Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Orchid Grow Records Database

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default Orchid Grow Records Database

A new feature has been added to our community, the Orchid Grow Record Database. This database is designed to group each member's personal orchid records and photos under her/his username. Inside the database you can fill in the answers to over 30 different orchid culture questions as well as upload photos and add your own text/ descriptions, etc. Below is a list of the some of the fields you will find when posting an entry:

Orchid Genus, Species/Hybrid, Cross/ Parents, Cultivar Name, Variety, Award, Ploidy, Bloom Color(s), Country of Origin, Plant Maturity, Fragrance, Fertilizer, Humidity, Temperature, Grow area, Vendor/ Place where acquired, Costs, and a whole lot more.....

This system is designed to be a full orchid database and also to be a fountain of information for the members and guests of our orchid community. Not only can you upload up to 25 photos per entry, you can reply to your own entries with updates so when you divided your plant or s or repotted your plant, etc..., you can add that to your orchid record.

To keep the entries clean and free of discussion, only the member who posted the entry can reply to her/his entry, but all members can see and rate the entries. Have a question about something you have read in a member's orchid record, use the contact link to send that member a private message or post in the public forum and link to the record. Want to pass on a compliment, post a visitor message on that member's profile page or start a thread with a link to the orchid grow record.

And the best news for me since I recently went through a computer crash and lost lots of photos and my entire orchid journal is: The information contained in this database will be backed-up twice a day along with the forum; the information is very secure! No more lost records because of a computer crash or software glitches. And it is available to access anywhere you can reach the internet - even from your mobile device.

Only members who are active in the community will have access to post new entries in the database. Brand new members will need to get to know the community guidelines and posting rules before submitting records in the database. But don't worry, you will be posting in the database soon!

Have a question about this new OrchidTalk feature - post it here! If I have missed a piece of information you think should be included in the record, let me know. I can add it.

I have entered three slipper orchids into the system to get things started. You may have noticed the new tab at the top middle of the page or the new display module on the lobby page under the slide show. Check it out and let me know what you think. I hope it will be a valuable resource for our community.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Jamie Glisson
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7

I can't wait to use this feature!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

So it's available now?

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

Oh, I didn't know about this, might also be interested in using it if its functional. I see the original post was 2011. Seeing you mention losing your records off your computer makes me glad I'm keeping my few in a notebook and printing the pictures (not as nice as having a searchable database and digital pictures, but probably more secure). Now if I had hundreds instead of less than 50, doing it by hand might be pretty laborious though.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by moniluhum View Post
    So it's available now?
    Yes here: Orchid Grow Records Database. I've disabled it for new entries since it never really picked-up. I was the only one to ever use it, so I just kept it as a record. I may go back to it at some point, but it would need to be re-worked a bit and updated with the new changes in orchid names since 2011.

cheers,
    BD