Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Dendrobium Dawn Maree (Peloric)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Greg
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Default Dendrobium Dawn Maree (Peloric)

I just received this dendrobium plant today. My favorite colors in orchids is a white and orange combination together. When I saw this online, I had to order it. The plant is quite large. I think that being a peloric Den. Dawn Maree completely changes the appearance and makes this den look incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

It is such a happy looking orchid. I like the vibrant orange in the coloring.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Greg
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks. I have a question for you. Is my plant a peloric or is it a splash? What is the difference? There are two sellers in India that have had this orchid in the past, and the title of the plant is Dendrobium Dawn Maree Splash. I know my plant is very rare. It is my understanding that a 'splash' orchid is a form of being peloric. What is your opinion? Thanks, Greg.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gjanick1 View Post
    Thanks. I have a question for you. Is my plant a peloric or is it a splash? What is the difference? There are two sellers in India that have had this orchid in the past, and the title of the plant is Dendrobium Dawn Maree Splash. I know my plant is very rare. It is my understanding that a 'splash' orchid is a form of being peloric. What is your opinion? Thanks, Greg.
    'Splash' is just the name given to this orchid. It doesn't mean it is peloric. Peloric describes the shape of an orchid (or flower, or plant leaves, ect..). Here is a great article about peloric and a good definition: "Peloria is a term used to describe the condition when usually irregular flowers, such as those of the typically bisymmetrical orchid, produce floral parts of each set that are alike, thus achieving radial symmetry (more or less). The term peloria (interestingly, Greek for monster) was coined by Linnaeus, the 18th-century Swedish botanist who established the binomial system of nomenclature, after he observed the condition on Linaria vulgaris (butter-and-eggs)." from orchids.org

cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

I love it Greg! One of my favorite colors is orange!

Real Name
    Greg
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I love it Greg! One of my favorite colors is orange!
    Thanks Sheryl. I have always loved orange and white colors in combination with each other. I just looked at my plant again yesterday. All the original blooms in the picture are now gone, but there are a lot of new buds and one flower ready to replace the spent flowers. I have added a few pictures. This plant is my favorite orchid of all, and I know that it is quite rare.
    Name:  IMG_20230106_094353 downsized.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  74.5 KBName:  IMG_20230106_094313 downsized.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  34.3 KBName:  IMG_20230106_094236 downsized.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  32.0 KBName:  IMG_20230106_094230 downsized.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  41.8 KB

---------- Post Merged at 03:15 AM ----------

Thanks Bruce. There are others on the internet who have opposite opinions about splash being a form of peloric. But I guess it doesn't matter so much. I will go with your concept and thus my plant's name is Dendrobium Dawn Maree Splash (making it even more rare--LOL).

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    'Splash' is just the name given to this orchid. It doesn't mean it is peloric. Peloric describes the shape of an orchid (or flower, or plant leaves, ect..). Here is a great article about peloric and a good definition: "Peloria is a term used to describe the condition when usually irregular flowers, such as those of the typically bisymmetrical orchid, produce floral parts of each set that are alike, thus achieving radial symmetry (more or less). The term peloria (interestingly, Greek for monster) was coined by Linnaeus, the 18th-century Swedish botanist who established the binomial system of nomenclature, after he observed the condition on Linaria vulgaris (butter-and-eggs)." from orchids.org

cheers,
    BD
    Bruce. I have added some other opinions about 'splash' and 'peloric'.
    1. "The Cattleya Alliance has a variety of rather familiar peloric examples represented by any of the flared or splash-petal types." (Monstrous Orchids (Peloric)) 2. Splash - petal An orchid flower that modifies its petals by duplicating the coloring found on the lip; a type of peloric condition.(Orchid Glossory)
    3. "In peloric orchids, the lip pattern is repeated in the petals, either by their form, color, or both. This makes a unique orchid and is very sought after. The mutation has become a stabilized trait passed on from one generation to the next. Many orchid growers sell peloric orchids with three “lips” and they are quite charming. An example is the variety of Splash Cattleyas, which is a term used to explain the colors that repeat on the two petals, creating a line of vibrant color across the orchid." (https://orchideria.com/peloric-orchids/)

Real Name
    Lutz Haunert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

A very pretty dendrobium. The orange is very pleasant to look at. I like it very much.

Real Name
    Greg
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Dankeshoen!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gjanick1 View Post
    Bruce. I have added some other opinions about 'splash' and 'peloric'.
    1. "The Cattleya Alliance has a variety of rather familiar peloric examples represented by any of the flared or splash-petal types." (Monstrous Orchids (Peloric)) 2. Splash - petal An orchid flower that modifies its petals by duplicating the coloring found on the lip; a type of peloric condition.(Orchid Glossory)
    3. "In peloric orchids, the lip pattern is repeated in the petals, either by their form, color, or both. This makes a unique orchid and is very sought after. The mutation has become a stabilized trait passed on from one generation to the next. Many orchid growers sell peloric orchids with three “lips” and they are quite charming. An example is the variety of Splash Cattleyas, which is a term used to explain the colors that repeat on the two petals, creating a line of vibrant color across the orchid." (https://orchideria.com/peloric-orchids/)
    Thank you, Greg!
    Cheers,
    BD