Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need Physan 20?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

That is true, Jojo, but a drop of dishwashing liquid will do the same thing ( wetting agent ), mixed with 10% bleach. Betty :-)

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

You are lucky to have Physan available. Physan 20 is I think the version designed for higher temperature areas (the tropics) and ordinary Physan for temperate zone areas. It is great for plant hygiene, which means cleaner stronger healthier plants.
    Unfortunately it is no longer sold here in UK ( it is not "licensed" and doing all the work to get a licence would cost , so I am told US$400,000...due to bureacracy - which gets me steamed up....) and the cost of a trip to New York, for however many gallons I could get in my luggage to bring home is just not on - but I did consider it !
    I used it from about 1990 onwards, until the supply stopped last year. I always added some to the water used for my orchids or for spraying ,at the rate of anything from 1:5000 ( in water/nutrient mix) down to about1:1000 which is approx 1 teaspoon in 1 gallon for spraying all the foliage once a month . It is a fungicide, insecticide, miticide, etc - or in other words a disinfectant which most pests will dislike, so that they don't hang around and don't spread. It is also a very good wetting agent , which means that the water really spreads around and there are no dry corners.
    This practice - the monthly spray - started when I visited and was told that this is what they do at the Eric Young Foundation which has one of the best grown orchid collections in the world. What's good enough for them, will do for me.
    Nowadays I use another similar product which is licensed in UK - one actually intended for sterilising surfaces used for food preparation - almost identical chemical formulation, and a lot cheaper per gallon ( Selgiene) but I have to use it a bit stronger down to 1:500.
    Go for Physan !
    Last edited by Dorsetman; October 18th, 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typos

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by espranch View Post
    That is true, Jojo, but a drop of dishwashing liquid will do the same thing ( wetting agent ), mixed with 10% bleach. Betty :-)
    Yes I agree and it is a much cheaper method too.

Although the thing I like about Physan 20 is its ability to kill algae growth and also its ability as a deterrent against mosquito larvae developing into winged adults. This ability specially against mosquitoes is very helpful for us growers here in the tropics, specially in the Philippines where the risk of dengue is a reality.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaByNight View Post
    Yes I agree and it is a much cheaper method too.

Although the thing I like about Physan 20 is its ability to kill algae growth and also its ability as a deterrent against mosquito larvae developing into winged adults. This ability specially against mosquitoes is very helpful for us growers here in the tropics, specially in the Philippines where the risk of dengue is a reality.
    Dishwashing agent is not a good idea . The one often sold in UK is Fairy Liquid - with the tv jingle "kind to your hands" - that is because it has glycerine included. Kind to your hands, but not to your plants ! Glycerine tends to clog up the stomata - plants can't breathe then. Don't do it. A wetting agent , yes, buit dishwasher rinse aid , dishwasher liquid, no, no, no....

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Geoff for the tip.

Hadn't thought about the glycerine content ...

Real Name
    Danuta Panczyk
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Unfortunately it is no longer sold here in UK ( it is not "licensed" and doing all the work to get a licence would cost , so I am told US$400,000...due to bureacracy - which gets me steamed up....) and the cost of a trip to New York, for however many gallons I could get in my luggage to bring home is just not on - but I did consider it !
    My friend bought from internet auction physan from firm from USA. 6,90 cost + US $16,00 shipping. Packet reached to Poland without problems after several days.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

That would not have been a very large quantity I think ? I used to buy it in 1 US gallon bottles , and the UK price was about the same as US$120 - of course things imported from USA always cost morein UK- at one time I used to do my shopping for clothes in Florida - if I filled a case, the savings paid the air-fare . I never understood why there was such a difference.

Real Name
    Danuta Panczyk
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

In was packaging 16oz. 128 oz Physan 20 Gallon costs about US $35

Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    You are lucky to have Physan available. Physan 20 is I think the version designed for higher temperature areas (the tropics) and ordinary Physan for temperate zone areas. It is great for plant hygiene, which means cleaner stronger healthier plants.
    I used it from about 1990 onwards, until the supply stopped last year. I always added some to the water used for my orchids or for spraying ,at the rate of anything from 1:5000 ( in water/nutrient mix) down to about1:1000 which is approx 1 teaspoon in 1 gallon for spraying all the foliage once a month . It is a fungicide, insecticide, miticide, etc - or in other words a disinfectant which most pests will dislike, so that they don't hang around and don't spread. It is also a very good wetting agent , which means that the water really spreads around and there are no dry corners.
    This practice - the monthly spray - started when I visited and was told that this is what they do at the Eric Young Foundation which has one of the best grown orchid collections in the world. What's good enough for them, will do for me.
    Nowadays I use another similar product which is licensed in UK - one actually intended for sterilising surfaces used for food preparation - almost identical chemical formulation, and a lot cheaper per gallon ( Selgiene) but I have to use it a bit stronger down to 1:500.
    Go for Physan !
    I have been looking for a biocide that could be used as an alternative to physan 20 too.

I googled selgiene and it brought up Selgiene Ultra by Selden, is this the right one?

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Can you use Physan 20 as a preventive say for example if your not sure the plant has the fungus? Also, if you have applied it on a affected plant. How long afterward do you have to quarantine the plant?