Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: question about potting an orchid

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Smile question about potting an orchid

Ok eaglsson was right i am hooked.....
    i bought 2 more orchids tonight and my question is, both are blooming but potted in moss, should i wait for the blooms to finish and repot or will repotting now kill them?

also my orchid food is 19-31-17
    after reading over the forums i havent seen any that high in the middle number, not that i actually know what the numbers mean, i did find some new orchid food tonight with lower numbers which i will go back and read at the store but i didnt buy any yet till i find out what im doing.

another thing, the first one i bought after playing with my 10 year old neglected baby has white roots all over the top, its planted in the really large chuncky redwood, also blooming but this cant be good for it no?

someone wave a magic wand and make me know all this instantly hehe

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Crickets View Post
    Ok eaglsson was right i am hooked.....
    i bought 2 more orchids tonight and my question is, both are blooming but potted in moss, should i wait for the blooms to finish and repot or will repotting now kill them?

also my orchid food is 19-31-17
    after reading over the forums i havent seen any that high in the middle number, not that i actually know what the numbers mean, i did find some new orchid food tonight with lower numbers which i will go back and read at the store but i didnt buy any yet till i find out what im doing.

another thing, the first one i bought after playing with my 10 year old neglected baby has white roots all over the top, its planted in the really large chuncky redwood, also blooming but this cant be good for it no?

someone wave a magic wand and make me know all this instantly hehe
    From what I understand, white roots (aerial roots??) are a good thing (orchids are basically air plants), and bark is much better than moss. My Phal is in bark, has those white roots on top, and seems very happy. Still has those two blooms, and a bud peeking out between the blooms. My Hawaiian Leopard is in s/h, and seems equally happy, as I am finding new growth almost daily. Can't wait to see that baby when she blooms!!

As for your fertilizer, the middle number should be higher during blooming (at least I think that's what I read), but you should be diluting it to a weak solution and feed weekly (or, weakly, weekly). I'm using a balanced formula Miracle Grow, and I think I used it 1/4 strength.

There is no magic wand unfortunately. I have spent days on end here, reading everything I can (who needs to clean??). I will be joining one or two local societies in the next two weeks, and mostly, I talk to my new babies every day. Talking to them makes me take a good close look at them, and that way I can hopefully stop any problems before they get started. Worst case (or best), the AOS is just about a 1/2 hour drive from here, and they have an orchid doctor on site once or twice a week to offer help and advice for problems.

Basically, after reading and reading here on site, I think it's a matter of trial and error. What works for one, sometimes isn't the best solution for another.

Default help with potting

I am a new comer to this list, plese forgive me if I am posting wrong. I have a question that I know will sound silly to the experts, my daughter gave me a beautiful orchid last year. I have been taking normal care of it, all of a sudden it starting sprouting all these lead? from the base of the plant.......I put it into a bigger pot but they keep coming.there very long and hang over the pot onto the counter, help.............what are these and what do I do

thank you so much for any help

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jtdearmin View Post
    I am a new comer to this list, plese forgive me if I am posting wrong. I have a question that I know will sound silly to the experts, my daughter gave me a beautiful orchid last year. I have been taking normal care of it, all of a sudden it starting sprouting all these lead? from the base of the plant.......I put it into a bigger pot but they keep coming.there very long and hang over the pot onto the counter, help.............what are these and what do I do

thank you so much for any help
    As one of the newbie, non experts here, it sounds like you have a very happy plant. Can you post a photo? And do you know what kind of orchid it is?

Oh yeah........

Default help with these THINGS

please dont laugh.................I have a greyhound adoption kennel that takes most of m time, but I do love my flowers and want to learn all I can and take good care of them, hope I have the picture in here, cant seem to get it uploaded

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

You may have to resize it. Shouldn't be more than 700 on the longest side.

This should be helpful:

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...tml#post105368

I think what you're doing with the Greyhounds is a very admirable thing!! Be proud!!

ahh ok so weak weekly no normal no strong, got it, what about repotting while blooming? im afraid to do that so im asking. wouldnt want to send it into shock and drop the pretty flowers

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Crickets View Post
    a.......what about repotting while blooming? im afraid to do that so im asking. wouldnt want to send it into shock and drop the pretty flowers
    No problem as long as you do not disturb the roots too much.

Cheers,
    BD