healthy.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks “tucker85” for replying. I totally agree with you. Thanks for reply it’s an informative reply for me.

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

I'm with Roy on this - changing from a the clear pot to a black one. I have visited big phal nurseries where they have thousands of plants growing in clear pots, but these pots are placed close together side by side so these pots are completely shaded from any light. With no light reaching these pots green algae wont grow, but once in our grow area where the pot gets light from all sides, algae will soon cover the whole of the inside of the pot. Whether this is harmful to the plants is debatable, but it is very unsightly.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

I would present the arguement that the algae issue depends upon one's conditions. Most of my chids are in clear pots, and only a few have had any algae issues -- and that includes the ones that sit in front of windows. However, having said that, I would add that the majority of said plants are catt types, and the media gets fairly well dried out between waterings most of the time.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    I'm with Roy on this - changing from a the clear pot to a black one. I have visited big phal nurseries where they have thousands of plants growing in clear pots, but these pots are placed close together side by side so these pots are completely shaded from any light. With no light reaching these pots green algae wont grow, but once in our grow area where the pot gets light from all sides, algae will soon cover the whole of the inside of the pot. Whether this is harmful to the plants is debatable, but it is very unsightly.
    Great job! “catttan”. It’s an informative reply and I hope it can help us.

Real Name
    Sue Hayter
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Most!
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you Cattan and tucker 85. This is very informative to me and a "newby"! Mine are all grown in clear pots, but I would like to ask you guys what you think about spag. moss as a "mulch". I notice isn't using it on his phals, only some sort of white "mulch" (sorry, don't know what it is!). . Your advice would be welcome.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

I grow all my Phals in clear plastic pots as I have read that their roots perform photosynthesis and are less likely to stick out of the pot if it is transparent. I keep them in a south windowsill and let them get a bit on the dry side between waterings. So far the only cases with algae growth in the pot have been the ones that came that way from the store. The ones that have been repotted are all algae-free even though they get plenty of sunlight exposure... My approach is probably inapplicable in greenhouse conditions which are obviously different.
    But I was wondering about another thing, namely, whether it makes any sense to plant orchids other than Phals in clear pots, say Cattleyas for one thing. Some of mine - specifically repotted ones - grow in clear pots and seem to thrive, no algae problem there either. Do the pots really make any difference here?

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Thank you Cattan and tucker 85. This is very informative to me and a "newby"! Mine are all grown in clear pots, but I would like to ask you guys what you think about spag. moss as a "mulch". I notice isn't using it on his phals, only some sort of white "mulch" (sorry, don't know what it is!). . Your advice would be welcome.
    Sorry Sue, I'm probably the last person to ask regarding sphag moss - under my growing conditions/regime it has been my experience that it retains too much moisture, breaks down too fast, and has been responsible for most of the death of my phals and paphs. I now remove all sphag moss from newly acquired plants.Remember this only applies to me; others swear by them.