Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: One for JDT

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default One for JDT

We had hoped to make it to the Ottawa show this past weekend but things being what they are had to stay home and work. Would have loved to see this one in person. At least then, I might known the name.

Name:  Ottawa show bulbo.JPG
Views: 652
Size:  324.5 KB

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

It is hard to say exactly as there are many different species that will look like that bloom, from what I have that has bloomed it could be a Bulbophyllum lepidum, Bulbophyllum mastersianum, Bulbophyllum longiflorum or Bulbophyllum pulchellun or even a hybrid, I can not say for sure, maybe some one else can! Remember I am one who could care less if I don't have a name for one of my orchids it's nice if I do, if I like the bloom is all I am mainly interested in!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Even though Bulbophyllum is not my favourite but who wouldn't be amazed by that! I see two different sizes, broad petals and narrow petals. Are they different or the narrow ones are not opened yet?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Wowzer!!!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Azizan View Post
    Even though Bulbophyllum is not my favourite but who wouldn't be amazed by that! I see two different sizes, broad petals and narrow petals. Are they different or the narrow ones are not opened yet?
    All one plant Azizan

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Looks awesome!!.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

May I kindly ask if you can help me with this 'Tiger Hood' species? How often to water etc. It's my first Bulpo and so I'm at a loss. The first photos are the seller's, and then my own photos of the plant received today.
    The pot that it's in has no drainage holes, which is concerning to me, but am unsure if re-potting it is too soon???

Name:  Bulpo4.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Bulpo5.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  90.2 KB

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    May I kindly ask if you can help me with this 'Tiger Hood' species? How often to water etc. It's my first Bulpo and so I'm at a loss. The first photos are the seller's, and then my own photos of the plant received today.
    The pot that it's in has no drainage holes, which is concerning to me, but am unsure if re-potting it is too soon???

Name:  Bulpo4.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Bulpo5.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  90.2 KB
    There are several species of bulbos that have this type of bloom, you need to determine which one you have first to know the best care instructions for you to succeed. Who every you purchased this from should be able to tell you what the name is instead of 'Tiger Hood' that is not the given name of this bulbo. You need very good draining, the more drainage holes the better, they like to stay damp but not soaking wet as the roots will rot. As it is growing over the side of the pot it would be best, but not a requirement, for the entire plant to be in media. More information is needed to help but if you get the name from the person you purchased this from just do a check online for that name for care instructions. I am in the sub-tropical area of Florida and I get heat and humidity most of the year so my growing requirements are different then yours would be as you are in England, but they are still possible to be kept there just different requirements are needed.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    There are several species of bulbos that have this type of bloom, you need to determine which one you have first to know the best care instructions for you to succeed. Who every you purchased this from should be able to tell you what the name is instead of 'Tiger Hood' that is not the given name of this bulbo. You need very good draining, the more drainage holes the better, they like to stay damp but not soaking wet as the roots will rot. As it is growing over the side of the pot it would be best, but not a requirement, for the entire plant to be in media. More information is needed to help but if you get the name from the person you purchased this from just do a check online for that name for care instructions. I am in the sub-tropical area of Florida and I get heat and humidity most of the year so my growing requirements are different then yours would be as you are in England, but they are still possible to be kept there just different requirements are needed.
    PHEW! I have at last established that it's a Bulbo Arfakianum, which I'm unsure what to do to give it a fighting chance to bloom OR survive... The heat, light, watering, humidity & air distribution isn't a problem (I have that much sorted) but I'm at a loss when it comes to potting it or mounting it... My photo's show the state of the plant when I received it, but have now re-potted it in a mix of bark & pearlite within a basket and have buried all the roots as best I can coz they weren't very long and so the plant is sitting shallow in its pot!. However, I'd really like to know if it would be better if I mounted it? BUT, I've never done this before with any other of my plants... I'd sure like some help if you can? Such as how to do this best? I've only heard that you can use nylon fishing line to secure the pant, but to what I secure it to, hell knows! It's 'looking' healthy (which is at least something) but ??? :-(

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    PHEW! I have at last established that it's a Bulbo Arfakianum, which I'm unsure what to do to give it a fighting chance to bloom OR survive... The heat, light, watering, humidity & air distribution isn't a problem (I have that much sorted) but I'm at a loss when it comes to potting it or mounting it... My photo's show the state of the plant when I received it, but have now re-potted it in a mix of bark & pearlite within a basket and have buried all the roots as best I can coz they weren't very long and so the plant is sitting shallow in its pot!. However, I'd really like to know if it would be better if I mounted it? BUT, I've never done this before with any other of my plants... I'd sure like some help if you can? Such as how to do this best? I've only heard that you can use nylon fishing line to secure the pant, but to what I secure it to, hell knows! It's 'looking' healthy (which is at least something) but ??? :-(
    From what I know of B. arfakianum they do best grown in pots or baskets with a media mix that retains some moisture but it does not like to stay constantly wet. Requirements are warm temperatures and light shade. I would try to find something else to add to your mix other then bark and pearlite not sure that is enough to hold the moisture it needs between watering, go with what you have it in now and keep an eye on the leaves as if it is not getting enough moisture it will let you know and if required you might add a little bit of cut up sphagnum to the mix for moisture retention.