Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plumeria but wrong color

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

The tips I thought had a pinkish hue but it appears not to be there anymore. I guess I just focus on liking what I have and waiting for the other to bloom which won't be this year. It's still not much more than a twig.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

I live in an area where Plumeria thrive, and I have NEVER seen one colored like that - I think you have been scammed. Also, that photo looks like it had the color altered.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Yug View Post
    I live in an area where Plumeria thrive, and I have NEVER seen one colored like that - I think you have been scammed. Also, that photo looks like it had the color altered.
    Whether or not she's been scammed or not is something we can't prove. We don't know that a Lavender plumeria couldn't exist in some other parts of the world, so I leave an open mind.

However purchasing online other than from reputable sellers is a crap shoot. I purchase online often but unless I'm in desperate need, will only purchase from top rated sellers.

When it comes to colors, we have to keep in mind that it depends on the camera being used as some cameras tend to change the colors. What you see is not always what you get, depending on the camera's capabilities and how the user is able to manipulate the image using an imaging program like Photoshop.

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I try to think that it may have been an honest mistake as sticks look alike. I didn't spend any more than I would have on a regular plumeria so I guess it's all good. I just hope my friend's plumeria bloom the color that she liked. It is suspect they had 12,000 sales and are suddenly gone a year later but oh well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
    Whether or not she's been scammed or not is something we can't prove. We don't know that a Lavender plumeria couldn't exist in some other parts of the world, so I leave an open mind.

However purchasing online other than from reputable sellers is a crap shoot. I purchase online often but unless I'm in desperate need, will only purchase from top rated sellers.

When it comes to colors, we have to keep in mind that it depends on the camera being used as some cameras tend to change the colors. What you see is not always what you get, depending on the camera's capabilities and how the user is able to manipulate the image using an imaging program like Photoshop.
    Look at the way the color is distributed on the outer portion of the petals. Usually you have a 'pinwheel' type appearance or a disc of some color distributed in the center and flowing outward (like some hibiscus), and that color is generally yellow. The one in the photo shows the color on the outer portion, and definitely not in the pinwheel type pattern that is generally seen unless the color completely saturates the bloom. Also, the colors we normally see are white, yellow or red, and any combination of those. This bloom would have had to have some blue to mix with the red to result in what the picture shows - again, this is not a color I have ever seen, and I stand by it. The only time I've seen a color distribution in that pattern was on some of the fake plumeria blooms that the ladies put in their hair.

It would not be the first time I've seen someone fraudulently representing what they sell. Once I saw an orchid vendor selling a Peristeria elata that had a picture showing it as pink. Other than the maroon to pink markings on the 'dove' looking formation inside the bloom, the rest is always white. I asked if they had a pink one blooming to verify that it does come in that shade, but of course they didn't have any of those - tried to tell me it was out of season for blooming (while trying to hide the white blooming ones that they had for sample plants). Uh-huh.

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I do believe they are not
    This color in nature. I've done some
    Investigating since I posted last and found them on a different site same pictures and people are posting that these don't exist. Oh well live and learn. Least it wasn't expensive.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device