Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My greenhouse etc... the first of a series of postings...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Nice greenhouse, and your plants are all healthy. Good job!

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I wouldn't put too much stock in the 22 mph "optimal" wind speed.
    Somewhere here on another thread recently there was a discussion on "important factors to optimum plant growth" or some such and I chimed in that I believe that good air movement is paramount.
    I'm not going to disagree with your perspective Ray because I have read a lot of your writings and have great respect for the scientific approaches you have developed over the years. And this orchid disease is, at its heart, a scientific endeavor, no?
    I would just like to point out what my personal experience has been in regards to that one component.
    When I had my greenhouse here in NH I fought constantly with pests of all kinds. Aphids, mealy bugs, spider mites. you name it and they were in there somewhere. When I moved my collection to the Keys 3 years ago they started living in a shadehouse that is less than 200 feet from the shoreline. As you can imagine, being on an island directly between the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico creates almost constant wind, often in the 20-30 mph range for days on end. I believe the actual year-round daily average is something like 12 mph.
    Anyway- I have not had to deal with a single pest issue since they went into that shadehouse. The only other things different are 1) no artificial light needed now (love your set-up Geoff- very similar to what I did in my NH GH) 2) some slight tinkering with fertilizers for water quality deltas and 3) they get rain water year round vs. summer only. (and we very rarely get rain in the winter so the difference is insignificant) and finally, it's warmer with way more sun (natural light). Hence my belief that heavy air movement is highly desirable in avoiding insects and disease. I had 2 large oscillating floor fans in my 12x16 GH but even that does not give you the movement necessary indoors at all levels from the ground up.

Geoff- outstanding work there.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Wow Geoff! Great work and knowledge! Your devotion and patience for 60 years has and will continue to benefit so many of us. Thanks!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Leigh,

While I cannot argue with success, I WILL state that there's a lot more different about a greenhouse in New Hampshire and outdoors in Florida than just air movement.

I know that in the case of my greenhouse in Pennsylvania, for example, the greenhouse can become something of an "oasis" for insect pests of all sorts. It offers a good environment for them year-round, and excludes a lot of their predators. Now that I am growing outdoors all summer here in North Carolina, and my plants are on a deck that is fairly enclosed so there is not a lot of air movement, I'm seeing almost no insect issues either.

Besides the need for air movement around orchids is more for drying water droplets and preventing stuff like mold spores from settling then it is about keeping insects away.

Real Name
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Keysguy View Post
    Somewhere here on another thread recently there was a discussion on "important factors to optimum plant growth" or some such and I chimed in that I believe that good air movement is paramount.
    I'm not going to disagree with your perspective Ray because I have read a lot of your writings and have great respect for the scientific approaches you have developed over the years. And this orchid disease is, at its heart, a scientific endeavor, no?
    I would just like to point out what my personal experience has been in regards to that one component.
    When I had my greenhouse here in NH I fought constantly with pests of all kinds. Aphids, mealy bugs, spider mites. you name it and they were in there somewhere. When I moved my collection to the Keys 3 years ago they started living in a shadehouse that is less than 200 feet from the shoreline. As you can imagine, being on an island directly between the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico creates almost constant wind, often in the 20-30 mph range for days on end. I believe the actual year-round daily average is something like 12 mph.
    Anyway- I have not had to deal with a single pest issue since they went into that shadehouse. The only other things different are 1) no artificial light needed now (love your set-up Geoff- very similar to what I did in my NH GH) 2) some slight tinkering with fertilizers for water quality deltas and 3) they get rain water year round vs. summer only. (and we very rarely get rain in the winter so the difference is insignificant) and finally, it's warmer with way more sun (natural light). Hence my belief that heavy air movement is highly desirable in avoiding insects and disease. I had 2 large oscillating floor fans in my 12x16 GH but even that does not give you the movement necessary indoors at all levels from the ground up.

Geoff- outstanding work there.
    Great observations, Keysguy.
    I too had the pest problem go away when I moved my plants, but I believe it was due to the improved general health of the plants resulting from the move.

---------- Post Merged at 06:20 AM ----------

Very enjoyable post, Dorsetman!
    I visited a friend's greenhouse last weekend, the first visit in many years.
    Your greenhouse reminds me a lot of his setup.
    One thing that struck me when I walked in his place was the high humidity; very difficult to achieve in this arid climate!
    He does nothing to increase humidity in there, but the place is filled to the rafters with plants. It seems that the number of plants helps with this issue.
    I am still rebuilding my collection, so not quite there yet.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals & Cats
    Member's Country Flag

Wow, looking at the photos sure brings back memories. I am so jealous, you have a great looking setup both plants and greenhouse.

Louis